Hi all! Starting Feb 22nd!

katieblue

Jen, that's amazing that your headaches have cleared up so much!! I'm so happy for you!!! :)

Sounds like you have Easter totally covered!! I'm making a sweet potato casserole with coconut milk, clarified butter, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and butter-roasted pecan topping to bring along to my dad's that will be my treat. (Easter will be just sugar for me, since like you said, ham and things have added sugar. So I'll have to be avoiding dairy, too.)

AND I have decided not to eat the carrot cake. I will make it but not eat it. Mostly because we have an Iron Maiden concert on the 30th and I don't want to risk feeling shitty for it. I feel great about that decision and motivation for a strong choice!!!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IRON MAIDEN!! That's my most favourite thing I've read so far....well not better than the pregnancy, but second. :) actually, bacon wrapped sweet potato bits sounded pretty great too. so. many. good. things.

My advice for the carrot cake is to be STUFFED before you start to make it. Don't be hungry at all, make it after breakfast or lunch, and after you have eaten a lot. And something rich so you feel satiated - your craving will be so much more manageable. 

I can't imagine having daily/weekly  headaches. That sounds terrible you guys. I wish they could just go away. 

Katie I wanted to thank you for starting this group and being such a supportive cheerleader. Everyone has been so inspirational and informative to me, and you especially have been cheering us all along with enthusiasm and support and humour. Thank you.

Hi Everyone,

Been totally off the board for a while now, but so great to read that you all have kept it up too, pregnancy and all! (congrats!)

I have found it much easier this last week as it has been a habit now, and I feel so much less inclined to crazy hungry stress eating so less inclined to make mistakes moving forward - I have never been able to wait for food like that if I have to.  I have also loved how creative this has made me around eating whole 30 when I am out and about, so can keep this up. It reminds me of when I was vegetarian (not great for my health) but that same kind of shift in identity and practice in telling people what I need.

I wanted to check in to say that I am so excited that tomorrow is our last day! Although I am not very good at keeping up with online stuff, I have really appreciate this group and the support I got at the rocky times. Thanks all!

I also wanted to share my re-introduction plan, in case it helps anyone else: It is based on already knowing I can't do uncultured dairy or most gluten, so skipping those:

I am going to do a little bit of sugar first - this weekend for Easter - and then start officially the rest next week. (and totally make that Sweet Potato casserole thanks Katieblue!)

Day 1 - yogurt and hard cheese, Day 4: Lentils and Miso, Day 6: other legumes, Day 9: soaked non-gluten grains, Day 12: my sourdough rye bread Day 15: other non-soaked grains incl. corn.  I am going to try and keep up no alcohol/sugar/industrial oils on a regular basis, but may figure out guidelines appropriate times to treat myself to these! I am thinking once a week pick one might be a good guideline...  Otherwise my plan is to pretty much eat "paleo" but with some re-introductions of traditionally processed dairy/grains on a small basis if I find out I can do ok on these.

Congrats to those of you who will be finishing tomorrow (today if you live on the East Coast! I following one day behind you. I think I will reintroduce Dairy first and then let the others follow. I mostly need to continue on with this, though.

Ramonax - are you a fan, too!? I feel like we totally could have been gushing over Maiden and other metal for 30 days! Now we HAVE to stay in touch!! :P

You are SO right about being stuffed pre-carrot cake. I'm going to bake it right after breakfast on Friday, and then I'll wait until after lunch to frost it! (That will be the hardest part because I always taste-test my way through makinf frosting!) Thanks for the tip!

And thank you so much for the kind words. I'm so glad I did start this, because you all have been sooo supportive and amazing and I've loved the little network we built to help each other along! I'll miss checking in with you everyday! Don't be strangers, okay? Feel free to PM me anytime!

Muez - nice to hear from you!! So glad that you've been feeling so positive and seeing the NSV's!! I think your reintro plan looks like you have it all figured out and I wish you the best of luck with it and moving forward. :)

Marjanill - thank you, and congrats to you, too!! You're almost there!!

