A Cold On Day 3 :( Any Whole 30 Soup Ideas?

Go figure, I have a cold. It was pretty bad yesterday (day 2) and I kept waking up in the middle of the night to cough my heart out. My whole life I usually get a cold in the springtime, but this one is especially hard because I cannot just go and cook up a can of Chicken Noodle Soup. Today's email let me know that it is common to get sick in the first week, but that does not make life any easier.

Does anyone have any advice during this time? What kind of cold remedies worked for you (Whole 30 approved)?

Thank you!  ^_^

My favorite cold remedy is "tomato tea". Not really tea at all.  I heat up V8 juice (or you could use plain tomato juice), with a clove of garlic cut in half, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. Pour it into a mug, squeeze a wedge fresh lemon juice into it and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.  You could also add some ginger root if you have it.  Sip it down and you will feel better.  Really!  Hope you feel better.

• Administrators
  • 2 weeks later...

I came down with a "really bad sinus infection" right at the start of my Whole 30 and I'm on day 16 and still trying to get over it. Steroid shot, Rocephin shot, and Levaquin, plus OTC stuff. I've had a rough week this week and have been weepy days 14-16. I've sipped the broths a few times. Wish I could get well and feel better.

Go figure, I have a cold. It was pretty bad yesterday (day 2) and I kept waking up in the middle of the night to cough my heart out. My whole life I usually get a cold in the springtime, but this one is especially hard because I cannot just go and cook up a can of Chicken Noodle Soup. Today's email let me know that it is common to get sick in the first week, but that does not make life any easier.

Does anyone have any advice during this time? What kind of cold remedies worked for you (Whole 30 approved)?

Thank you! ^_^

I have a horrible cold as well and last night I boiled chicken breasts in water, and used the resulting liquid as my soup base. Added spices for my taste, celery, carrots, potatoes, onion and cubed the chicken...it was like heaven in a bowl! Also, I have been using saliene nasal spray to keep sinuses more clear, as well as herbal teas with a drop of peppermint oil. Those are all soothing to your throat and open up airways.

At Whole Foods I also found something called a "neti-stick" (because the thought of using a netti-pot really freaks me out) and it's nothing more than a blend of essential oils to inhale, and open up airways, like the Vicks ones out there.

Hope you feel better soon!

Archived