Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you feel better, Wendy! And amazing job resisting the cake and pecan pie bars, ladies! (I would totally have had to leave the room... I just don't go in the break room at work). And ksea, thank you for the tea recipe!

Also for the salt water suggestion. I used to do that as a kid and for some reason I fell off that wagon.

I also got the suggested Throat Coat tea and it was the first time all day my throat wasn't dying!

Enjoy your carnitas!! :D I have them scheduled for week 4!

Okay, so I'm on my way to a birthday party. It will be a collection of women. 3 of them are chefs. They are all bringing these crazy dishes and a 3 layer chocolate cake. and wine. I won't write more about the things that will be there, I'm sure you understand. I feel really pissy about the whole thing. I love my friends. I love eating delicious food and drinking wine with my friends. It is rare for me to get away from the baby, so I am extra bitter about just getting to SIT THERE and WATCH. But I will prevail. I still don't feel super great - kind of bloated and weirdly flabby and tired tired tired. so it just feels unfair. It isn't that they won't be supportive, they will. But I will just feel sad. waaaaaa waaaaa.

I'll update you tomorrow.

Okay, so I'm on my way to a birthday party. It will be a collection of women. 3 of them are chefs. They are all bringing these crazy dishes and a 3 layer chocolate cake. and wine. I won't write more about the things that will be there, I'm sure you understand. I feel really pissy about the whole thing. I love my friends. I love eating delicious food and drinking wine with my friends. It is rare for me to get away from the baby, so I am extra bitter about just getting to SIT THERE and WATCH. But I will prevail. I still don't feel super great - kind of bloated and weirdly flabby and tired tired tired. so it just feels unfair. It isn't that they won't be supportive, they will. But I will just feel sad. waaaaaa waaaaa.

I'll update you tomorrow.

Good luck, Ramonax!  Stay strong!  Just try to enjoy their company and know that your goals are worth the temporary sacrifice.  It's good that you know they'll be supportive and hopefully that will help it to go better than you anticipate. 

Ramonax, I completely empathize - resisting when its right in front of you and you know it's going to be amazing is the hardest thing. So sorry you have to sit there with all the temptation! :( it helps me to just keep repeating how bad that stuff makes me feel and remember the motivation for doing this in the first place. We are awesome because we want to take care of ourselves. We are super strong because we know we will have to face temptation and we choose to be healthy anyway. You got this!! Xo

Maybe treat yourself to your absolute favorite whole30 meal today so you don't feel deprived?

I coped by eating a GIANT dinner ahead of time, so I wasn't hungry. And it was fine. Wasn't ideal, but fine. I had fun anyway. Then I woke up at 3:00 am with such a sore throat I couldn't get back to sleep. Salt water for me. I guess I was getting sick, that is why it all felt so hard! But the thinking about what i couldn't have before hand was worse that the actual event. Though I need to hang around less chefs!  Thanks for the support. 

The social situations are definitely hard, I applaud you for staying strong through that! Life has been so crazy for the last several months that I've been perfectly fine taking it easy the last couple of weekends. Last night I had a couple friends over for dinner. Usually with the three of us there's wine and/or bourbon flowing when we get together, but one of them is pregnant and the other is also trying to clean up her diet (not doing w W30 though). So we had a nice night of good food, la croix, and hot tea around the fire pit.

I pulled out my gardening stuff this morning and I'm going to get some seeds started today. I keep thinking that the W30 would be so much easier to do if it were middle of summer and the garden was in full swing! Not to mention cheaper. Every time I eat a store bought tomato raw I'm thoroughly disappointed. Growing tomatoes in the garden the past couple years has pretty much ruined store-bought tomatoes for me.

I'm thinking of making some meatballs today to have on hand for a couple of easy meals this week. Does anyone have a favorite recipe? 

I'm so sorry to hear that you're sick! I will say the Throat Coat tea by Traditional Medicinals has been AMAZING for me. It's pricey, but it's SO helpful. And it's amazing what a sweet aftertaste it has after not having sweeteners for two weeks!

