Cough Drops

Matthias

I am on day 27 today.  I have had a cough for the past 2 months and last night I couldn't sleep due to my cough.  I have some cough syrup that was chock full of bad ingredients...I said no to that...but did have 2 cough drops that had some "bad ingredients".  My question is this, and I am curious what the moderator says, would the 2 cough drops taken as medicine only make me "fail" the Whole 30?  Would all medications with forbidden ingredients cause a plan derailment?  Technically speaking the cough drops are not food or drink?  If the Whole 30 plan believes that medication ingredients cause a plan failure then maybe this plan is a bit too fundamental, no?  (Think how some people in Alcoholics Anonymous think psychotropic medications are evil and to be avoided....)

FYI I completed the Whole 30 twice before with no problems at all so I am not being a negative hater or troll or whatever the hell you call people consumed with a non-positive and encouraging vibe...

• Administrators

We don't call people with valid questions "negative haters" or "trolls", LOL!

So the line on the Whole30 is "doctor's orders trump Whole30".  That means that prescription medications that have non compliant ingredients are allowed because a doctor has told you that you need them for whatever reason. Cough drops don't actually fall under medication and depending on what you're wanting to take, are more than likely just a sweetened sugar candy that calms your cough due to misdirection and increased saliva production.

That all said, you're an adult, you get to decide what you're going to do.  Whole30 does not permit breath mints, cough drops etc.....but you have to weigh for yourself if following the actual rules is more or less important to you than taking this lozenge.

Finally, you're right, the Whole30 rules are specific.  And strict.  Because it's not possible for the program to say "no alcohol.  Except vanilla is fine.  And you could probably use wine in your stew because the alcohol cooks off. But other than that, no alcohol.".  Does that make sense?  The rule is "No added sugar".  It is impossible for a program and its members to be successful if the rule is "no added sugar.  Unless you need a breath mint or a cough drop."

Your choice all the way though........because you are an adult human who makes his own decisions.  :)

• Administrators

PS.  What were the "bad ingredients"?  I was assuming it was just sugars but things like soy, wheat, dairy, sulphites etc are serious gut disruptors and they will reset your reset whether you feel the use of it was justified or not.  

Active Ingredient: Menthol 15 mg. Inactive Ingredients: citric acid, eucalyptus oil, FD&C blue 1, flavors, glucose syrup, potassium citrate, soy lecithin, sucrose, water.

I read the ingredients last night at 1:37 AM.   If I was the moderator, I would say to myself, "hey, you know the rules.  You blew it.  Start over.  Or don't.  You are an adult."  But since it is me and I have compassion on myself, I say to me, "It's okay.  Lack of sleep causes a person to function in a less than optimal manner."

I will call it a whole 26, and now move on to a more moderate diet, like the Mediterranean diet. 

I've always been good at being "binge healthy".  It is the long run that matters. 

• Moderators

I will call it a whole 26, and now move on to a more moderate diet, like the Mediterranean diet. 

The WholeMattias, which is what you will do once you do re-intros and decide on your own rules around what foods you eat and don't eat is the most moderate diet in the world because it's the only one that is specific to you... heck, it has your name in the title!

• 11 months later...

Archived