Day 29 - acne and cold symptoms?

Hi, Day 29 here.

The last 5 days or so I've noticed a big increase in skin issues - I normally have fair, clear skin, with the occasional localized breakout. Recently however, I've been getting small, sub dermal zits all around my face. They're not angry or cystic but they are visible bumps, some of them red and some of them just raised skin color. They don't seem to want to vacate when pressured! I also have some larger, angrier breakouts on my back. This especially is unheard of for me. 

Also, on day 27 I woke up with severe chest cold symptoms--tight, congested chest, sneezing, runny/stuffed nose, headache, body weakness, etc. I've been medicating with sleep, bone broth, and antioxidant rich foods. It's starting to wean but it's so uncommon for me to get sick--I go years without experiencing cold season. I'm surprised, because in theory my immune system should be stronger than ever right now. 

I know you'll ask about food, so yes, I'm 100% sure I've not had anything noncompliant. I don't eat a lot of potatoes or eggs (maybe a dozen eggs in 10 days), my fat sources (of which I eat a lot) are organic coconut oil, high quality olive oil, homemade mayo, and organic ghee.  I eat the rainbow in veggies, and very few nuts. I drink bulletproof coffee about 3x/week. Until this cold, I'd been running 3x/week and doing yoga regularly. I was not in close quarters with anyone who was sick, and nothing in my home environment has changed recently. I live in Arizona, so I'm not snowed in and hibernating; plenty of sunshine. 

Any ideas? Is it possible that this is some kind of late stage detox? It raises some doubt about starting reintros in two days...

• Moderators

Sorry no one got back to you on this, Emiley. 

I'm not really sure what to tell you. The cold/allergy stuff -- you'd think your immune system would be stronger once you're most of the way through your Whole30, but we actually have quite a few people say they get something like this. I even had it at the end of my first Whole30 -- the worst allergy/cold/whatever crud I'd had in a really long time. I don't know why it happens, but it should pass pretty soon. Reintroducing stuff probably isn't a great idea. I know for me, dairy can make this kind of thing worse.

Skin issues can be really hard to pinpoint causes for. Have you been eating a lot more nightshades than usual? They could cause this kind of reaction. Even coconut can cause problems for some people, even though it's usually considered healthy. I'm assuming you haven't changed whatever soap or body wash you use, or detergent or fabric softener, or anything like that? 

I don't really have any good answers for you. Hopefully someone will weigh in with some better ideas soon.

One quick thought....

Are you by chance eating more pork than usual?  The reason why I ask is that I have a lot of skin issues - zits were never really one of them - however I definitely have issues with pork.  And my problems usually are some sort of pimple, cystic acne, or subdermal zit and they can happen ANYWHERE on my body. I had too much pork last week (which is really anything more than once a week) and they decided to show up on my face and they were similar to what you describe.  

Some other things that can be issues for skin (not necessarily an allergy, it can just be load): nuts, coffee, eggs. Fruit is an odd one, some people have issues with fruits that they do not have with vegetables.

Do you have a more detailed food log for the recent days you've seen it?

Any differences now to things at the start? New recipes, different ways of preparing food, new things like Kombucha or different brand of something?

Had any cramping? Take any supplements? Feel extra thirsty?

It could also be some kind of extinction burst, with your body pushing something out (sinus & skin) it hasn't been able to until now.

Archived