Junebugs 2016 - Pressing On!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! Feeling motivated to keep going and looking forward to hopefully being able to broaden some of my food options. Having lunch with a friend who is doing the cooking so hopefully it's only one "new" food group. Will report back after lunch.

I began 6/20, on Day 12 now. Included?

You're definitely welcome, but we all just finished whole30 and are staying together for reintroduction. You're more than welcome to stay! There are also groups for people starting at the same time you are under the join whole 30 tab

Thanks for starting this group, JTCarlson! I am reintroducing dairy today... we'll see how it goes. Only lost a few pounds, but I'm already a good weight for my height, so not too worried about it. NSV's include calmer moods, more even energy, healthy skin and nails, occasional Tiger Blood episodes, craving for healthy foods instead of junk, etc. I look forward to hearing everyone's results and success stories.

Good luck to you all during reintros! : )

Just went and got my bloodwork done - hopefully will have those results soon. By coincidence I had just had some blood work done in late May, so I thought it would be cool do have it redone post-W30. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Staggolee - you are totally welcome to stay, but we will probably be talking about off-plan foods as we reintroduce them. Just don't want it to make your own journey tougher for you!

I'm having a glass of wine tonight. :)

I began 6/20, on Day 12 now. Included?

Hi Staggolee, 

is that like that song? in the olden days. 

How are you doing so far? you say you started on June 20, I had to stop on June June 20. but i'm sticking with this group.  as they reintroduce and I decide whether to start a new 30 or pick up up... 

If I pick up, that still won't be considered a W30 ..  But i'll figure out a date to template again once I'm off the pain killers and able to walk a little better, 

right now i'm still at the mercy of my husband to fix breakfast and the rest of the day, I'm on my own

so today, 'm going to cook chicken wings in the oven and have a baked potato with Ghee and I think I have some spinach in the freezer..  

If I can do just one meal at a time to me, I'm still a Whole 30 person because my mind set is there. 

Hey everyone...Im here!! 

GREAT RESULTS, everyone!!  

As for my victories, I would have to say calmer moods, much much more energy, clearer thoughts (and a LONG honey-do list as a result!) clear skin and stronger healthy hair are at the top of my NSVs. The skin thing is a big deal for me, as I have had acne breakouts most of my adult life. I lost 3 lbs. this round (lost 13 during my first W30) and I am happy with this. Im a tall human and feel like I am at the right weight for my height. 

Reintroduced rice last night. Woke up at 3 am with a bad bad bad tummy ache....this happened last time too but my body adjusted after a while. SSoooooo I know my body doesnt like rice. But my mouth does! I made an awesome jerk chicken with broc, jasmine rice and fried plantains for dinner last night...plantains. OMG. the best thing ever when fried in coconut oil!!

What's next?  I cant remember who said they stay on plan for the most part but allow themselves the occasional coconut flour waffle or banana ice cream every now and then.  I, too, plan on trying this method but I know I cannot make any sort of paleo bread, cookies or paleo fudge,that sort of thing. Any way you wrap it, those are No Brakes items for me. My joy now comes from knowing I am fueling my body with healthy fats, veggies, meats!!  And plantains!!

Onward, people!! 

Kelli

Thanks for starting this!

I'm down 10#, have more steady energy if not tiger blood, my clothes fit better.

My 14 yo met me after work today with homemade lemonaid "Try this, I put too much sugar in it but it is good." Me, glaring at her: "Um, NO!" I will reintroduce cultured dairy on the 4th, oatmeal and rice on the 8th and maybe never the rest.

I decided what to do for my next challenge: planks! Simple, yet intense, no equipment needed, don't take a lot time. I held for a pathetic 21 seconds today. Anyone want to join me? I look forward to seeing how along I can hold one on August 1. I will continue to walk and do other things too but I wanted something to commit to doing every single day.

Thanks for starting this!

I'm down 10#, have more steady energy if not tiger blood, my clothes fit better.

My 14 yo met me after work today with homemade lemonaid "Try this, I put too much sugar in it but it is good." Me, glaring at her: "Um, NO!" I will reintroduce cultured dairy on the 4th, oatmeal and rice on the 8th and maybe never the rest.

I decided what to do for my next challenge: planks! Simple, yet intense, no equipment needed, don't take a lot time. I held for a pathetic 21 seconds today. Anyone want to join me? I look forward to seeing how along I can hold one on August 1. I will continue to walk and do other things too but I wanted something to commit to doing every single day.

Suzibeck, and now look at you, saying Pathetic Planks.  Planks are no joke..  they are one of the hardest body weight exercises to do . i'm not going to go with you on that one..  Can't do abs for a month or weights..   So, I bought Tai Cheng today from Amazon..  my rationale was, it;s slow, I"m hoping I don't get board. and to use what I've learned by doing W30 how each day does matter.   this is not a race.   

everything in life is a race and I guess that's one reason they call it the Rat Race..  I need to learn to enjoy each moment, each meal, each victory.     