CG, my boyfriend has said the same thing about the garden! If veggies were flowing all the time, this could save us a ton of money - and it would all definitely be fresher! (nobody likes grainy tomatoes or squishy cucumbers). Guess we'll have to consider another one in summer, to compare. ;)

I've made these meatballs a few times entirely with ground turkey, with the pan-frying method, and they're fabulous! (Her sauce is great, too, if you have some extra time).

• Moderators

I'm thinking of making some meatballs today to have on hand for a couple of easy meals this week. Does anyone have a favorite recipe?

Go to meljoulwan.com and search for meatballs -- she has a ton of recipes with all kinds of different flavor profiles. Or if you have access to her book Well Fed 2, it has even more.

Ramonax. good for you for staying strong, and so sorry about your sore throat.  My sore throat is gone, but the nasal congestion remains.  Can you believe we're on day 14?  We are almost halfway there!  One blessing about my sickness this week has been that my usually voracious appetite has disappeared.  I actually have to remind myself to eat, just haven't had the appetite, and my taste buds have been off.  I'm sad to say that I was disappointed in the carnitas and cabbage slaw. However, my husband loved the meal, so it may just be that my nasty cold kept my taste buds from enjoying it.  Hard to enjoy eating when you're struggling to breathe...

I did the ranch dressing from the book, and it was also a hit with hubby, as we are getting tired of the Italian vinaigrette I've been making since day 1.  It was more time consuming than the vinaigrette, but worth it if you're craving something creamy and not oily.

Wendy

It's day 14 and that's exciting but I keep wanting to quit. I know I won't but I keep wanting to stuff my face with non compliant food and alcohol. I want to snack on chips. I don't understand why weekends are so hard for me. Work has so many temptations everyday but I'm fine there. I think it's because I am a closet junk food eater. I didn't do anything this weekend I think it's the first time in I can remember that I didn't have a thousand things going on. It has been nice being a bit bored but it also makes me want to eat!

Ramanox sounds like you did awesome at the birthday party! The social outings are hard especially with chefs I'm sure!

Sorry for the whining! I won't quit I still have a long way to go and I know I can do it but man a pizza and beer sounds so freaking good.

It's day 14 and that's exciting but I keep wanting to quit. I know I won't but I keep wanting to stuff my face with non compliant food and alcohol. I want to snack on chips. I don't understand why weekends are so hard for me. Work has so many temptations everyday but I'm fine there. I think it's because I am a closet junk food eater. I didn't do anything this weekend I think it's the first time in I can remember that I didn't have a thousand things going on. It has been nice being a bit bored but it also makes me want to eat!

Ramanox sounds like you did awesome at the birthday party! The social outings are hard especially with chefs I'm sure!

Sorry for the whining! I won't quit I still have a long way to go and I know I can do it but man a pizza and beer sounds so freaking good.

I'm with you, TerraZ! I know I won't quit, as we've made it almost halfway through.  Pizza and beer do sound delightful!  A bottle of red wine sounds even better.  :o I miss chips and pretzels, too, and popcorn.  I miss being able to grab a quick yogurt and frozen meal to take for my lunch at work. I also miss my English muffin at breakfast.   I'm getting tired of making salad dressing!  I stood in Giant Eagle 10 minutes last weekend, and at least 10 more in Trader Joe's yesterday looking for 1 salad dressing that doesn't include non-compliant ingredients, and came up empty.  The carnitas last night would have been SO much better with barbecue sauce!

I don't mind your "whining," I feel the same!

Wendy

Thank you Wendy! I agree wine sounds amazing!!

Check out tessame's salad dressing. You can find at whole foods and I have seen at some regular grocery stores. They have some yummy compliant salad dressing and condiments.

My husband makes the best balsamic and he makes enough for the week. 3/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup balsamic, salt and pepper, oregano, splash of guldens brown mustard and a whole crushed garlic clove. We don't refrigerate it. It's a bit thick and so good on salads and I like to dip veggies or grilled chicken in it.

