Starting Saturday 5th March in UK

SharynF

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrat's on your weight/inch loss :)

I feel like I've spent the whole weekend shopping and prepping for next week.

Today made: 1 batch silken zucchini soup - not bad.

1 batch cauliflower soup - Yum! thick and creamy, will be perfect for breakfasts.

1 batch mayo - with part avo oil, turned out lemon sherbet colour.

large  tray of roasted veg - cooked in goose fat.

4 roasted chicken breasts. - After making the soup, I decided to just put the chicken au natural in a roasting bag. Will do the best ever chicken recipe another time. The coconut amino's are in the brine but only half tblspn, so I will just leave out when I come to make it.

I still need to make coleslaw tomorrow evening to use up half a white cabbage and a broccoli stalk that have been lurking in the bottom of my fridge for over a week.

I am sorted for M1&2  for next 5 days. M3 for next few nights will be pork stir fry.

Day - I'm not sure, somewhere in the 40s heading towards 50.

M1 smoked sausages and tomatoes

M2 smoked sausages and tomatoes

M3 pork stir fry

I ran out of food! Been shopping now and supplies are good for a few days. 

Aqua zumba class this morning was great but tiring. My poor knees do respond well to the bending and stretching though so it's worth it.  I wore a different swimsuit to yesterday and it felt a lot more supportive :)

Hello girls!

I am new to the Forum but very happy to have found a UK based one.  I shall speak at length when I get home from work later.  I am just about to start my 2nd WHOLE 30 and need a little support.  I'm happy to give support too!!

I'm doing food shopping on the way home and am focused on getting EXACTLY what I need.   Lost 10lbs on the first WHOLE 30 I did in Feb and would ideally like to do the same again on this next one. It's my birthday on 17 May so should almost be there by that time, if I get my bum into gear!!

Love to all.

Sue x

Hello girls!

I am new to the Forum but very happy to have found a UK based one.  I shall speak at length when I get home from work later.  I am just about to start my 2nd WHOLE 30 and need a little support.  I'm happy to give support too!!

I'm doing food shopping on the way home and am focused on getting EXACTLY what I need.   Lost 10lbs on the first WHOLE 30 I did in Feb and would ideally like to do the same again on this next one. It's my birthday on 17 May so should almost be there by that time, if I get my bum into gear!!

Love to all.

Sue x

Hi Sue, and welcome to my UK thread.  I am carrying on until 12th May at least as we go away for a week on 13th. But it's in UK and self catering so I amy just carry on through my holiday. 

Good luck and keep posting. x

Welcome Sue,  looking forward to reading about your 2nd W30 journey. So far we have been informed that coconut aminos are sold in a health food shop in the Midlands. Any advance on this? I live in the Northwest. 

I am liking my new fitbit a lot. I've been so sedentary for years that it will take me months to get up to reasonable level of fitness again but I'm on the right path. I have started to log all my food which the fitbit app converts to calories and tells me how may calories I need to work off. I have been pleasantly surprised that daily cal total has been under 1800 every day. Since finishing W30 a week ago, I have reduced my protein and fat a bit because I was overdoing both but still stick to the basic template portions. I was slightly worried at start of W30 that I was consuming far too many calories but need not have worried at all. 

I don't know that I have tiger blood but am certainly enjoying more energy and a better mood as well. I was a right old grump before but things at work that used to stress me out don't affect me in the same way now. It's weird some days seeing my colleagues stressed out and me not. Definitely a NSV to hang onto. 

I wouldn't worry about coconut aminos Jen. To me it's just salty. Not worth the price and I think all but one brand is non compliant anyway. The brined chicken works well without it.

I have made another reintro today. I bought a bowl of salad in Sainsburys and it had sweetcorn in. So I am trying them. I don't think corn is so much of an issue with those of us in UK as it is in US. I want to be able to eat it as I like to make cornbread to go with chilli. 

I haven't got a fitbit as most of my exercise is swimming and aquafit and it doesn't work for those. And I prefer to eat high fat low carb so the meal template suits me. I am looking at trying a ketogenic diet where 80% of calories is made up of good fats, 15% protein and 5% carbs. It is supposed to shift fat fast and I have about 7 stone to lose. 

Lack of stress and more tolerance is so good - well done you. 

I wouldn't worry about coconut aminos Jen. To me it's just salty. Not worth the price and I think all but one brand is non compliant anyway. The brined chicken works well without it.

