Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

katie: I totally thought the same thing about it maybe being creepy, but I'm glad you don't think it is.  I was kind of hoping we'd all continue posting on this forum even after our Whole 30 to talk about how reintroduction is going.

Thanks, Ramonax.  I don't have a roasting pan.  Would a glass baking dish work ok?

I put a whole chicken in the crock pot and cook it on low for about 7 hours.  It's so easy on a day when we're busy.  I usually season it with salt, pepper, and either some sage or poultry seasoning and don't add any water.  It will cook in its own juices and comes out nicely done. 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I woke up at 2:30 this morning and lay there wide awake for an hour before I finally got up. :( Yet, somehow, I'm not really tired (yet). Is this the tiger blood? Do I now only need four hours of sleep? Or am I just anxious as usual? I feel remarkably happy in spite of not getting much sleep. I had a great workout this morning and it's going to be a gorgeous day, and my second job is closed so I have the day off! I'm gonna take the dog to the park in the afternoon. :)

I was up with a sick kiddo from 2:30am onward the night before last and was so surprised that I wasn't dying from lack of sleep all day yesterday.  Although I felt like I could have taken a short nap in the afternoon, I wasn't moody or feeling my energy go through highs and lows.  I've got to give the credit to the W30!

mmmm goat cheese and beets are one of my favorite combos, with some almonds or hazelnuts on a big salad, yum!  And I must've eaten a billion greek salads last summer when I was pregnant.  That and kiwis were my only real cravings I had!  We were getting these gold kiwis in town that are less acidic/sweeter, and I probably ate at least 5 a day.

My husband is a commercial fisherman, who owns a boat and fishing permit, and is self employed.  They sell their fish to one of a handful of companies in town.   The fishery is regulated to make sure enough salmon get upstream to spawn.  They usually get to fish twice a week, starting with 12 hour openers, then they usually get longer as the season goes on and enough fish are going upstream.  It's pretty exciting around here come May, when the season starts.  I love watching all the boats heading back to town after a fishing period closes!  Here's a look at the little boats they fish.  I used to go fishing with him, up until a few years ago when I started staying in town to work on nets.  He'll bring me in a bunch of fish if I ask him to, but we usually like to wait until the price they get paid per pound goes down.  We always keep one nice fish to grill after every opener though.  I'm planning on smoking a bunch of it this summer, canning it and making lox.

That pot roast turned out really good.  I wasn't sure how much date paste to add instead of figs, I think I used about 1/4 cup? And I had to add more salt towards the end when I checked it for seasoning.  We ate it with some roasted sweet potato and zucchini, and just finished it off for lunch.  I'm glad there was extra rub leftover, I'm adding that recipe to my arsenal. 

He likes gnawing on my knuckle, and he's been sleeping through the night for me!  I'm thinking if he's really uncomfortable I'll try pumping and see if feeding off a cold bottle helps any too.  The few times he's drank from a bottle he seemed to really like it cold!  I love breastfeeding though, and wonder if he'll take it the wrong way if I try offering a bottle when he's cranky  ^_^ Crossing my fingers hoping it's not a long, drawn-out ordeal!!

Loved the video link!  I grew up in Kodiak and Sitka and would move back to Alaska in a heartbeat.  My husband has enjoyed each time we've gone back for visits, but doesn't want to live there.  The wedding I'm attending soon is for a nephew in Sitka and I'm looking forward to being back in a small town, walking the boat docks, and thoroughly drinking in the atmosphere and views.  I have a deep appreciation for your lifestyle and have enjoyed reading about your game-filled freezer and anticipation of the best fish soon to come!   :)  :)  

galaxigrl - well, we'll definitely have to keep posting, especially now that we agree we aren't creepy :) haha. I love the encouragement and the positive stories and all the recipe sharing! You guys have all been awesome.

jen - that's amazing to hear! I'm not particularly cranky, either!! Getting that tiger blood!!

