So, about SWYPO....

butternutsquash

Okay! I have a question I've been wrestling with since my first attempt at W30.

In our home, though, our main goal of W30 is to establish life long eating habits. As I am pre-diabetic, this is exactly the way I've been told to eat. So we love W30!

My question is, if our goal is to learn things we'll eat again and again, what's harmful about making banana pancakes? Then we would have an alternative to real pancakes, which are tasty, but suck for those of us with insulin resistance. I understand that SWYPO is a dangerous slippery slope. I don't want to be tempted by other things, but I would like better alternatives to foods I can't eat even outside of W30

Anyway! This is just a question I've been thinking about an would love some feedback. Thanks!

• Administrators

Because during the Whole30 we don't want you trying to find a "better" replacement for the junk food you used to eat.  Eat the banana and the egg but don't mix them together and turn them into a pancake. It's only 30 days.  This is where you change your relationship with food.  

Check this out too: 

"Sometimes, we feel like if we have to have one more conversation about pancakes, we might explode. No, you can’t have pancakes. Yes, even if they’re just bananas and eggs. First, they are explicitly ruled out in the Whole30 program guidelines. This should be enough of a reason, but in case you’re still wondering why (they’re just bananas and eggs!)…Pancakes in any form do not encourage success with the Whole30 program. Reaching your health goals depends on committing to both the rules and the spirit and intention of the program. The Whole30 is designed to change your relationship with food, first and foremost. And the psychological impact of eating pancakes as part of your healthy eating, life-changing plan cannot be ignored. Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain perceives the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes, as we reference in the back of It Starts With Food), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined. Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it’s that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.You may not have an affinity for pancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule these Paleo recreations out. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best Whole30success possible. And, of course, what you choose to do after your 30 days are up is entirely up to you." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2....HFJu3wlI.dpufI

I was thinking about this too, because other people have posted about it. 

Who actually just eats pancakes plain? No one I know. They're covered in butter, syrups, sugary fruit toppings, etc. All that junk on top can make a mediocre "pancake" (possibly made of just bananas and eggs) into something fairly tasty. 

A banana-egg scramble doesn't sound too great to me. Even putting almond butter on that (a food with no brakes for me) doesn't make it sound any better. 

That article was not written for someone who is on their way to diabetes, nor was it written by a doctor.

I've done my research, and it extends far beyond a "crazy town" article.

I also have a mother who is prediabetic and has been diagnosed with fatty liver. Her well-informed doctor gave her a list of foods to avoid, and ~ not surprisingly ~ bananas are to be avoided.

I honestly can't think of a more sugary way to start your day on a Whole 30 way of eating. Larabars, maybe. Dried fruit. Is this what we are advocating for a diabetes cure, these days?

Come on, now. We all know better. Start the day with protein + veggie + fat. That's where it's at. :)

I did kick T2 to the curb.  I also ate one serving of fruit almost every single day at the end of a meal.

Fruit is not the enemy and fruit is not SWYPO.   You can eat carrots, a banana and berries.  All of it is 99% better than a SAD diet.    The SAD is the enemy.  I believe in eating every color under the rainbow with top quality proteins.  You can follow a Whole 30 and still kick  T2 to the curb. 

Whoops! I didn't realize SWYPO was such an exciting topic! Haha

In regards to foods to eat for prediabetes, I think most of us understand what we need most-- protein and veggies. But fruit is totally okay! I'm very sensitive to grains, but do just fine with fruit.(Doctor backed). But that's just me! All of our bodies have differences and I can only speak for my own experience.

I appreciate all the info and resources regarding SWYPO. Because so many of those things are a "gray" area, I feel okay judging each situation for my own self and home.

I appreciate having more info to make the most informed decision!

• Administrators

Because so many of those things are a "gray" area, I feel okay judging each situation for my own self and home.

Absolutely, as well you should.  Do note, however, that for the purposes of doing an authentic Whole30, there are things that are specifically called out, no gray area to be had.  Pancakes. Cookies. Muffins. Tortillas.  You get the idea. These things that could be made with purely compliant ingredients, are disallowed on a Whole30.  So there is no judgement needed, the answer is no.  Of course you're an adult and you're free to do as you please but know that a true Whole30 will not contain any of these called out items.

*A few off-limits foods that fall under this rule include pancakes, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, pizza crust, waffles, cereal, potato chips, French fries, and this one recipe where eggs, date paste, and coconut milk are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. However, this list is not limited to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.QHVFNPuv.dpuf

It's very liberating to know you can go to the store and bring some beautiful, delicate berries home.  I ate them almost every single day at the end of  lunch or dinner.  They did alot for me.  Over-restriction would've got me nowhere good.   From policing every morsel of food to a free fall from too much restriction.  Real food carbs and wonderful fruit allowed on the Whole 30...made this program doable and enjoyable.

Read all of Melissa's answers in the link up above.  She's very clear about blood sugar.  Dr. Mark also has some great comments.

Archived