Heck, just washing my body is a victory compared to me 7 days ago when someone said I was talking .. I forget the word. but it meant all over the place.  

sorry t hear about the rice, Kelli that is totally going to bum be out if I find out I can't eat rice.  I like sushi but the cooked kind. I don't do anything raw like that. .

If you had that Sugar-ade no telling when you're daughter would see you again.. you'd be moving so fast.... lol  

I've found even 100% Apple juice still taste like 100% sugar..   Not buying any more

and Plantains.. yes yes to natures little sweeties.. My girlfriend from Africa makes them the best. I think she uses Palm oil. but I have learned to just cut them and lay them on one of those cast iron Griddle pans and let them get the lines on them...  so so so good.. I hear ya on that one...  I ate some of hers left over and they were still delicious..  

Hi! Went to lunch at my friends' and had chicken and salad with quinoa and corn. So today is non-gluten grain (and grain-like seed) day! Was so delicious. They had cherry tomato/mozzarella balls/basil salad and I decided to skip the mozz and test the grains instead. Declined choc chip cookies and ice cream. So far, so good.

Oh - more info on me. I'm 46. I have PCOS. I have been on Metformin in the past, but not since pregnancy 10 years ago. It's helped manage cravings & other PCOS symptoms. These past few years have been quite stressful, and I'd been doing a lot of stress-eating and my sugar/chocolate cravings were through the roof. My weight bolted up about 15 lbs in just a few months, which is uncharacteristic for me - though my BP and cholesterol, I have always had to watch. A few months ago, before I heard of the Whole30, I re-started taking Metformin which has helped me in the past with my PCOS symptoms/cravings even though I have never been diabetic nor diagnosed with insulin resistance (PCOSers are very high risk for both). So I'd been taking Met for a month before starting the Whole30 and have continued taking it. In a way, I feel like Met has been sort of like "cheating" on the Whole30 challenge, but I do feel the need to disclose it here. I think the combination of getting through the first week of Whole 30, and the medicine, have made my cravings totally evaporate. However - now I have a new goal of hopefully being able to go OFF of Metformin (and maybe BP meds?) over the next several months, since changing my eating habits and keeping this new way of eating going. In the month after starting Met (before Whole 30) - I had already dropped 5 lbs., but was still having difficulty with cravings and out-of-control sugar consumption. In the past 30 days - as of this morning, down 10 more lbs., total of 15! So my goal is to keep going with re-introduction and work on this riding my own bike thing, not trying to lose weight, but trying to continue to eat healthily - AND to make time for exercise. And when I have my August bloodwork, I am hoping there is a difference in my cholesterol, a better CRP level, and all that stuff.

Right now I love that the BBQ pineapple from a veggie shish kabob (alongside salmon) tastes like dessert! And that monkey salad (cashews, dried unsweetened coconut, and sliced banana) is a huge treat! I don't think I have ever experienced that before.

Thanks everyone - I look forward to catching up with all of you & getting to know your stories!

Sherri

Kelli - I gotta get me some plantains - I always have them when we go out for Cuban food, but I've never tried to make them myself.

Suzibeck - I'll join you in the plank challenge! Perfect thing to do on my trip - no equipment needed, and not a lot of time either. Plus I really need to get my core in shape. Your story about your daughter and the lemonade made me laugh - my kids do that kind of thing all the time!

Sherri - I have PCOS too, and was diagnosed as prediabetic when I was pregnant (11 years ago). My blood sugar resolved once the kids were born, but my latest blood work showed that I was just shy of "pre-diabetes" again. I'm really interested to see what my levels are now!

Kelli, sorry rice didn't go well, that would make me very sad. I'll have to try fried plantains, they sound yummy!

Sherri, so glad your non-gluten grains appear good so far! I know I'm sensitive to corn so I'm not even going there. I need to find a good gluten and corn free tortilla like chip for eating salsa occasionally.

JT, happy to have you join me in the plank challenge, I think it is just what I need. I swear I have more energy already.

Ah yes, plantains. Let them ripen up pretty good -- you don't want to fry the green ones. Put about a 1/2 cup of coconut oil in a skillet at medium heat. Slice to about 1/2 inch thick and sprinkle with cinnamon and salt. Put them in the hot oil and let them fry until golden brown on one side, then turn them over and fry other side.  Place them on paper towels to drain. For my last batch, I let them cook extra long and they were super dark and became carmelized. Oh, they are so delicious. 

Suzibeck, if you can find plantain chips, try them as an alternate to corn chips. They arent sweet and give you the crunch like a chip. I eat them with guac alot and make plantain nachos. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful July 4th weekend! Any fun plans?  

