No time for an early breakfast

Everyday I get out of bed and head to the gym, I physically cant eat before I exercise and I then have an hours journey into work before I can grab my breakfast. Is there any point in continuing if one of the main tenants is to eat within an hour of getting up, that just will not happen!

Eating within an hour of waking is a recommendation for best results, not a rule. Pre wo, a hard boiled egg would suffice. You could boil a bunch ahead of time and pop one in before your workout.

If something like that isn't possible for you, consider at least a post-wo meal of lean protein and optional carb immediately after your workout, and then have a proper template meal of protein veg and fat after your trek into work.

I often pre-boil a few eggs (leaving the yolk a little soft as they are more easily digested), then eat the yolks preWO & bring the whites with me in a small tupperware to eat as soon as I'm done training, before I even hit the shower.

All in all it takes up less than 5mins of my day.

Failing that a spoonful or two of nut butter (more easily digested than actual nuts) for preWO & a few mouthfuls of pre-cooked chicken for post would work in exactly the same way.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Why can't you eat on your way to work?  A chicken sausage and a half a sweet potato or something would be good post workout.  I often eat exactly that in my car right after leaving the gym.  Even in warm summer weather I'm ok leaving that in my car for an hour if it was in the fridge before I left for the gym.  

Thanks I just don't see how I can make it work.

Sorry, but I gotta break out the tough love here: You don't want to make it work.

Eating an egg or a couple forkfuls of leftover meat or a packet of coconut butter on your way out the door is not something that you can not do. It is something you are choosing not to do. True, you don't have to do it if you don't want to (you also don't have to work out at all or do the whole30 for that matter), but be real. 

If you are asking if it is important for the whole30 to eat within an hour of waking, the answer is yes. Yes, you will miss out on some of the benefits of the program if you skip it. Now you get to decide if it is important to you. Personally, I would encourage you to try it for a while before dismissing it outright, but again: totally your decision to make.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to not eat prior to a workout, lots of people say that, but they don't really try it. You'll find lots of posts that say they never could but now they do.  I have a hard boiled egg before I leave to go to the gym, I used to have a handful of nuts as well before I cut out nuts completely. I go to the gym, shower/change and head to work and eat breakfast at my desk. Yes, its later than an hour, but it keeps me on track and after a workout I'm starving!

I bake a full pan of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week, and I roast a few squash.  Then I put one chicken breast and a hunk of squash (sweet potato is also a good choice) each into a to-go container - I usually get 6-8 servings so I'm good for the week, or I can use it in meals.  Grab it out of the fridge on the way to the gym.  If you're hungry, try a few bites of chicken pre-WO.  Or work out fasted.  Whatever.  Eat it in the locker room (or car/bus/whatever) afterwards.  I'm literally in the shower chewing on squash. 

You CAN do it, especially if you've got an hour journey (of course, be safe if you're eating and driving).

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Archived