Snacking

Irishboy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply, jmcbn.  I'm not eating any fruit until the snack.  I have eggs with lots of veggies for breakfast, and usually homemade chicken vegetable soup for lunch, so I don't think that's the problem.  For the past ten or so years, I've followed the principals of the South Beach diet, which call for snacks in the morning and afternoon, so I think my body is accustomed to that.  Can you explain the reason that having your fruit in the mid-afternoon as opposed to with your lunch is not recommended?  I could eat it with lunch, but frankly, I'm so stuffed that I hate to force feed myself just to avoid having my fruit later in the day.

Fruit when eaten on it's own has a much bigger impact on your blood sugar and so is more like to cause cravings, faux hunger, energy slumps etc. A protein or fat will slow down the absorption of the glucose, but a preferable snack would be a protein and a fat to give a more sustained energy.

Your meals DO look light on fat, plus soup isn't that satiating, so yeah, up the fat and see how you go. You'll be surprised how quickly your body will adjust to the 3 meals a day routine, and it's actually in that 4-5hr window that your body will start to tap into it's fat stores for fuel - unless of course you continue feeding it sugar.

i eat more nuts than a monkey, also the farmers market near me sell top notch olives, try making guacamole, goes with everything, Fats with help with the hunger.

Keep an eye on that nut intake. Nuts should be eaten in moderation only due to their poor omega 3:6 ratio, PLUS they are notoriously hard on the digestive system - we'd recommend a closed handful maybe every other day. There are plenty of other superior fat sources. Did anyone say Bacon?  :D (or coconut oil/cream/milk, tallow, lard, duck fat, schmaltz, ghee.......)

It's really hard to get into the habit of eating fat for fat's sake.  And I guess I need to get "diet" off my brain.  My soup is good, and filling, but it probably doesn't stay with me long.  Today's lunch will be a delicious tuna salad that includes some avocado, so we'll see how that works.  And thanks for explaining the rationale of eating the fruit with the meal and not by itself.  Makes sense!

Noted will cut down on the nuts. Thanks

And the bars... Don't forget about the bars - freeze them if you have to as I imagine you're getting quite the fructose hit (& more nuts!) with those which will not help with any cravings  ;)

This discussion has brought up another question.  You've commented that my meals are light on fat, but breakfast consists of three whole eggs, and egg yolks contain a fair amount of fat.  Is the fat in the protein not considered, and should I be adding a fat serving in addition to that?

This discussion has brought up another question.  You've commented that my meals are light on fat, but breakfast consists of three whole eggs, and egg yolks contain a fair amount of fat.  Is the fat in the protein not considered, and should I be adding a fat serving in addition to that?

Personally I don't count the fat in the yolk unless I'm taking it as a preWO, so I'd maybe add mayo, or a half avocado (if they didn't cause me stomach issues), or some compliant bacon...

It's hard to go overboard on fat - really - fat is your friend. 

• Administrators

Soups leave me starving hungry within 3 hours no matter how much I eat. Try changing your lunch to a pile of protein, veggies and fat that you actually have to chew ... I bet that holds you longer.

I think, to some degree, it's the same effect as drinking smoothies in that most of it is liquid so your body doesn't necessarily recognize the calories and doesn't process them the same.

When we do soups as a meal they are always a blended soup that we add protein (cooked chicken) and a fat (avocado, usually) to, rather than a broth with meat/veggies in it.  Something about the solidness of that blended soup makes a difference. Not so liquidy, maybe?

Hi all. I'm on day 11, but have mainly been posting on a different board here. Anyway, about the snacking... I eat breakfast aroun 6-7am, and then I don't have lunch until 12-1pm. So usually around 10-10:30am I have a small snack, usually a little bit of fruit and a handful of almonds, or fruit and a hard boiled egg drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. One of the moderators on the other board where I've been posting said that this is ok, because a 6 to 7 hour window between meals is a long time. A mini meal or snack is ok if you are going that long between meals, as long as it contains two of the three macronutrients: protein, fat and carbs. I'm hoping this is correct. I'm fine between lunch and dinner, and I'm fine between dinner and bed although sometimes during those windows I have hot tea.

• Moderators

Hi all. I'm on day 11, but have mainly been posting on a different board here. Anyway, about the snacking... I eat breakfast aroun 6-7am, and then I don't have lunch until 12-1pm. So usually around 10-10:30am I have a small snack, usually a little bit of fruit and a handful of almonds, or fruit and a hard boiled egg drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. One of the moderators on the other board where I've been posting said that this is ok, because a 6 to 7 hour window between meals is a long time. A mini meal or snack is ok if you are going that long between meals, as long as it contains two of the three macronutrients: protein, fat and carbs. I'm hoping this is correct. I'm fine between lunch and dinner, and I'm fine between dinner and bed although sometimes during those windows I have hot tea.

When you're going that long between meals, a mini meal or snack is fine. I'd watch the fruit and nut combo as that would be easy to overeat without realizing, and nuts can be hard in the digestion for some people. If you find yourself craving sweets, either at the time of this snack or throughout the day, consider swapping the fruit for vegetables instead.

