AACK! Dairy is not my friend!

jsunnen

Finished my Whole30 13 days ago. I had a trial on some rice and a few tortilla chips last weekend (not per planned reintroduction-family visit) with no ill effects and have been clean all this week. Decided to reintroduce dairy the recommended way Friday-milk, cheese and one scoop of ice cream throughout the day. I thought I was home free-no tummy troubles.

YIKES! Woke up yesterday with a nasty itchy rash across my chest. Soo...it's true. It can take a day or two for symptoms to manifest. Sigh.

Good luck to all on reintro!

I hear you! I have been clean since finishing ~3 weeks ago, and I made myself some beautiful sauteed vegetables in Kerrygold butter this weekend...and was almost immediately hunched over with stomach cramps. Haven't felt digestive discomfort like that in a looooong time.

Totally, totally not worth it! What a bummer.

Wow...at least you know to stay away from it. Smart to do the transition as written and it's exactly what I am planning on doing tomorrow. Rice will be first, dairy second. I suppose I should do glutten grains, but I honestly have no intention to eat bread, pasta or anything of the like. I haven't in over a year so why start now. I may do it just for the information.

Although I suffered from excema in high school and college I did not have any rashes prior to starting the whole30

I find this really interesting and can't help but wonder why you would now have this reaction. If this happens to me I can see my husband saying something like "if you wouldn't have cut it out for so long you probably wouldn't have had that reaction." sigh....

Curious what others have to say about it.....

Hope the rash gets better soon!

Hmmmm. Could there have been anything else that caused the rash? New laundry detergent or soap or lotion? Virus going around? If I got a symptom that wasn't there when eating dairy before, I might attempt a challenge at a another time. Of course if the same thing happens again, then it is very likely the dairy. Maybe your excema was dairy related?

I thought it was odd too...I'll test again after I'm clean for a few days and let you all know. Only other thing would be that it is some sort of virus but I don't have any other symptoms of illness? I'll check back within the week. Thanks!

I have read about this sort of reaction, so I don't think it's unusual. You have given your gut a break for 30 days, so that now you hear it loud and clear telling you it doesn't like that particular food. Why push it though? Milk is for calves who need lots of growth hormones (natural) in order to grow quickly, and then wean onto grass. Remember, cows have 4 stomachs. We have one. Be kind to your gut, as good health begins there! :)

This is only based on my own experience, but if you're like me, you may have a dairy allergy that used to come out as eczema and now is a rash.

I have an allergy to dairy protein that manifests in a red itchy rash around my lips. When I was young and drank milk all the time (it was the seventies, we ate what we were given and food allergies were bs), I had eczema on my arms, face, and legs. I don't do any dairy now and don't get the rash or the eczema.

If you go to an allergist, they do a food sensitivities test by sticking little samples up both of your arms. For me the dairy one turned bright red immediately. If you have health insurance, you may want to get a test to be sure. Good luck!

Archived