Not Sweet Like Custard -- but still wondering

simmie

This is being heavily debated as SWYPO and/or not in the spirit of Whole30, and I'm just not sure.  What do y'all think?  I'd like to get a Moderator's take on this......as well as some others.

It's NOT like the coconut milk custard that has a sweetness to it and is VERY shy on the protein.  
THIS is 3 eggs per serving -- the protein ratio is high and NOT sweet.

This makes 2 servings:
1c pumpkin puree
6 eggs
1/2c coconut cream
1t cinnamon
1t ginger
1t vanilla powder
pinch of salt.

Blend and bake at 375 until browned and set. Serves 2. NEED EXTRA VEG ON SIDE!

From the person who posted it: There are a few reasons why I don't consider this a 'baked good' at all. It's just eggs and pumpkin and coconut cream—no leavening, no flour, no sweeteners of any kind. The eggs are a full serving of protein. And it's great with extra veg or fruit on the side, or nuts on top if you need extra fat.

Just remember that it is NOT SWEET. If you are making this to have a sweet treat and are disappointed, rethink. If you just want a new way to make eggs or pumpkin, go for it!

SWYPO's don't have to be sweet.  It's the familiar formations that remind you of your former favorites that stir up old cravings.   One man's snake oil is another man's  SWYPO.  They have a cloyingly familiar tune or ring about them that's exactly like the real thing.     It's trying to take it right up to the razor's edge of dessertville and linger too long there.

I call this SWYPO and the fact that you are making a case for it is your mind's subtle way of trying to pull you back.   That's how SWYPO's are.   They speak to you....make me,  make me...and lo and behold you've eaten the whole darned recipe but it's not enough.   Next thing you know...you're at the grocery store lingering long over the baked goods and pies.   SWYPO's...that's the nature of the beast.

Paleo pancakes, monkey salad, paleo mug muffins are all made from compliant ingredients but those familiar formations lull many into compromise.   It may not be today but on Day 18 or later down the road.   Pumpkin rolls with cream cheese are a favorite recipe for this time of year.  I would be thinking about that the entire time I was eating pumpkin custard.    Roast a wide variety of vegetables on a baking sheet and have as many as you like.   

I hear ya, and my approach is to hold off......but I highly doubt there would be an issue if we just listed the ingredients without calling it custard.  While the recipe holds no interest for me, I doubt it will lead anyone down the wrong road......thanks (and waiting on a Moderator to weigh in).  Part of what makes this a debatable issue is that it is much higher in the protein aspect than custard would be....more like a frittata, but not really due to lack of veggies.

• Moderators

One of my all-time favorite Whole30 compliant recipes is Melissa Joulwan's Velvety Butternut Squash from Well Fed cookbook.

It's crazy good, and depending on the sweetness of my roasted butternut squash, sometimes seems almost pumpkin pie-like. But it's not SWYPO because it uses an entire head of roasted garlic and a spice blend that doesn't mimic pumpkin pie spice flavors. These two factors tip this dish into the savory category and thus it should not rouse your Sugar Dragon.

I highly recommend it. It's a great veggie side with a creamy mouthfeel. Don't forget to make your meal match the Meal Template!

There is also a recipe in the original 'Everyday Paleo' book that uses a similar egg/pumpkin souffle mixture but bakes it on top of a beef, spinach and onion saute.  It's fabulous and one of my favorite 'everyone-is-eating-pumpkin-during-my-October-Whole30" meals!  It's not sweet at all but definitely has that 'fall' feeling to it.

Archived