Starting Saturday 5th March in UK

SharynF

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you in Devon? Rod and Ben's are just down the road from me. 

My grandpa was allergic to tomatoes - his hands used to break out whenever he got near them. He was a chef so it was difficult for him. 

And I am not reintroducing anything just yet. I would like to do a Whole 60 and then reintro cheese when we go on holiday on 13th May. There is not much else I am missing currently 

I'm up in wet and windy Lancashire but my local grocery store sells Rod and Ben's Soups. Closest thing to a take-away now.

I'm up in wet and windy Lancashire but my local grocery store sells Rod and Ben's Soups. Closest thing to a take-away now.

I didn't realise they had spread that far. They started with some organic veg and a soup tureen in Exeter's Farmers' Market! 

Last night I ate something non-compliant. But I am still committed to Whole 30 and today is Day 34.

We have a local farm which makes and sells its own sausages and burgers. Hubby went there yesterday to enquire about a bulk order for an event he is running and came home with some samples before he places a £100+ order. The sausages are 98% very good quality meat and 2% rusk. No nasties. I had two for my supper with a large mess of kale and ratatouille and a couple of fried eggs. If I get no reaction we will buy some for home. So yesterday was a reintro. I have no plans to try anything else for the next 26 days. No reaction so far so I am hoping these lovely sossies will be ok for the future. 

Loving being in control and getting to know my body again :)

No reaction so far to the rusk in the sausages. Still compliant meals and have oily fish tonight. I am feeling a bit frazzled and I am not sure whether that is because of lack of decent sleep or the cause of the lack of decent sleep. Yaaaaawn

Day 35

M1 cold sliced beef, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, mayo

M2 hot roast chicken thighs, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, aoli

M2 salmon fillet on spiced caulicous with flaked almonds and pomegranate seeds

Your meals sound delicious. After doing huge shop last weekend I hardly did any prep on Sunday- only mayo and baked sweet potatoes, so this week's been something of a struggle. I've worked late a few nights and got home too hungry to prepare proper meals, eg: tin of red salmon mixed with sweet potato and mayo, cold roast chicken breast with mayo, an avocado, and a green apple.

But, my Well Fed books have arrived in the post and my butcher is saving some beef bones for me for tomorrow, so this Sunday is going to be a full-on prep day. Also going to make sure I take a mini meal to work in future for late nights.

No reaction so far to the rusk in the sausages. Still compliant meals and have oily fish tonight. I am feeling a bit frazzled and I am not sure whether that is because of lack of decent sleep or the cause of the lack of decent sleep. Yaaaaawn

re: your tiredness, are you drinking enough water? Water gives me more energy. I gave up caffeine at start of W30 and I'm sleeping more soundly most nights and get off to sleep fairly easily most nights. Herbal tea will never replace a proper brew for me but I am enjoying the benefits.

re: your tiredness, are you drinking enough water? Water gives me more energy. I gave up caffeine at start of W30 and I'm sleeping more soundly most nights and get off to sleep fairly easily most nights. Herbal tea will never replace a proper brew for me but I am enjoying the benefits.

You may be right about the caffeine. I went decaff when I did my first Whole 30. And I know I don't drink enough water - but I am a tour guide with a weak bladder so I don't drink much when I have a tour that day. Not sure how to get round that one!! 

Day 36

M1 coconut milk, banana, chopped nuts, coconut flakes. I just could not eat meat and veg this morning. 

M2 Coronation chicken on spinach, rocket, cucumber and tomatoes. 

M3 sausages with left over caulicous pilaff

M1,  Rod and Ben's beetroot, spinach and kale soup + cold lamb chop

M2   2 cold lamb chops and a whole punnet of rasberries - oops.

M3   2 grilled Mackerel fillets on a plate of baby kale with balsamic vinegar + green apple

:unsure: I will be better next week.