When you're going that long between meals, a mini meal or snack is fine. I'd watch the fruit and nut combo as that would be easy to overeat without realizing, and nuts can be hard in the digestion for some people. If you find yourself craving sweets, either at the time of this snack or throughout the day, consider swapping the fruit for vegetables instead.

Thanks Shannon. I just pack a handful in a container to take to work with me, and a small portion of fruit also in a container. I'm not sure I crave sugar at this time of day. Some days I have had nuts or eggs and avocado instead. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Instead of soup for lunch today, I had a tuna "ceviche" (made with canned Italian tuna packed in olive oil), which included half an avocado.  I also had a few olives on the side.  It's after 4:00 and I'm not feeling like I need a snack, so hopefully that's the answer!  Thanks again to everyone for their help!!  Tomorrow is "Kill all the things day";  my husband has told me he's leaving the house for the day.   :o

Morning all. i'm looking to make mayo today. Alot of the oils used are avacado  or macadamia nut. In and around where i live you pay the same as a small mortgage for these oils €11/€12. Can you give any advice on this.

I promise i wont use the mayo for snacking :rolleyes:

• Moderators

I use light tasting olive oil, my local grocery store brand tastes just like the other brands I've tried, so that's what I usually use. You want something mild flavored or even flavorless -- strong flavors like in extra virgin olive oil make for weird flavored mayo, unless you just really love the taste of straight evoo.

Morning all. i'm looking to make mayo today. Alot of the oils used are avacado  or macadamia nut. In and around where i live you pay the same as a small mortgage for these oils €11/€12. Can you give any advice on this.

I promise i wont use the mayo for snacking :rolleyes:

:D 

I get walnut oil in tesco for about £1.50 for 250mls and I use about a bottle and a third... gives it that nice nutty flavour you like  ;)  :P 

I see sainsburys do an avocado oil now but yeah it's about £4.50 for the same amount.

Walnut oil it is.There is no Sainburys this side of the boarder yet. I'm going making the curry today so will let you know how i get on. Ive made the mayo with olive oil before, it was rank.

Also thinking of donating my 4 stone bag of cashews to the Zoo. :D

Soups leave me starving hungry within 3 hours no matter how much I eat. Try changing your lunch to a pile of protein, veggies and fat that you actually have to chew ... I bet that holds you longer.

I found a great soup recipe that keeps me full.  I used 2 lbs of step 4 ground beef from Whole Foods so I didn't drain the beef as directed in the recipe.  I also used homemade beef bone broth.  It's sort of like chili without beans, very tasty and I will definitely make again as it's W30 friendly and my daughter loved it as well.  I put half a chopped up avocado on mine when we had it for dinner.  It's my lunch today and I'm going to put some guacamole on it since I'm out of fresh avocado.  I wondered how it would be over a bed of spinach.  I have carrots and celery to dip into it as my extra vegys today.   http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/hamburger-soup/ Just be careful with the beef stock, I have heard it's hard to find a compliant one, which is why I made my own, with bones I bought from the butcher at Whole Foods.

I'm injured since since the marathon. ive to get a MRI and injection in the pelvis (To much info).I'm like a caged animal 10 weeks recovery after that. My aim is to do an Olympic tri this year.( set the bar higher).

So to answer your question not good.

Jmcbm. Do u have quantities for curry paste or link. Or is it trail and error.

One last thing. I like coffee, I'm drinking around 4 cups a day. Early morning x 2 and with 2nd or 3rd meal. It's black and strong so whole 30 ok. But are the other reasons to cut back. Sleep not a problem except for a 19 month old baby ,nothing the whole 30 can do on that front.

Do u have quantities for curry paste or link. Or is it trail and error.

Made curry last night / this morning 

Chuck loads of spices in to taste - I probably use about a tablespoon of each 

Jmcbm. Do u have quantities for curry paste or link. Or is it trail and error.

One last thing. I like coffee, I'm drinking around 4 cups a day. Early morning x 2 and with 2nd or 3rd meal. It's black and strong so whole 30 ok. But are the other reasons to cut back. Sleep not a problem except for a 19 month old baby ,nothing the whole 30 can do on that front.

If you have mini blender or nutribullet or the like do as Zoe says and add about a tablespoon of your preferred spices into that, add some oil of choice, some garlic, onion, chillies if you like, lemon grass or otehr herbs like coriander etc., or you could add in some compliant dried fruit if you like (or just through them into the curry for texture) - possibly a squeeze of lemon juice depending on what you're making - whizz & you're done. I use this as a marinade (jerk chicken, tandoori etc depending on herbs/spices), or add coconut milk or tinned tomatoes to make into a sauce.

Re the coffee, it *can* keep cortisol levels raised unnaturally and cause you to hold on to some abdominal fat. The whole elevenses & 3pm thing is actually based on the science that that's around the time cortisol levels will be dropping and so the coffee helps elevate them again. I'd maybe suggest switching the afternoon/evening ones for green tea (or something really relaxing like a china white monkey) so as not to effect your hormones just so much... You might not think it's effecting your sleep, but it most likely is and with a 19mth old in the house you need all the help you can get!!

Archived