And to all of you -- DAY 30!!! THIS IS OUR LAST DAY!!!!!

Congrats to you guys! I'm a day behind so I'll be right there with you tomorrow. I need to go back and read the guidance on reintroductions - I think I might try dairy first. I've never noticed that it bothers me but it will be interesting to see how I do with it. I feel really bloated (thanks, spawn) so I might hold off on legumes for a while. I also read that one of the things I need to avoid because of the particular genetic mutation that I have is fortified foods - so that's going to rule out a lot of wheat products since most of what's in the store had added vitamins.

I am thrilled to be pregnant, but you know what I was so looking forward to when this was a done? A nice cold beer. It's getting warm and we'll start firing up the grill soon...so bummed I can't partake!

Congrats to you guys! I'm a day behind so I'll be right there with you tomorrow. I need to go back and read the guidance on reintroductions - I think I might try dairy first. I've never noticed that it bothers me but it will be interesting to see how I do with it. I feel really bloated (thanks, spawn) so I might hold off on legumes for a while. I also read that one of the things I need to avoid because of the particular genetic mutation that I have is fortified foods - so that's going to rule out a lot of wheat products since most of what's in the store had added vitamins.

I am thrilled to be pregnant, but you know what I was so looking forward to when this was a done? A nice cold beer. It's getting warm and we'll start firing up the grill soon...so bummed I can't partake!

That sucks about the beer. I found drinking in general difficult when pregnant - I just wanted a glass of wine and nothing ever replaced that. Most other drinks are too sweet (juice/pop) and water, while I love it, got boring. There aren't many savoury (for lack of a better word) non-alcoholic drinks. I cooked a lot with the alcohol free wine, and once had an alcohol free beer(it was okay?) but mostly I just complained! I missed sushi the most. I was lying there, with my newborn squirmy son thinking "OMG, I can have raw salmon now". Start planning now to have a beer in your hospital bag. :)

Galaxigrl, I totally agree, it feels like all my free time has been spent cooking!! I think the trick will be to just do more bulk prep on one day instead of spreading it out over several days. Maybe a massive crock pot meat dish on a Sunday and lots of chopping for veggies to go as sides with it. Also, since it will be getting warmer, perhaps more grilling - can be a LOT simpler than some of these more elaborate dishes. I could totally tolerate burgers and grilled chicken most nights! And the steam in the bag veggies instead of chopping/steaming which is time consuming. ;) AND DOUBLE EVERYTHING.

I haven't actually eaten at Five Guys, but I did discover recently that they do not add any seasonings at all so it's totally safe to order a bunless burger with any of the veggie toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, jalapenos, green peppers, mushrooms)! Might just want to bring your own condiments if you like ketchup or mayo - not sure about the mustard or hot sauce they supply.

bhenningsen, good luck on the rest of your journey!! :)

Katie, about Five guys, I just took a look at their nutritional info. Please note that you can not eat the grilled mushrooms while you are on whole30. They have sugar and high fructose corn syrup in them. You can eat the burgers and the other items you listed. I think that's the case with a lot of other restaurants as well though so nothing special at Five guys.

Congrats to everyone for making it! I'm on day 29 and will continue through day 31 and will reintro wine on Friday (birthday!) I'd like to keep up with everyone during reintro are we going to continue on this thread or start a different one? Just so I know where to look out for everyone. This week calls for celebration!

Thank you bhenningsen!! Glad to see that update!

Sorry you won't be able to have beer, CG! My boyfriend misses it a lot, too. Luckily for me I've never been much of a drinker! I just want my damn burger with cheese.

Kalina, I was wondering that myself! I figure we can just stay on this one since we all know where to find it? What do y'all think?

Day 30, y'all!  I was getting a little teary catching up on the posts and knowing it's our last day.  I hope y'all keep posting.  You're my little Whole30 family!  I think we might as well just keep up on this thread, since everyone is already used to going here.