PS: I am on day 26!!  Could reasonably finish after next tuesday but I want to feel the benefits more consistently before reintro's. Also want to test out other foods in nightshade group 1 at a time, since I've found that I'm sensitive to tomatoes.

Have you tried soup for breakfast? Felt a bit more normal to be eating something from a bowl, with a spoon. Would the silken zucchini and ginger soup fit the template ie: does the bone broth it is made with, provide a portion of protein?

Your meals look a bit short on fat Jen. And I do like soup for breakfast  - with an egg or two dropped in to poach. Runny yolk in soup is gorgeous!  I am not sure about the bone broth - where does it appear on the food template list? 

Stay with me - I am on Day 37 now and happy that the sausages caused no issues. I am going to get some to freeze. 

M1,  Rod and Ben's beetroot, spinach and kale soup + cold lamb chop

M2   2 cold lamb chops and a whole punnet of rasberries - oops.

M3   2 grilled Mackerel fillets on a plate of baby kale with balsamic vinegar + green apple

:unsure: I will be better next week.

PS: I am on day 26!!  Could reasonably finish after next tuesday but I want to feel the benefits more consistently before reintro's. Also want to test out other foods in nightshade group 1 at a time, since I've found that I'm sensitive to tomatoes.

Have you tried soup for breakfast? Felt a bit more normal to be eating something from a bowl, with a spoon. Would the silken zucchini and ginger soup fit the template ie: does the bone broth it is made with, provide a portion of protein?

No, you'd need to add protein to the meal. Bone broth is kind of supplementary...

Your meals look a bit short on fat Jen. And I do like soup for breakfast  - with an egg or two dropped in to poach. Runny yolk in soup is gorgeous!  I am not sure about the bone broth - where does it appear on the food template list? 

Stay with me - I am on Day 37 now and happy that the sausages caused no issues. I am going to get some to freeze. 

Rightly or wrongly, I count the fat on chops and steak as my fat portion and Mackerel fillets are quite oily. I know W30 isn't a weight loss diet but I am a bit disappointed that I don't appear to have reduced my middle age spread after the first week or so.  It's day 30 for me tomorrow. I didn't measure myself before W30 so can only go by what I see in the mirror. My clothes fit a bit better but they're not falling off me. I think I've probably been eating too much protein so may try and reduce it and eat more veg. I am looking forward to more fruit after tomorrow; it's the only thing I've really missed. 

Have just turned off slow cooker after simmering my beef bone broth for 24 hrs. Looks and smells very rich and delicious. Must admit, I felt a bit squeamish when I opened the bag of raw bones. My butcher gave me 3kgs of grass fed bones for free! Had to freeze half. By the way, my nails are all splitting, is it lack of calcium or something else?

I'm still here.  Wasn't fully compliant during the first week after our first 30 days but am jumping back on now.  Hubby has arrived from California and our care home acquisition in Dawlish is going through on Thursday.  Fun, fun - we will be our own bosses.  I am going to redo my visa and quit my job ASAP as I unfortunately don't like this particular workplace.  No need to suffer since I now will be a part owner of a care home.  I just didn't want to give up my career as a vet, but it's just not worth the unhappiness.

Had a bit of dairy last week and was immediately achy - proves, as always, that dairy is my trigger.  Almond milk in tea is just not the same.  :-( 

I've been drinking lemon water instead of tea in the mornings now.  I don't quite understand the science behind how it is supposed to be good for you, but a little vitamin C can't hurt anyone.

That's all for today.  I guess I am back on Day 1 for a second whole30.  But really this is a lifestyle for me.

M1 was two fried eggs and some sauteed mushrooms.

I have been trying to figure out where one gets bones for bone broth.

Tracy - ask about bones at Pipers Farm in Magdelen Road. Lovely organic butcher with  a great reputation. I think you are living near there. 

Vets - we use City Vets and they are lovely with several branches around Exeter. Will you be moving to Dawlish?

