"Starch" in medications (not indicated as corn, potato, etc), Polyethylene glycol

amball

I'm starting my first Whole30 in a week and I have a couple questions I want to figure out before then. I've searched the forum and couldn't find answers, but forgive me if they have already been asked. 

1) I take several supplements (calcium+D, ferrous sulfate, vitamin) that list "starch" in the ingredients. Does anyone know what type of starch this likely is? Since it doesn't specify corn starch, can I assume that it's not?

2) Another ingredient in several of my supplements is polyethylene glycol. I know this is technically an alcohol, but it seem like it is included in almost all supplements. Is this allowed?

Thanks in advance!

On the whole30, Doctor prescribed medications get a pass, while supplements are more of a grey area. It is definitely worth seeking out supplements which do not contain off-plan ingredients (vitamin D, for example, is available in an olive oil base). If you can not find them, consider skipping the supplement during your whole30. Whole30 eating is nutrient dense and should eliminate the need for something like a multi-vitamin.

If you feel the supplements are medically necessary and can not find a substitute, then you might consider continuing to take them anyway, just know that some of your gut healing/reset may be compromised.

I don't feel like I can stop taking them, so now I'm questioning if I should even do the Whole30. Do you think it's still worth it if I can't follow it exactly because of my supplements? Is it all or none or would it be beneficial if I could minimize the supplements even if I can't eliminate them completely?

Thanks!

I agree with missmary. I have to take a prescription thyroid medication that contains both powdered sugar and cornstarch (I have no clue why!). I've worked with my doctor to try to switch medications, but nothing else works for me. My results on Whole30 have been very positive, and had I not taken the medication while on Whole30, I would not have been able to function by the end of the 30 days. So I DO recommend that folks who need medications and supplements do a Whole30 and know that you will still be able to benefit. All the best!

• 2 months later...

#Please help ASAP if at all possible

Sorry to piggy back off this forum, but I am new, and I couldn't quite figure out how to create a new forum feed. 

I have been gearing up to try the Whole 30 for the last month. I am due to start on Monday 4th April 2016, fro a minimum of 30 days. I suffer from many life long health issues, which involve taking medications. 

All my medications contain come sort of alcohol, sometimes in the purest form possible, alongside lactose,various starches including maize , and colourants, and flavours, though these are generally speaking natural colours and flavours, but this is not always the case. Not only are my oral meds effected,  but I also have creams etc that get absorbed through the skin, which also contain similar ingredients. The alcohol levels in some of my medications are enough to register a blood alcohol level. 

Obviously these ingredients are NOT Whole30 compliant.

I am not only prescribed a "couple of items", but my medications can potentially run to a minimum  of 27 items daily, in various tablets, nasal products, liquids, and creams. 

I cannot stop the vast majority of the oral medications as the potential culmination can produce life threatening side effects, in a short period of time, including hospitalisation due to not being able to eat/drink, as well as severe breathing difficulties, requiring hospital treatment. 

Is it still worth undertaking the Whole30? Does it destroy the whole ethos of the program?  Will having to take medications effect my progress/outcomes? 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Thank you. 

If your medications are prescribed by a doctor, then that trumps ALL the Whole30 rules. 

#Please help ASAP if at all possible

Sorry to piggy back off this forum, but I am new, and I couldn't quite figure out how to create a new forum feed. 

I have been gearing up to try the Whole 30 for the last month. I am due to start on Monday 4th April 2016, fro a minimum of 30 days. I suffer from many life long health issues, which involve taking medications. 

All my medications contain come sort of alcohol, sometimes in the purest form possible, alongside lactose,various starches including maize , and colourants, and flavours, though these are generally speaking natural colours and flavours, but this is not always the case. Not only are my oral meds effected,  but I also have creams etc that get absorbed through the skin, which also contain similar ingredients. The alcohol levels in some of my medications are enough to register a blood alcohol level. 

Obviously these ingredients are NOT Whole30 compliant.

I am not only prescribed a "couple of items", but my medications can potentially run to a minimum  of 27 items daily, in various tablets, nasal products, liquids, and creams. 