Try it with a Greek chicken salad.

TerraZ - I realize I am the same with weekends. I think the unstructured time makes me want to graze (I am too busy at work to be bored), and I keep passing by the kitchen. I'm use to just grabbing handfuls of stuff. Also the weekend is down time and relaxation and I deserve reward for making it through a week. I'm home all the time with the baby, so I want treats when I'm here. Those thoughts all lead to mindless eating. food as reward. food as entertainment. food as comfort. 

I'm glad to be thinking of all of this, as these were the habits I wanted to break - or at least bend :) on this go around. 

I'm right there with the rest of you in really coming to recognize how much mindless eating and snacking I've always done.  It seems the reality that the food we're eating is for nourishment is starting to settle in.  The other day my son asked if there are any foods I'm missing.  At that time I said no and it was the honest truth, but tonight . . . I'm missing ice cream!  Vanilla chocolate chip to be precise. 

Overall, I'm pleased with how things are going and plan to continue eating like this as much as possible after reentry.  I'm not tired of any foods yet but there have been a couple of recipes that have been a bit of a let-down.  But that's to be attributed to the cook (me!), not the food.  My family has been completely supportive and my kids have surprised me so much with their willingness to try new things.  They're not super picky but we all have our comfort zones - aka "ruts" - and I'd not expected them to be this open to trying new produce. They really liked the gazpacho recipe from the book because it tastes like salsa!  :)  Even though I'm doing this solo, that really only runs true for breakfast and lunch.  The whole family is joining me in compliant dinners with the exception that they may add something to theirs that I'm not, such as bread or non-compliant condiments.  I'm very grateful and am certain it's been an easier road because of their support.

My biggest struggle still is the call of the scale.  I should just throw it out the window!  I really need to revisit the NSV list in the book and try to refocus my thoughts on those.  That's a huge hurdle to overcome for me.  Even if my cravings and mindless eating habits have been changed by the end of this W30, I don't think I'll be mentally beyond the scale numbers.  I just am not sure the two remaining weeks is enough time for that. 

GUYS! GUYS WE ARE ON DAY 15!! We're halfway there!!! We are so. Totally. Awesome. :D

TerraZ, Wendy, Ramonax, I completely hear you on the weekends being harder... I feel like Ramonax definitely has a point with the unstructured feeling, and getting bored, and just habitually wanting to munch... BUT we made it through another weekend, and we all did amazing! And as much as things might get frustrating and we might have cravings or want to step on the scale or cry or just binge on a tub of Turkey Hill (or if you're me, just eat an entire bag of cashews)... we made it. And we continue to make it. And the more frustrated we get, the more we can know that we are in habits that haven't been good for us, and we're continuing on the road to freedom and making our own choices... And that's saying something!

Jen, so great that your family has been so supportive!! How was making that gazpacho? It looked like a lot of work, but also looked delicious!

I'm also struggling with not stepping on the scale. I feel like that number has dictated my mood for so long, it's like I'm not sure if I'm allowed to be happy now, not knowing what it says. I definitely don't look or feel any smaller. My clothes are all still fitting tightly, and I continue to look bloated (my chins are multiplying overnight... ugh). So it's REALLY hard to not know what's going on in the weight department... but staying strong! (Definitely tempting to throw it out the window, though...)

I still have a cold, so I'm headachey, tired, and grouchy. I'm wondering if, when this clears up, I'm going to spring forth in a burst of tiger blood that was lurking underneath the stupid sick feeling. Here's hoping. :)

Today is my three-year anniversary with my boyfriend, and we're celebrating instead of going to hibachi as we normally would, by going to see Zootopia! It's funny, because at first I was sad when I realized we'd be missing our tradition, but now that we're here, I don't even really feel the want for the hibachi that badly. I'm honestly just excited that I don't have to cook! (We're going to hit up Chipotle on the way there, in the interest of time). And that we get to hang out together without doing any work. That's fantastic.