Day 40 and I had some non-compliant apple sauce last night. Just a couple of teaspoons but I was thirsty all night and have a banging headache today. So I have added apples to my shopping list and will make my own. I hope it freezes ok as we don't use it often. 

This past 10 days have been hard! Maybe the timeline needs to be extended for those of us who don't get all the benefits first time round (joke). I seem to be have a recurrence of 'kill all the things' and carb flu. 

Today?

M1 eggs, bacon, mushrooms and tomato all fried in olive oil and ghee

M2 large salad with compliant Polish sausages and HB eggs

M3 Bolognese sauce on buttered spinach. 

Please let me sleep tonight. 

Rightly or wrongly, I count the fat on chops and steak as my fat portion and Mackerel fillets are quite oily. I know W30 isn't a weight loss diet but I am a bit disappointed that I don't appear to have reduced my middle age spread after the first week or so.  It's day 30 for me tomorrow. I didn't measure myself before W30 so can only go by what I see in the mirror. My clothes fit a bit better but they're not falling off me. I think I've probably been eating too much protein so may try and reduce it and eat more veg. I am looking forward to more fruit after tomorrow; it's the only thing I've really missed. 

Have just turned off slow cooker after simmering my beef bone broth for 24 hrs. Looks and smells very rich and delicious. Must admit, I felt a bit squeamish when I opened the bag of raw bones. My butcher gave me 3kgs of grass fed bones for free! Had to freeze half. By the way, my nails are all splitting, is it lack of calcium or something else?

I still always add more... Mackerel isn't nearly oily enough to count it as a serving of fat - and I eat A LOT of mackerel... 

This is the great thing about shopping local - you can build up such a great relationship with your butcher/green grocer - I'm always getting freebies...!!

Day 40 and I had some non-compliant apple sauce last night. Just a couple of teaspoons but I was thirsty all night and have a banging headache today. So I have added apples to my shopping list and will make my own. I hope it freezes ok as we don't use it often. 

This past 10 days have been hard! Maybe the timeline needs to be extended for those of us who don't get all the benefits first time round (joke). I seem to be have a recurrence of 'kill all the things' and carb flu. 

Today?

M1 eggs, bacon, mushrooms and tomato all fried in olive oil and ghee

M2 large salad with compliant Polish sausages and HB eggs

M3 Bolognese sauce on buttered spinach. 

Please let me sleep tonight

How much sugar was in 2 tspns of apple sauce? What other additives were in there? If you got a headache from a tiny amount of sugar it's kinda scary. Someone on another thread had a similar reaction from eating 2 dates. 

re: Sleep; I don't mean to teach anyone to suck eggs, so please ignore if you've tried all of the below,

• turn off all electronic devices including mobiles at least 1hr before lights out. Blue light is like sunlight to our brains. 
  • don't have caffeine after M3. 
  • try a hot bath before bed, our body temp drops slightly when we sleep so cooling down after a hot bath can simulate this.
  • if you're kept awake by unwanted thoughts or worries about not sleeping: focusing upon the here and down can distract you so: name 5 things you can see around you or imagine, then 4 things you can smell or can imagine the smell of, ...3 x touch..2 x hear, 1 x taste. OR, burn a scented candle then extinguish just before lights out and focus your thoughts on sight and smell of candle.
  •  try tensing then relaxing each little bit of your body in sequence starting with toes and working up to each facial muscle in turn.
  •  try deep breathing from your abdomen, in through mouth, out through nose - your tummy should rise and fall not your chest.

Sweet dreams ;)

ps: I lost 4lbs on W30. Nothing to write home about but at least I didn't gain. I over optimistically tried on a work blouse this morning that I've not been able to get into for 3 years. There is still a 3 inch gap between buttons and button holes. I genuinely envy people who carry weight on their derriere, there is NOTHING glamorous or sexy about industrial strength bras.

Thanks Jen - I have tried all of those and more over the years. I certainly turn all electronics off at least an hour before bed. We don't have a TV so I read a lot and always happy to do so for several hours before sleeping. 