Omg you guys, you HAVE to try those cabbage rolls if you're a fan of Reubens and have leftover corned beef!!! They were SO good!!!! Really time consuming to make, but you could totally skip the cabbage part and just douse some beef in cabbage and the dressing! :P

I had these stuffed peppers for lunch today and they were so good!  I had it on my Pinterest board and forgot that there's a similar recipe in the book.  I'll have to try that one soon too.  There are lots of leftovers so they're on our dinner menu too.  :)

http://www.primaverakitchen.com/ground-turkey-sweet-potato-stuffed-peppers/

I'm glad you all want to stick around for awhile to encourage one another through reintroductions.  And if anyone wants to do another W30 in the summer or fall, I'd be on board to join you.  Katie, that's really great that your mom is getting interested and might want to do one with you.  I'm certain I'd be going solo whenever I do another one.  My husband has mentioned doing a sugar fast, but doesn't think he could drop everything else.  He loves milk, cheddar, and ice cream too much.  I get it because I used to be the same.  He's liked all the food I've made so far and he's impressed with how good I'm feeling, so that's a step in the right direction. 

Jen C - that chicken in a crockpot idea is brilliant! I'm going to try it. I also like the idea of planning for a second w30. I wonder if that would help with reintroduction, knowing there was another one coming up. I'd do one in the summer too.

I totally want to keep posting during reintroduction! I'm going to need it... I made my meal plan for the week and realized next week's meal plan will include reintroduction food in it! Whoa... Can't believe we're almost there!

Oh and Katie, I'm totally bookmarking those cabbage rolls, they sound so good!

DAY 26!! Only 5 more and we will be victorious!! :D *does a little dance*

jen, thanks for the peppers recipe! I love pretty much anything with sweet potato.

It would be great to do another one of these with you guys! I feel like the summer might be even easier because as far as social gatherings go, people generally default to BBQs and it's really easy to make sure burgers are compliant. We could make big batches and freeze them and just bring them with us. There's usually some kind of salad available, as long as it's not tossed in dressing. My stepmother makes an amazing Greek salad with just light olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice as the dressing. Same with sides like potato salads and cole slaws and things - as long as you can make the homemade mayo, they're pretty straightforward. I would probably have a hard time missing corn on the cob, but there will always be watermelon. :)

Hope you all had great St. Patrick's day (or regular days, if you don't celebrate/care!)

It's Friday - yay! I'm wiped today but I did spend a collective four hours in the kitchen yesterday and still got in my workout and a walk in the park on only four hours of sleep.. so I may have some catching up to do. :P

Galaxigirl - the burgers weren't too bad, I think since we just did burgers and not meatballs. The only extra step was sauteeing the bacon, onion, and jalapeno, but that's all done int he same pan so it wasn't bad at all. They were worth it! Also, I left out the baking soda and cream of tartar and added an egg to bind it. Worked fine for us.

I'd definitely be in for another round this summer - I've been thinking this is something I might want to do a couple times a year, just to keep myself in check. It's so easy to go off the rails!

Ugh, I woke up not feeling so great yesterday morning and hoped it was just allergy symptoms, since I had missed my dose of Flonase on Wednesday.  Nope, it's a cold!  So, I'm home sick from work today trying to rest up and get better!  And I just finished my meal plan for next week.  Since we're going to the Okefenokee Swamp on Friday for Easter weekend, I just continued W30 meals through Thursday, but I will be going out to dinner with friends on Wednesday, and I'm sure I won't be eating W30 then, but I'm going to try to not go overboard.  That's pretty much my husband's and my plan for reintroduction.  Just don't go overboard.  I know it's not very intentional, like the one in the book, but we wanted to be able to do what we wanted when we went out of town on our mini-vacation.  Since we know we want to do another W30 in a few months, we figured we'd do the official reintroduction after that one.  It would be great if we could all do our next W30 together.

katie: I'm making the cabbage rolls tonight for dinner.  I'm so excited!

jen c: The stuffed peppers sound awesome!  And thanks for the tip on making the whole chicken in the crockpot.

CGinDC: You've convinced me to try the burgers!  I'm pinning them now.

Hope y'all have a great Friday!

jen c - That's awesome you are going to visit Sitka soon, hope the weather is nice for you and the wedding party!  :lol:  My husband talks about moving south if fishing ever crashes, I don't know what I would do!  With ocean acidification and warming water temperatures, people around here are getting worried.  Last year the fish that came back were smaller then anyone has ever seen.  I know there is a fishery in the southeast, I wonder if they saw the same thing there?

galaxigrl - Lets just say I've had some sleepless nights while he's out there.  I've fished with him in nasty weather before, and I couldn't imagine being all alone on a tiny boat in the middle of a storm!!  I have mad respect for all these guys (and the couple of women!) who gillnet, those salty dogs!  A few years back a mormon man went fishing, and he came in after a storm and said, "now I know why you guys drink all the time, I could sure go for a shot of whiskey!"  :rolleyes:

Recently I've been into using blueberries in savory applications.  I've been throwing them in sautéed kale, and eating that with sweet potato and eggs for breakfast.  Yesterday I made some Blueberry BBQ sauce for some slow cooked moose ribs.  I added some extra spices, some date paste, liquid smoke and extra vinegar.  Turned out really good, and I have leftover sauce I'm thinking of using on burgers with caramelized onions tonight.  I used the Mocha Spice Rub on the ribs, and also on some sirloin steak the other night.  Yum!