Also, I don't know about where you're all located, but it's supposed to hit 60 today here, and 70 by Wednesday, so that's a non-food-related piece of awesomeness!!!

Congrats on hitting the halfway mark! I'll get there tomorrow, but it feels good to know I'm almost there.

I'm also feeling a little bloated and it's hard to stay away from the scale. How about we run through a list of the non-scale victories we're each experiencing? I'll start:

1. I'm sleeping WAY better. I've always struggled with insomnia off and on, but the anxiety and stress of the last few months made it ten times worse. Last night I slept a little fitfully, but I think it was because my husband was tossing and turning - not because I couldn't turn my brain off, which is usually the problem.

2. My mood has stabilized. Even when I've had somewhat stressful days I don't really feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster.

3. I haven't had any heartburn. I've known for a while that gluten gives me heartburn, and when it's kicking up I have a hard time swallowing food and vitamins. Every now and then things will get stuck in my esophagus right under my sternum and it HURTS. That hasn't been an issue at all over the last two weeks. Even when I cut gluten I still get heartburn occasionally though, so I'm wondering if other grans are triggering it too. The reintroduction will be interesting.

What about everyone else?

katieblue:  Thanks for the potato salad recipes!  I'm definitely trying that first one. 

ksea and Shannon: Thanks for the tips on the ginger.  I feel like I end up wasting so much!

And thanks to everyone else for the recipe/side dish suggestions.  I'm going to try some new things for my next meal plan for sure.

CGinDC, love the staying positive with the NSV's!! Congrats on all of yours!! xo

For me, so far:

1. I've stayed off the scale. This is HUGE for me, as I was a serial weigher. I'm talking multiple times a day. And although I've been tempted, I haven't gotten on it once. I have no idea how much I weigh. And it freaks me out, but that's just indication that I'm on the right track with staying away!

2. I've stopped counting calories. At first, habitually, I tried to keep up in my head even though I wasn't totally accurate, but I've mostly given up on even that. Also huge for me as I did this obsessively for several years.

3. I've been nicer to myself. I still feel like it's hard to fit in my clothes, but without the tangible number to place on it, I have been better able to just trust that things are regulating. So, like you said, definitely a more stable mood.

4. I have been going to the gym because I WANT to, not because I HAVE to because I binged so hard on junk food I feel desperate to get it out of my system. And I've been okay with skipping it because I've been tired/not feeling well/trusting my body needs rest more than a workout!

5. I've been sleeping better, too! Definitely knocking out early and sleeping through the night!

6. Things taste AMAZING!! Everything has so much flavor, and I can enjoy food so much more!

7. I've actually found myself hungry the past few mornings when I woke up! AND I've been hungry for dinner a few times, too. For someone who restricted calories so much for so many years to the point where I never felt hungry for anything but breakfast (three to four hours after waking), this is also huge! Feels like my body is adjusting. :)

Ramonax and katieblue: My grandmother is ALWAYS telling me to gargle with salt water when I have a sore throat (which is often).  And I never do.  But I know it works.  I really need to take her advice.  I've had a sore throat for a few days now, and it woke me up a few times last night.  I also need to try that tea.  

CGinDC: I don't know if you follow the Whole30 Recipes Instagram account, but there was just a super easy zucchini turkey meatball recipe on there that I want to try.  And I also pinned a recipe that looks similar to the one katieblue made.

I'm SO, SO impressed with all of you who have resisted temptation!  I'm like katieblue.  If someone brings some junk food into work, I just totally avoid the area where we keep it.  Ramonax, I'm especially proud of you for making it through the party!

Wendy and Frankie: I LOVE the ranch dressing from the book.  I even let my non-Whole30 friends try it, and the one friend asked me for the recipe a few days later because she was craving it!  I just make it again last night to have with salt and vinegar wings and veggies.

TerraZ: Thanks for the balsamic dressing recipe.  It sounds really good!  And easy!  I just bought some mason jars this weekend, and they're great for mixing up salad dressings.  Just throw everything in there and shake.  Quick and nothing to clean up!