Katie: Thanks for the suggestions on making cooking easier.  I agree with you on the steamed veggies and grilling.  I need to talk my husband into buying a gas grill.  We have a Big Green Egg and a charcoal one, and neither are that convenient.  I'm making the crockpot carnitas today that you've made.  I can't wait to try them!  I'm guessing that's going to make a bunch of servings!

CGinDC: That stinks about the beer, although I have to admit that while I was pregnant, I partook in a drink every now and then.  I think in the USA we worry about stuff way too much.  I feel the same way about sushi.  If it's from a trusted, clean place, you're not likely to get sick from it, and, if you do, it's just going to be normal food poisoning, which does not cross over the placenta, as opposed to listeria, which can cross over the placenta.  Risks for listeria I took very seriously (lunch meat).  But there are other people who think lunch meat is fine.  You just have to do what's right for you!

Have y'all tried Kombucha?  I've found that it's a decent replacement for wine.  It's not quite as sweet as other non-alcoholic drinks, and it has that sort-of vinegary flavor.  Not sure if it's safe during pregnancy, though.

Muez: I love your very detailed reintroduction plan.  I hope my reintro goes ok, given I'm going to have wine and chocolate tomorrow, then back to W30 on Thursday, and then potentially a free for all starting Friday, since we're going out of town and won't be cooking W30, so we'll have to see what we can find to eat in restaurants.

Congrats to everyone for making it the whole 30 days!  We're awesome!

I'm happy to stay on this one - but I know in the past moderators have asked groups to move. Maybe one of them will jump in and tell us what to do - staying here makes the most sense to me. Even though it shouldn't matter, once you have to move to a new posting place, people lose momentum. 

Day 30 !!!  Way to go everyone!  :lol:

katieblue - Those health issues you have sound really tough.  I'm happy you are being kind to your body now!!  It is awesome that you are going to continue with another Whole30, and hopefully that helps to balance out your hormones.  That sweet potato casserole sounds divine.  Definitely on my queue now.  I have to echo Ramonax in extending a huge thank you to you!!  You have been a total rockstar!!  Everyone else has been wonderful as well!!!  :wub:

I ate raw salmon sushi (I always freeze it for the proper amount of time to kill any potential parasites) and salami during my pregnancy.  I haven't had a chance to try kombucha yet, but sometimes I consider ordering a scoby and starting some.  Before I started the Whole30 I saw some recipes for making ginger ale that I wanted to try really badly.  I wasn't sure if any of the sugar remained at the end of the fermentation process or not, so I just held off.

I received my copy of It Starts With Food yesterday, and it feels like a total non-food reward for making it through my first Whole30!  Yay!!

Today I have a huge pot of curry stew bubbling on the stove, and made some baba ghanoush.  I roast my eggplants in the oven.  I don't have any tahini, so I used sunbutter.  Also ran out of lemon, so I used rice vinegar.  Added a quarter of a roasted yam, and blended it all up with some garlic and olive oil.  Yum!  Not super authentic baba ghanoush, but delicious nonetheless.

Hi, everyone, and congrats on completing (almost) our 30th day! I haven't posted in a few days, just been crazy busy with school stuff (report cards, tests to grade, etc.)  

This group has been sooooo helpful with ideas, recipes, and encouragement the last month.  I agree we should just keep posting here.  My husband and I want to do another W30, probably starting May 1.  I'm most looking forward to my coffee creamer tomorrow morning.  I think tomorrow I will have that, some yogurt at lunch, and wine in the evening.  My husband and I also have plans to eat at Chipotle tomorrow for dinner.  (We have not eaten out at all these last 30 days).  

CGinDC:  So happy for you! It is a bummer not to be able to drink, but I agree with galaxigrl, my doctor said an occasional glass of wine or beer will be fine.  

Let's keep in touch!

Wendy

Galaxigrl, you are so sweet!! I definitely agree with you that you guys should get a gas grill - they are THE easiest way to cook (and most delicious!!). Let me know what you think of the carnitas for sure - that's an excellent last Whole 30 meal! (Totally my favorite of everything I made!) And what did you have with it? We first had it with tomato cucumber salas, but put leftovers over salads and inside sweet potatoes with pico de gallo and guac, and I tossed some olives in with mine.. So many options and always looking for more!