I have made another reintro today. I bought a bowl of salad in Sainsburys and it had sweetcorn in. So I am trying them. I don't think corn is so much of an issue with those of us in UK as it is in US. I want to be able to eat it as I like to make cornbread to go with chilli. 

I haven't got a fitbit as most of my exercise is swimming and aquafit and it doesn't work for those. And I prefer to eat high fat low carb so the meal template suits me. I am looking at trying a ketogenic diet where 80% of calories is made up of good fats, 15% protein and 5% carbs. It is supposed to shift fat fast and I have about 7 stone to lose. 

Lack of stress and more tolerance is so good - well done you. 

thanks for tip about coconut aminos.

Rapid weight loss is VERY tempting but is it sustainable?? Doesn't this risk yo yo dieting? Will you get enough nutrients from essential fats? I am continuing to lose weight albeit very slowly. As summer is coming (one can only hope) we have months of salad weather ahead of us. My 'diet' for foreseeable future will be soup, salad + protein, veg or salad + protein and I feel that for me, this can be sustained long term with a few tweaks to prevent boredom. I will reintro small amounts of sugar from time to time as I have stuff in my fridge like jars of cornichons and red peppers that I don't want to waste and I'll probably reintro gluten free grains because I do like the odd dry cracker. And I'm not going to beat myself up if I have some SWYPO food occasionally otherwise it will feel too restrictive. I will go off plan for certain occasions so will need to reintro most foods properly at some point, but not quite yet.

ps: I started taking magnesium supplement today, hoping it will get me to tiger blood level and improve my flaking nails. No change yet, got home from work early, thought about going for a walk but had a nap instead :P

I went on an online search for Kingfisher coconut milk yesterday. Sainsburys used to sell it and they still sell the cans of stir fry veggies - bamboo shoots, lotus palm etc. But no coconut milk. I found some on eBay but 6 cans would have cost me around £30!! Today in Tesco I bought 6 cans of Blue Dragon as it's reduced to £1 from £1.99 a can. It's not my favourite but it will have to do for now. I am going on a trek around the health food shops in Exeter to see what they can offer me. I have never tried Biona so may get some of that if one of the shops sells it. 

On reintro I want to try green lentils as one of our favourite meals is sausage and lentil casserole. The only other big thing will be cheese. I am going to try and stick with black coffee although there is one cafe where I really love their creamy cappuccino made with whole milk. Maybe a very occasional treat and hope I don't get dairy related acne from one cup. 

My aquafit class was good this morning - a new routine and a different instructor. My knee coped well after me totally killing it with an 80 minute nordic Walk on Tuesday. Yesterday was a day of Nurofen and resting the ruddy thing! 

M1 pork belly, tomatoes, cucumber, mayo

M2 chicken thighs, salad, mayo

M3 beef and mushroom curry with pan fried greens.

Day 49 - and I thought my face was looking slimmer in the mirror this morning :)

I have just made some chicken liver pate. I was looking at labels in Sainsburys and Tesco yesterday and was amazed at the number of ingredients. Mine is ghee, garlic, bacon, mushrooms and chicken livers. And it smells fab! That's breakfasts and lunches sorted for a few days at least. I may have to freeze some as £1 pack of livers has made a 1lb loaf tin of pate! 

M1 chicken thigh, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, mayo

M2 chicken thighs, salad, mayo

M3 liver, bacon and onions with mashed potato

Exercise - I have a tour this afternoon which will mean a gentle walk around Exeter with a small group of mixed nationality adults. About an hour. In the rain!

Biona coconut milk is disgusting, like grey sludge.

The waitrose cook's essentials organic one (in the blue tin) is the nicest compliant one I've found. Or Morrison's do pouches.

Thanks for that - I almost ordered 6 cans from amazon the other evening! I'll pop into Waitrose over the weekend. 

I use it with fruit and chia seeds - I know it's not totally compliant but it's not the sort of thing I ate before Whole30 so reckon I am not giving into a craving. As part of a meal.  I whip the whole can - liquid and solids - with my Bamix stick blender and it gives it a bit of a froth. It chills well in the fridge so a couple of tablespoons makes a nice light addition to a meal and a good fat portion. 

It's also nice mixed with mayo to give a runnier salad dressing - you can add various flavourings to make a ranch style dressing. 