For some reason I just ordered a tortilla press and some masa.  Apparently I want some fresh corn tortillas!  When I get it in my head that I want to make something, I need to make it.  I got up early this morning and made some blueberry cream cheese danish braids for my husband to take to work, even though I've never made them in my life.  

I'm into doing another round of Whole 30 again too!  I've been feeling so amazing, I'm interested to see how reintroductions go.  I have It Starts With Food on the way, I'm really excited to read it.  Maybe I can talk someone I know into doing the next round of W30 with me, but if not, no biggie!  Ya'll are awesome!

Jen C - that chicken in a crockpot idea is brilliant! I'm going to try it. I also like the idea of planning for a second w30. I wonder if that would help with reintroduction, knowing there was another one coming up. I'd do one in the summer too.

This made me laugh!  I don't think my cooking and "brilliant" have ever been used in the same sentence before!  :lol: :lol:

ksea, thanks for the link to the blueberry BBQ sauce.  It looks fantastic!  If there's one condiment I use liberally, it's barbecue sauce, and is one of the few foods I've been missing.  I'll definitely make a batch of this for the weekend. 

Galaxigrl, I hope that you feel better soon - especially in time for your vacation! I guess with your husband and your little one both sick, it was only a matter of time before you got something. :P Let me know what you think of the cabbage rolls!!

ksea - I don't have words to describe my love of blueberry, so I can't thank you enough for that blueberry BBQ sauce! I feel like you really have a knack for finding and tweaking recipes! (Kudos on not eating the blueberry cream cheese Danishes... they sound like heaven!! I could not have made them without trying one).

We'll definitely all have to talk about when would be good for a next round!! :) So happy everyone's been having such positive experiences that we're all on board for another one!!

DAY 27, everybody!!! Oh. My. Goodness!!!! :D We're sssoooo close!!!!

I'm moving a bunch of my stuff in to my dad's house for the week today. Rob (my boyfriend) is tearing up our bathroom floor this week to replace it, and so we won't have a toilet or shower, so we'll be staying with my dad, stepmom, and stepbrothers (who are 7 and 8... and a LOT of energy). I'm anxious about trying to cook in a strange kitchen and not knowing where everything is, and making sure that I bring enough stuff with me from home so I don't have to keep going back and forth. It's only 20 minutes, but it's 40 round trip, and that's just a lot of time to spend.

I've planned relatively simple meals for the week, in hopes that everyone will be able to eat and enjoy them! Tomorrow I'm making spaghetti squash and turkey meatballs with compliant pasta sauce, Tuesday I'm going to make the paleo chicken fingers again, and Thursday or Friday I'm going to make tacos with lettuce wraps for us and regular shells for them. Hopefully there will be enough leftovers to carry us through!

I know technically after Tuesday we are done, but I want to make sure we stay on the wagon for reintroductions. Wednesday or Thursday we're going to reintroduce cheese!! And Sunday for Easter we will reintroduce sugar so we can have bacon, sausage, and ham at brunch with his family. :)

DAY 27, everybody!!! Oh. My. Goodness!!!! :D

I know technically after Tuesday we are done, but I want to make sure we stay on the wagon for reintroductions. Wednesday or Thursday we're going to reintroduce cheese!! And Sunday for Easter we will reintroduce sugar so we can have bacon, sausage, and ham at brunch with his family. :)

I'm doing the same thing for Easter! I want ham! And my birthday is good Friday, so I'll be having a celebratory glass of wine then. But I'll be strict until my birthday and then do a more gradual intro after Easter.

Happy weekend everyone. Can you believe how close we are to being done?

I got some mildly bad news today - I tested positive for one copy of the MTHFR genetic mutation (more info here). I'm not surprised - my sister recently tested positive too, and she has copies from both parents. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant, so the elevated risk of birth defects is a little scary. But, my sister had three healthy babies before she was diagnosed, so I'm trying to stay positive. 