I have never tried kombucha but one of my co-workers drinks it all the time and adores it! I definitely am curious.

Ksea, thank you so much!! That was sssooo nice of you to say all of that. :) You guys are making me so mushy right now. I appreciate you all so much!!

If you do make the sweet potato casserole, definitely let me know if you like it! It was the only recipe I dreamed up myself instead of finding somewhere! Haha.

And you have had so many creative cooking ideas!! I am so jealous of your dinner right now - it sounds exotic and amazing and a hell of a way to end our 30 days!

Wendy, enjoy your Chipotle tomorrow!! You deserve it! We have all worked our butts off here!

And if we are asked to move, we can always put a link here to the new thread!

I am so excited to be able to say this --

CONGRATULATIONS, EVERYONE!! WE MADE IT!!!

30 days of no additives, sugars, grains, dairy, legumes, alcohol (and whatever else was on the list). 30 days straight of just taking really good care of ourselves!!!!

I DEFINITELY want to hear ALL of your  NSV's!!!

Here are mine:

- I went from a compulsive scale-stepper (2-3x/day) to not weighing myself for 30 entire days.

- I did weigh myself this morning, and realized I gained weight, and you know what? I DON'T FEEL LIKE IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD.

- I am hungry in the mornings when I wake up!

- I (mostly) stopped logging my food! (I still have caught myself trying to calculate mentally how many calories I'm eating - but this is going to take a little while to completely resolve, after doing it for years)

- I realized homemade condiments and dressings are easy and absolutely delicious.

- I DISCOVERED CARNITAS! :wub:

- I realized tea and coffee can be amazing without sugar - and absolutely decadent with coconut milk!

- AND I DON'T EVEN MISS SUGAR. My sugar dragon is asleep. I have the occasional craving for cake, but it's WAY better than it used to be, with dying for something sweet after every meal.

- I stopped snacking!! No randomly wandering into the kitchen and eating out of boredom. I have only had one snack during this entire 30 days, and it was raw vegetables.

- I've realized a possible reaction to FODMAPs which may improve digestion in the future.

- I am WAY kinder to myself. I may not love the person in the mirror yet, but I don't get disgusted with her or hate her when I see her. And I actually want to take care of her, not tear her down for being revolting.

- To that end, I am way more positive in general!

I honestly don't even really want to reintroduce cheese any more today. I want to keep feeling like this and taking care of myself. I might just see how long I can go. :)

Congratulations you guys! Can't wait to join you on the other side tomorrow! I'll wait until then to post my NSVs....but I'd say the obvious one is getting knocked up on the first try, when I thought it was going to take us months and month due to my medical history!

As far as keeping the thread going, I think the moderators have the ability to move entire threads to a new section - maybe we can ask that they move us, rather than making us start a new thread over?

WE DID IT!!!!!  Congrats to all of us!

NSVs:

1. I cut WAY back on my snacking.  I used to snack all the time.  I still do a little bit of it, but I've probably cut out about 80%.

2. I have absolutely no craving at this moment.  I'm not DYING to have anything I haven't had for the last 30 days, including sugar! (I think this one is especially huge for me.)

3. I feel good about myself and what I'm putting into my body.  I feel like I'm taking care of myself and really honoring my body for the first time...in maybe forever.

4. WAY less digestive issues!

5. I loved being on a "diet" where I could eat enough food to make myself full.  I feel like I lost a good amount of weight for not counting calories, fat, or anything else, and not working out at all other than an occasional walk with the stroller.

6. I agree with Katie that homemade condiments are amazing!  Much better than the store-bought ones.  I will be making W30 mayo and ranch dressing forever!

I was going to have wine and a cadbury egg tonight, and now I don't even know if I will.  Like Katie, I'm going to maybe just keep going with this and see how things go.

Ya'll. I can't. I have so many feelings right now.