I cannot stop the vast majority of the oral medications as the potential culmination can produce life threatening side effects, in a short period of time, including hospitalisation due to not being able to eat/drink, as well as severe breathing difficulties, requiring hospital treatment. 

Is it still worth undertaking the Whole30? Does it destroy the whole ethos of the program?  Will having to take medications effect my progress/outcomes? 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Medications prescribed by a doctor trump ALL the Whole30 rules of things you can't have. It is definitely still worth doing a Whole30. 

Yep, absolutely, doctors orders trump Whole30 rules every time.

Also, whenever you have medications, make sure your doctor knows you're making food changes as they may want to review doses and things :)

Do not panic, you can still do Whole30 :DB) Hurrah! :wub:

On a side note to the much earlier question of unspecified mystery starch, depending on the medication (not everything is listed), some pharmacists can identify the kind of starch (or other vague ingredients) in a special information source they have, even when the label doesn't say something specific.

Thank you everybody, I had a major last minute panic, that I had geared up for the last month to do this, and it was all going to be for nothing. 

I did forget to mention some of my meds contain sugar as well, but I am guessing the same rules apply, that as it is prescribed by a GP, and is essential, it trumps the Whole30 rules so to speak? 

I will admit part of me is still anxious, knowing that my meds contain so many Whole30 no-nos. 

I have quite a healthy diet anyway, I am already gluten, wheat, dairy, and lactose free, and have various food allergies/intolerances, including eggs, with some thought to be due to oral pollen syndrome, as they effect reactions to various fruit and  vegetables. 

I am undertaking the Whole30, for health reasons, for a minimum of 30 days, to see if I can get any improvement, longer if it proves positive.

I guess I am just really anxious about doing anything which could negatively impact on the process. 

I realise I probably sound like a big fuss pot, but I am just so desperate at this stage for the Whole30 to have a positive outcome.

Fingers crossed, the countdown to Monday begins, even though I still don't feel ready, :unsure: but I think that would be the case even if I gave myself another month before starting. Onward and upward as they say  :)

Take a few deep breaths and relax. 

Regardless of what ingredients are in the medications, you need them. And that is perfectly fine. You can't control what ingredients go into the medications. 

But changing your relationship with food is something that you *can* control and that can only help you. 

Why don't you feel ready about starting on Monday? Is there anything other than the medications that is causing you to feel like you're not ready? As you said, you've been thinking about this for a while. 

You can do it!  :D

Thank you, laura_juggles  :)

I think it is just the fact of am I going to last the initial 30 days, and I have some hospital appointments, in the next month, with the first being next week, and despite having been back and forward to hospital my whole life, I always find I get anxious, and stressed when it comes to going to the hospital, sometimes starting getting stressed a week or more before the appointment. I am not too bad once I get in to the appointment, it is just the lead up to it. 

I am also doing the Whole30 solo. My partner has said he will support me as much as possible, by not bringing no-no foods in to the house, and he will try and make life easier by eating the same meals as me, evenings and weekends. He is trying to be supportive, even having read the Whole30 book. 

I am generally a very stubborn, and determined person, especially when I set my sights on something so to speak. 

I guess, even though I don't really rely on "junk" food as such, I am just doubting myself, despite the stubborn and determined part of me saying it is now, or never, and I have nothing to lose, and potentially only positive gains to make.   

Self doubt what a wonderful thing....NOT Lol!  :lol:

• Moderators

I'd say it's pretty normal to be stressed about upcoming hospital visits, and totally understandable that that stress spills over into stressing more about other things in your life. It's okay, go easy on yourself. It's definitely worth looking for ways to relieve that stress, though -- meditation, journaling, talking to someone, even just going for a walk to clear your mind when you feel the stress is at its worst. It might even be worth finding a professional counselor or therapist who can help you work on some ways to not worry so much, as stress can definitely negatively impact your health.

You can definitely do this. It sounds like you're well-prepared and have a plan, so just stick to your plan. It'll be okay.

Archived