On a different note, what are some good freezer crockpot meals? A good friend just had a baby and I want to take her something easy that she can pull out of the freezer and throw into the crockpot when she needs it. Any suggestions? They don't need to be W30 compliant.

galaxigrl - Hope you're feeling better!  I have seen those breastmilk popsicles before, but totally forgot about them!  That is a good idea, it looks like there's little baby sized popsicle molds for a reasonable price.  Cute!!

katieblue - Making those danishes without trying any wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but it was far from the hardest!  They were a huge hit with the crew, and fairly easy to make, so I'll be making them again sometime.  This morning my husband wanted some sourdough pancakes with wild cranberries, and I was happy I didn't even remotely want any!  They were another pregnancy staple of mine.

That's exciting your bathroom is getting worked on.  I don't think you can go wrong with meatballs, chicken fingers, and tacos!  Some bacon sounds good to me too, I haven't found any that is compliant!  I think I might just follow the sample schedule for reintroduction.  I can't believe how fast it is approaching!!

CGinDC - Thats a bummer you tested positive for that.  But at least you caught it now, and that there seems to be some things you can do to minimize potential problems.  Sounds like a whole30 lifestyle can be especially beneficial!  I'm glad you're staying optimistic, and taking care of yourself!

After the birth of my baby, a friend brought me some frozen chili (it was made with chunks of meat, as opposed to burger, so it seemed extra filling to me), some chicken adobo (a filipino dish of chicken braised in soy sauce, vinegar, and spices), and some fried rice (I just threw the frozen block of it in a pan on the stove, and kept it on low until it defrosted).  I think any stews and meatballs in tomato sauce would be good too, with some french bread to make sandwiches/sop up the sauce!

CGinDC - genetic testing is stressful. So many unknowns that just make you worry and worry and worry. I had to have a bunch of testing when I was pregnant and the worry around that was the worst. I understand the concerns, but also felt the doctors fear mongered. I'm so glad you are thinking positively and that you know that it doesn't have to mean anything at all. 

After I had my son I craved MEAT. So any kind of slow cooker food with MEAT would have been great. Chicken curry or beef stew. I often make people an easy version of caq au vin - bacon, onions, boneless chicken thighs, carrots, poultry spices and wine. cook onions and bacon together, add chicken to the fat and brown, add whatever veggies appeal to you (carrots/mushrooms/celery..) pour in wine and spices and cook it down a bit.  

Thanks for all the well wishes! I'm feeling a little better, but my husband isn't feeling well again. At least our son seems to be better!

ksea: Blueberry bbq sauce? Yum! You must have some serious willpower to make danish and resist it!

katie: Loved, loved, loved the cabbage rolls! The Paleo chicken fingers sound good. Where did you find that recipe?

CGinDC: I'm sorry to hear about the results of the genetic testing. That's great that you're staying positive. There are so many ifs with a pregnancy, but most of them produce 100% healthy babies. I think having a positive attitude is all you can do, and you're already doing that.

I made the Thai Grapefruit Salad (without the dried shrimp) from Mel Joulwan's website, and my husband said it might be his favorite Whole30 dish yet.

Day 27 is almost over. Great job everyone!

I just had to burst out with the excitement -- totally was not ignoring the rest of you!! LOL! :)

Kalina - You enjoy your birthday wine!! And I'll think of you while I'm having ham and having a foodgasm. And if we experience bad sugar effects we can moan about it together on Monday. :P

ksea - Your baking and cooking sounds dangerous! I really admire you for not wanting any. My dad and stepmom specifically just asked me if I would make a carrot cake for Easter and I was like "...oh God... I don't know if I can do it." I feel like having it right in front of you, getting it on your fingers, smelling it as it comes together... it's so tempting!! Good for you being so strong!

Galaxigrl - So glad you liked the cabbage rolls!! I was amazed how much the dressing actually tasted like Russian dressing! I have found most of my recipes on Pinterest! The only one I got from the book were the salmon cakes. I used a combination of these two: (One Two - I baked them but added the smoked paprika from the first one because I love the flavor) chicken fingers recipes, and combined them with the ketchup recipe that I posted earlier and sweet potato fries and steamed broccoli. The whole thing was phenomenal!

Day 28, everybody!!! This is ssssoooo awesome!!!!

Archived