For me today is Day 50 and I am feeling strong. My face is looking slimmer - tomorrow's photos may show otherwise though - and I am pretty sure my belly is reducing. It's not a part I can measure with a tape so I shall just have to rely on leggings and trousers fitting better. I know I can wear my waterproof jacket with ease now whereas 50 days ago I was worried that the zip would break. 

Have a good weekend and thanks for sticking with me. xx

Forgot to say I also make a cocoa drink with coconut milk. Put half coconut milk and half water in a pan, add organic cocoa powder or nibs and heat gently until the cocoa has melted into the milk. Pour into a mug, sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy. I have this late afternoon if I am hungry and supper is still several hours away. 

Day 50 was a good day. I seem to have found some energy and enthusiasm from somewhere and was busy for most of the day. Cleaning and cooking mainly plus a little sit in the sun with the cat on my lap while I finished reading my book. 

I cooked: celeriac and carrot soup; bolognese sauce, Lebanese style kofta. Yesterday I made chicken liver pate and slow cooker ghee. 

I ate:

M1 coconut milk, chia seeds, berries and chopped nuts

M2 celeriac and carrot soup with two poached eggs ( I love soup with eggs poached in it)

M3 bolognese sauce with sweet potato mash

Onwards, I can get in another twenty days before I go on holiday. 

Forgot to say I also make a cocoa drink with coconut milk. Put half coconut milk and half water in a pan, add organic cocoa powder or nibs and heat gently until the cocoa has melted into the milk. Pour into a mug, sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy. I have this late afternoon if I am hungry and supper is still several hours away.

Making hot chocolate with coconut milk is against the rules.

If you are hungry mid afternoon you should be making sure your meals fit the meal template. Your chia and fruit breakfast does not and probably explains your mid afternoon hunger.

• Moderators

Day 50 was a good day. I seem to have found some energy and enthusiasm from somewhere and was busy for most of the day. Cleaning and cooking mainly plus a little sit in the sun with the cat on my lap while I finished reading my book. 

I cooked: celeriac and carrot soup; bolognese sauce, Lebanese style kofta. Yesterday I made chicken liver pate and slow cooker ghee. 

I ate:

M1 coconut milk, chia seeds, berries and chopped nuts

M2 celeriac and carrot soup with two poached eggs ( I love soup with eggs poached in it)

M3 bolognese sauce with sweet potato mash

Onwards, I can get in another twenty days before I go on holiday.

Hey there... I found you here after replying to your Can I Have post...

Just a thought on your M1... have you seen the template? It calls for 1-2 palms of protein (your own palm's length x thickness x width) plus 1-3 cups of veg (not fruit) and added fat.

Nuts and seeds are to be limited due to their unbalanced omega 3/6 ratio... limited being a closed handful no more than ever other day...

Take a look at the meal template again (linked below) and try and make your meals match... if you're feeling great now, imagine how amazing you might feel if you eat according to the recommendations... huzzah!

Feeling VERY nauseous. Threw together a meal of beef mince + tons of veg which needed to be used up and made a kind of stew. Tried to thicken it with tapioca flour but didn't work so stirred in some almond meal. Tasted fine but almost immediately I felt ill.

could it be the tapioca flour?? Only used 1tbsn in whole pot (mixed with water) and only ate about 1/4 of pot. It is the only ingredient I hadn't tried before. Some of the veg were past their best but weren't going off, just limp.

• Moderators

It could be that but that's a very very small amount to cause such a drastic reaction... could be a timing issue that you're actually just coming down with something?

sorry to hear that tho, feeling pukey is never fun!

Feeling VERY nauseous. Threw together a meal of beef mince + tons of veg which needed to be used up and made a kind of stew. Tried to thicken it with tapioca flour but didn't work so stirred in some almond meal. Tasted fine but almost immediately I felt ill.

could it be the tapioca flour?? Only used 1tbsn in whole pot (mixed with water) and only ate about 1/4 of pot. It is the only ingredient I hadn't tried before. Some of the veg were past their best but weren't going off, just limp.

I hope you are feeling better today Jen. Sounds a it quick for it to be a reaction to the meal unless it's an allergy. Intolerance usually takes longer to manifest. 

I am better today, thanks. I havn't eaten much but havn't felt hungry. I was a bit reluctant to throw my stew out in case it wasn't the culprit  so cautiously tried a spoonful tonight, waited a bit and felt okay so had a few more spoonfuls and am still okay. No idea what made me feel so ill last night but it wasn't pleasant.  :(

Archived