Smoothies vs soup

coloradojg

Smoothies are fruit slurpees and almost always have a great deal of fruit sugars...even if it's a green smoothie. An over abundance of fruit sugars will jack your blood sugar up and not in a good way.

Soups are primarily vegetables and most people add protein to a soup.  Vegetable beef and so on. 

Smoothies are like baby food for adults.  No chewing and very little satiety. Same can be said for baby food pouches.  

I'm still new to this, but I've been using puréed vegetable soups as a side to my protein and other veggies. Mostly at "breakfast" (if you would have told my ten years younger self that, I most definitely would not have believed you, lol). So I am still chewing some other things at the same time. If I am really thinking I crumble some protein or roasted squash seeds onto the soup too. Yum. (Actually, if you had told me ten months ago that I would willingly enjoy a soup without crackers, I would have fainted).

I didn't mention veggies because my posts would be too long but your right. it might not look good to others who might not assume that if include veggies.. I've always heard asparagus goes well with eggs. Haven't ventured into frittatas yet but on another note I made mayo side last night for the first time.

This summer I took my left over chilled soups that i would have served in a bowl...(carrot/ginger/kale coup)  froze it onto popsicle sticks and had a great fast ice cold nutritious lunch I could grab on our way out the door on a steamy hot day 

I would have also poured it ice cold into a cup and drank it as a breakfast

It wasnt a substitute for a frozen sweet treat... it was a fast meal on the go

When I know I am making a pureed veggie soup for dinner and pre-make it in the am to heat through later.. I will grab a cup of it cold for breakfast with a few hard boiled eggs and a banana on my way out the door  (as I am more often then not... forced to eat on the go most mornings)

hot in a bowl.. or cold in a cup... or frozen on a stick... its the same soup

in some cases... its all relative 

Fruit on the other hand would be my downfall.. fruit or sweet smoothies would be to much like a desert for me

• 1 month later...

i drink 32 oz of green veggies every day (dental issues); but while researching this forum and the W30 site, the default seems to be "too much fruit". I will follow the rules if you tell me this is not compliant, but its the best way for me to get my veggies in:

1 celery, 1 carrot, 1c kale, 1c chard, 1 cucumber, 2 tsp tummeric, 1/4oz black pepper, 2 tbl chia seeds; 2 tbl flax seed; also parsley, or watercress. for fruit i use 1c blueberries (organic, NSA); 1 green apple; or 1 c mixed berries; 1 banana

its the only way for me to get in the fiber i need, cannot possibly chew all of the above and it helps get me through the day. This is not a sweet drink! but i would appreciate someone's feed back.

thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

pete

• Moderators

This is the official word on smoothies:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.NUENmg9d.dpuf

I don't know what your dental issues are, so I don't know what is/isn't possible for you -- is cooking the vegetables not enough to make them something you can eat? Could you eat different vegetables instead, if there are some that are softer/don't require as much chewing?

At the very least, cut the amount of fruit to match what's listed in the meal template, which is a closed handful -- unless your hands are huge, I cannot imagine that a cup of blueberries fits in a closed hand for you.

Archived