Corned Beef

donnaa914

• Administrators

Totally depends on what the ingredients are; how it was cured.  Read the package that it came in (ask behind the deli counter if it's bulk, they'll have the original package with ingredients).  Watch for teensy weensy print saying "Contains less than 2% blah-de-blah".  If any of the blah-de-blah's are non compliant ingredients the entire product is non compliant.

• Moderators

It's totally worth making your own corned beef, that way you can control the quality of the meat and the rest of the ingredients. However, it generally takes at least 2-weeks lead time. But the year I did it with a grass fed brisket, everyone proclaimed it the best corned beef they'd ever had--and there were no leftovers. :(

I have been wondering the same thing, although I'm not Irish (that I know of) I do love corned beef. The recipe for making your own calls for sugar, so it wouldn't be compliant, right? Is the sugar necessary to "corn" the brisket, or can it be omitted?

If it helps I'm Irish, living in Ireland, and we don't actually eat cabbage & corned beef on St Patrick's Day. It's not even considered a National dish.

In fact back in the day beef was very expensive here & if we could get it it would have been eaten fresh. Most Irish got their first taste of beef when they arrived in the States where beef was more widely available & less expensive, and they treated it in the same way as they would a bacon/ham joint (ie. any joint that wasn't from the leg) - they brined it.

So don't feel bad aboout not eating that corned beef - nobody here will be either - in fact going on my food prep for this week I'll be eating a chicken & spinach curry!!

• 2 years later...
On 3/13/2016 at 9:30 AM, jmcbn said:

If it helps I'm Irish, living in Ireland, and we don't actually eat cabbage & corned beef on St Patrick's Day. It's not even considered a National dish.

In fact back in the day beef was very expensive here & if we could get it it would have been eaten fresh. Most Irish got their first taste of beef when they arrived in the States where beef was more widely available & less expensive, and they treated it in the same way as they would a bacon/ham joint (ie. any joint that wasn't from the leg) - they brined it.

So don't feel bad aboout not eating that corned beef - nobody here will be either - in fact going on my food prep for this week I'll be eating a chicken & spinach curry!!

I'm half Irish, half Jewish and I tell me friends I'm corned beef.  Corned Beef is an Irish American thing that came about when the Irish immigrants met the Jewish immigrants on the Lower East Side.  This is why I tell everyone to avoid any pub in Ireland that serves it. 

Archived