Industrial strength knickers aren't so hot either ;)

And the apple sauce had some weird sounding things in. I am pretty sure it's not the sugar as I have been eating fruit each day and I didn't eat one apple's worth of sauce. 

I have a huge pot of Bolognese sauce on the hob right now. And I have just made a small mug of thick and creamy hot chocolate. Coconut milk, water, organic cocoa powder and some cinnamon. God it was gorgeous. I feel happy now :)

Day 41 and yesterday was fully compliant and sleep wasn't too bad after a 1.30 loo trip. 

I was feeling a bit despondent yesterday so I measured my waist and another half inch has gone. Hubby says I am losing but he is a sweetie and I am not sure he really knows what I look like. He never mentions my weight or my clothes or my hair so I really am doing this for me. 

M1 tuna pot and avo with salt before aquafit and sauna

M2 probably a salmon salad at the gym

M3 Bolognese sauce with courgetti (first time using my spiraliser this Whole30+)

See you on the other side. 

Day 42

we went out for lunch today and I used it as an opportunity to try bread. I didn't enjoy it and I have felt incredibly tired ever since. So that's another one I won't bother with again. Next time I have a ploughman's (with ham) I shall just eat the salad and fruit - and probably ask for more salad or sweet potato wedges to replace the bread. 

Day 43, still plodding on. Yesterday's bread had an effect on bowel movements this morning. What had been free and easy for the past month or more was not as forthcoming this morning!! Sorry if TMI but I am keeping this log for myself for the future. 

Today is the 25th anniversary of us moving to Devon and starting our new life together. Still in the same house and still happy. No celebrations as I am at home and he is out on Dartmoor overnight. So:

M1 kabanos and tomatoes

M2 spinach, rocket, mayo, 2 fried eggs, 2 back bacon rashers and fried mushrooms

M3 bolognese sauce with this as a side  subbing the groundnut oil and soy sauce for olive oil and coconut aminos. 

Me and the cat are having a great time :)

Congratulations on your anniversary Sharon! 

Today I went in search of sunflower seed butter to make sunshine sauce. No luck, but my nearest health food store said they will try to order some in for me. I want to make the "best chicken" recipe in Well Fed 1 this weekend but don't have coconut aminos. I'm tempted to reintro soy so I can use the tamari I already have in the cupboard. I've never had a problem with soy before and used to eat lots of tofu.

A couple of weeks ago I had a 5 day binge on cashew nuts (ate about 3 handfuls a day) and had a mild headache every afternoon. The headaches stopped as soon as I stopped eating the nuts. Today I tried cashews again but only in 1 cashew naked bar. I felt a headache almost immediately although it went quickly. I've never had a problem with any nuts before and have eaten lots of cashews. Could the W30 cause us to develop sensitivities to food? I don't think it was the dates which were the only other ingredient because I had a pecan pie naked bar last week without problems. The rest of my 'snack' was 2 slices of organic ham and a green apple. (I was very late getting home from shopping).

I bought myself a fitbit yesterday. Want to take advantage of my increased energy to improve on my very poor fitness levels. 

"We don't have a TV so I read a lot and always happy to do so for several hours before sleeping." I don't have a TV either. Funny, people always seem so amazed when I tell them that I thought I must be unique.

That best chicken recipe really is the best ever - just like the name says. But I have never made the sauce to go with it. Just the chicken. I brine chicken breasts in batches and freeze them. 

Hubby should be home by late afternoon so I shall cook for both of us this evening again. Lamb chops, sweet potato mash and broccoli. I am going to look for a recipe for the broccoli as I like a gravy or sauce with a meal.Something with mint or rosemary in it to go with the lamb.

A swim and sauna is on the cards this afternoon to ease out the kinks from yesterday's nordic walk and a morning of cleaning *yawn* I am so not a housewife!!

Archived