We took before/after pictures and my husband's were SO amazing. I'd post them if I thought he wouldn't kill me. :) He still has work to do (As do I!) but seeing such incredible results for him made my heart swell this morning. My before/afters weren't too shabby either, although not nearly as incredibly obvious as his. Like I said earlier, we are going to take some time and evaluate, and then start back on April 1. He told me had a donut this morning that someone brought to work and he feels like he needs an insulin shot. Haha.

NSVs -

Energy. Positive mindset. Proud of accomplishing something. I actually haven't had a headache for a few days.. pretty much after I posted that, they disappeared.. I cut back on snacking, probably about 80% as well - but how I snack is even different - not just reaching for something sweet, or because I'm bored, or whatever.  I'm not craving anything - throughout the program I had cravings for BEER, that warm chocolate chip cookie that I told ya'll about, and rice (Strangely?) But I don't have any desire for any of those things today. I even drank my coffee black this morning, which I thought would be the first thing I wanted to switch back. My coworkers have told me that I'm losing weight but have seen me eat two of my three meals every day this month (breakfast and lunch) so they know I'm not starving myself or doing anything too restrictive (Because who actually eats when they are dieting?) so I've had lots of questions, especially this past week. I'm down one pants size.  I feel like I can throw things together in the kitchen in a way that I never could - I don't know if that makes sense. But this has given me the confidence to get more creative in the kitchen than I ever was before. And we didn't just eat chicken and vegetables all month, which I think surprised the whole family.

I think most importantly, we are having conversations about health at home, in front of the kids, and with them. We are talking about healthy choices in a way that isn't about a "diet" or weight loss. We are talking about how food makes us feel, which I think is really important for them to hear.

I'm proud of ya'll, I really really am.

I think most importantly, we are having conversations about health at home, in front of the kids, and with them. We are talking about healthy choices in a way that isn't about a "diet" or weight loss. We are talking about how food makes us feel, which I think is really important for them to hear.

This part is so important to me too. My mother has a horrible relationship with food - she was bulimic through college and never really overcame her food issues. I grew up watching her yo-yo diet all the time, and then totally going off the rails and gaining 30-40 pounds at a time. Nothing ever worked for very long, except maybe weight watchers - but when she's on it (including to today) she has so much food anxiety. And it sent a really awful message to me as a girl. I was a bit chubby growing up and never felt good enough because of it. Although there's always that piece of me that's concerned i could stand to lose 10 or 15 pounds, I try not to let it rule my life. And I sincerely hope that if I have a girl, that I NEVER pass along those same issues. I have an 11-year old stepson whose eating habits are pretty typical for most American kids. My husband tries to make sure he's getting balanced nutrition, but he still starts his day with cereal or oatmeal. And we wonder why he has a hard time paying attention in school! I'm slowly working on them, but I'm trying to do it in a way that talks about health, energy, and how food makes me feel. One day I might get my husband do a W30 with me.

When I first started my stepson jokingly asked if I was on a diet because I didn't want any of his pringles. I laughed and told him to look at my dinner plate and tell me then if he thought I was on a diet...that took care of that.

Hi, I'm looking to start on Apr. 4th.  I saw you developed your menu and shopping list for the next 4 weeks.  Is this "sharable?"  I know you put a lot of work into it, so I don't want to impose, but if you don't mind sharing, I would GREATLY appreciate any starter help I can get.

ps..hope you are doing well since you've begun!  and, I'm a PA resident, but a frequenter of the Jersey Shore with my family!

Congrats everyone!! And to those whose Day 30 is today/soon, the finish line is right within reach of your paws!!

katieblue - I love your NSV's.  Your optimism is infectious.  It's funny how we spent a lot of this time dreaming of what we would have after we were finished, only to find the desire for it is gone!  *high five*

CGinDC - I'll bet you are on cloud nine right now.  Can't wait to hear your NSV's!  :)

galaxigrl - I could copy and paste your NSV's as my own!

bwilliams180 - Those dramatic changes you and your husband are seeing is awesome!  Not only in how you look, but how you feel/talk about food!!  I think it is very inspiring when someone finds confidence in the kitchen.  It opens up a whole world of possibilities!!

Archived