Ok, now that I'm caught up from the weekend, I'll list my NSVs:

1. I'm not waking up feeling a bit hungover from drinking a little too much the night before!

2. My mood has been generally happy.

3. I'm starting to feel like I'm getting more energy.

4. I feel good about my body and myself.  Even though I haven't noticed any changes, I know what I'm putting into my body is good, healthy food, and I feel good about that.

5. I'm just proud of myself for making it this far.  A friend of mine has done multiple Whole30s, and then two of my other friends joined her in doing one back in October.  At the time, I was like, "Oh, I could NEVER do that."  And here I am almost halfway through it!

I'm so glad to have y'all.  I found out after the fact that my three friends at work all ended up cheating when they did it.  And then another friend who started when I did gave up and had beer on Friday.  So, I'm glad to have y'all who are drudging through it with me/us (my husband is still on track!) even when it gets hard and we crave junk food or alcohol!  Thank you!

I had a lot of temptation last week and somehow made it through - doughnuts at work multiple days, candy at work, chicken biscuits from Chick fil A on Friday at work!  And then we all went out to lunch with a coworker who normally works in DC but was in town to visit (I live in Charleston, SC), and it seemed like EVERYONE had fries on their plate, which is one of my absolute favorite foods.  And I didn't even eat one!

Good idea on the NSV.

1. my mood is better, and more consistent throughout the day

2. I have more energy and am able to get more done at work - less siting in front of the computer in a fog

3. I am more patient with my children when they have toddler and/or teenager tantrums

4. I don't have the same degree of stiffness (neck, knees) 

5. I am sleeping better

6. I am generally more healthy with all the veggies I am eating

7. I am really trying hard to break the mindless eating thing I do. I feel closer to doing that than I did last time I did W30

Also, last night I had my favourite oven fried chicken and sautéed kale with lemon juice, sesame oil and seeds added at the end. cut up carrots and mayo. So So So So good. 

My sore throat has turned into all out cold now. Are we all contagious through the internet?

I'm so proud of all of you and congratulations on all the amazing NSV's!! Sounds like we're all on the right track here, and there's still plenty of time left to see even more results. :)

Galaxigrl, you definitely are right, it's SO helpful to know that we have this little community going here when the rest of the world is telling us we're nuts/no fun/awe-inspiring/whatever term they use synonymously with "weird" for not eating garbage. ;)

P.S. SO impressed with you for passing on the fries - they're my ultimate FWNB!!

Ramonax, I was thinking the same thing!! We're from all over the place yet everybody's got the cold and sore throat thing. Oh, well, at least we can support each other further. :P

Everyone: Way to go on making it to the half way point!!!  So proud of all of us for overcoming stress, temptations, and implementing new habits and being strong enough to break old ones.

Here's my NSVs so far:

1.  Baby's skin has cleared up almost completely!!  We have his 4 month checkup tomorrow morning.  It'll be interesting to hear what doc says about introducing foods back into my diet.  My skin seems clearer as well.

2.  No more cravings for junk food.  If I find myself wanting to reach for some nuts or slurp cold coconut milk right from the jar, I'll make a note to myself to eat a little more at my meals.  Some days I don't fit 4 meals in, so that's something I still need to work on.

3.  I feel very good about replacing bread, pasta and sugary treats with wholesome vegetables, for the health of both baby and I.

4.  I haven't stepped on the scale.  While losing weight wasn't a serious goal for me coming into this, I'm still curious to see where I'm at.  I'm finally wearing some of my pre-pregnancy jeans now!

5.  I've noticed an increase in my confidence.  I am extremely introverted, and have always disliked making small talk.  I feel like I'm starting to open up a little bit more.

6.  I've been eating every meal at the table, with zero book/phone/computer/TV distractions.

I'm so very thankful all of you are here to offer encouragement and ideas!  :lol: Hope those with sore throats/colds feel better soon! 

Archived