Thanks Kelli, how do I know when my plantain is nicely ripe? Do they spotted, like bananas?

No big plans here. The 14 yo wants to go to the mall, hubby will drop her and a friend off and go drive for Uber while they shop. I'm taking the 8 yo to see Zootopia at the library where she will get free popcorn. I think I'll be ok not eating popcorn. We might go see fireworks Monday, not sure.

I started with legumes today.  I had a bunch of hummus with zuchinni to dip.  I dont expect any reaction but gonna wait at least a day before introducing dairy which is the thing I really missed.  somebody here said they had wine already tonight?  I was thinking about that but then I wouldnt know if any side effects would be wine or hummus.  but I am really looking forward to the wine day!  :)

Personally, I would have liked to lose more weight, but I know thats not the true reason I did this.  I did it to "get clean" and I believe I've succeeded in that.  In fact I believe we all have!  I actually feel like I could keep eating like this forever with an occasional cheese or occasional grain.  We shall see!

Onward!

So, last night I went out to dinner with my friend, she of the recent diagnosis, and one glass of wine turned into 3.....and although I tried to stick with on-plan foods, the salad we shared had cotija cheese on it and some kind of creamy dressing. It wasn't much, so I just went ahead and ate it. Aaaannnnndddd about 2 hours later.......we got trouble! (trouble! trouble!) Right here in Colon City! That starts with a "T", which rhymes with "D", which stands for.......I'll let you figure out what it stands for. ;) (Sorry for the song reference - my kids are currently doing The Music Man with their theater group, so we have the soundtrack on CONSTANTLY). And I must say that I was really surprised by the strength and rapidity with which my body registered its displeasure! I don't know if it was the wine or the dairy, but I DO know that I will be back on-plan for the next few days, even with the holiday, because, man that did NOT feel good.

So my advice from this experience: TAKE IT SLOW. You might find that even small amounts of foods have a big effect on you.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

I'm right there with you JTCarlson! My one glass of wine with friends turned into 3! And this morning I feel like I got hit by a truck! Horrible headache and feeling overall just really bad and bloated. Do you think it's the wine itself, or because I had too much? I didn't eat anything off plan, the wine was the only new thing. Not loving today...

Just got my blood work back! You guys!!! Here are the stats:

component                         pre              post

cholesterol                          210             173

cholesterol/HDL                  3.1              3.5

cholesterol/non-HDL          143             123

HDL                                     67               50

LDL                                     121              109

Triglyceride                          108             69

Most everything is down, especially cholesterol and triglycerides!!! This makes me so happy!

Hi June Buggers!! So happy we are here together to continue sharing our experiences!!

Wow JT that blood work is awesome!! Sorry you had a bad reaction to the foods you ate last night but think you have the right idea... few days to reset then take it slow. 

So far I haven't eaten any foods that are not compliant, just have been eating them in other forms (green smoothie, and frozen mango popsicle). Going to watch fireworks tonight with family and contemplating making some popcorn in coconut oil to snack on. 

Happy Saturday All!!

I've been absent s few days but here it goes.  Lost 12 pounds!  I had some sushi on Friday so I had rice and soy sauce.  I know we are supposed to do one at a time but the rice was minimal.  I seemed to have know problem with that.  I plan to stay mostly compliant because I feel great.  I know on the 4th I will have an adult beverage as I have to work straight through tomorrow and then I have 2 days off.

I am so happy to see so many of us here!!!!

JT, love the reference to The Music Man! My kids were in it a few years ago so I understand living and breathing the music thing. We have done Seuissical too. They aren't in anything this year because of our uncertainty about staying here. I kind of miss it.

Plantains become dark when ripe -- sort of like bananas but they take longer (I've found) to get there. I usually cant wait so I fry them when they get a couple spots and are just getting to a be brownish color. They are starchier than bananas and not as sweet so I guess the process takes longer.

Sorry Earoti and JT about the wine turning into 3 glasses and the resulting issues!! Learning to ride our own bikes sometimes takes some practice...so wear your bike helmet in case you crash!!  I'd forgotten this reintroduction can be challenging when eating combinations of food groups too...I ate some honey yesterday and then some coconut milk ice cream which had agave in it. Then a beer (wheat). Need to focus on eating a food group, then back to W30 for two days to see how it effects me...not eat a food group (my first reintro was RICE) then eat honey/sugar/wheat the following days! Ugh. 

After all that, I felt the pre-migraine aura/zig zagging lose of vision thing happening. So I went away to a dark room and relaxed and it never really came on. I dont know how that happened but I am thankful. Havent had one in several years!!

Happy July 3rd, June Buggers!!

Kelli

Archived