Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

I started on the 5th. Been feeling horrible for the last 24 hours, but I'm looking forward to feeling great again soon.

I'm finding I'm extra hungry despite having decent portions. But I'm going to try increasing breakfast portions and see if it helps. I have never been a breakfast person and always reached for bread or porridge when I do eat it. Eggs for breakfast is a big challenge! 

I've taken my coffee black for years now, long suspected milk allergies although I struggle to cut out cheese. So that one is easy on me. 

I'm just waiting for sinus and back pain to pass. But I often get that a couple of days into my monthly cycle anyway, so it could be that not whole 30. 

I've been wanting to do this for around 3 years, only just finding the inner and outer resources to make it happen. 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too started on September 5.  I'm a teacher and the fall semester has just started up, so it's a very busy time for me, but I decided to do this anyway.  It will get easier as the month goes along.  This is my first Whole30, but I built up to it gradually over my summer break.  So I'm not doing any drastic cutting out of anything, more refining.  Cooking so much was quite a challenge, so I'm glad that I practiced and explored that during the summer when I had so much free time.  I'm happy to be doing this.  And I send my best wishes and positive energy to all of you.

8 hours ago, Mistyfire said:

I've decided to be entirely fruit-free for this first week just to make sure I really get the sugar dragon out of my system.  Tonight I sautéed up a big pan of green beans. Nice change from my usual steamed. While I'm not wishing the summer away, having cooler temperatures to begin roasting vegs is something I'm really looking forward to. 

I should do this- no fruit for a week- for the same reasons. Can't quite do it! Late summer fruit is soo delicious.  Decided to only have fruit with meals, rather than as a snack. Will see how that goes. 

First 2 days went well. Luckily, I'm not dealing with the carb "fog" or headaches. I certainly did on my first W30 though, they did go away after a couple of days. But that was tough. HANG IN THERE people!

Most of my weekday breakfasts and lunches are portable. Always looking for good ideas for things to make for my huge lunch bag. 

Today's meals:

Pre workout snack -chia seeds in coconut milk (can) and half banana. ( I know this is on the edge of acceptability, but no boiled eggs in fridge and it's easily digested at 5:00am)

Breakfast-curried minced turkey bites (delicious NomNom Paleo recipe) with leftover zucchini noodles, steamed Swiss chard, grated carrots/radishes. Oil/lemon dressing

Lunch-Salmon Patties (from W30 book, slightly enhanced), brussel sprout hash, salad greens. Mayo. Half banana. 

Dinner-my husband may be prepping this tonight. He's not doing W30, but he is on side. We will see. Have a baggie with cooked chicken in fridge as a back up. 

5 hours ago, KJK said:

I started on the 5th. Been feeling horrible for the last 24 hours, but I'm looking forward to feeling great again soon.

I'm finding I'm extra hungry despite having decent portions. But I'm going to try increasing breakfast portions and see if it helps. I have never been a breakfast person and always reached for bread or porridge when I do eat it. Eggs for breakfast is a big challenge! 

I've taken my coffee black for years now, long suspected milk allergies although I struggle to cut out cheese. So that one is easy on me. 

I'm just waiting for sinus and back pain to pass. But I often get that a couple of days into my monthly cycle anyway, so it could be that not whole 30. 

I've been wanting to do this for around 3 years, only just finding the inner and outer resources to make it happen. 

Do make sure you have enough fat - thumb sizes portion each meal. Mayo and avocado are my standbys. Hang in there - this is so worth doing!

Hello DAY 3!!

I hope everyone is doing well. My plan for the day: Breakfast: chicken, avocado, cucumber Lunch: tuna, dill, & mayo wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves and LOTS of raw veggies, Dinner: Salad with chicken, jicama, almonds, a few small pieces of date, mixed greens and dressing made with coconut oil, squeeze of orange & lime.

Drink a lot of water today everyone! Several of yesterday's posts were reminders that we feel better when we do. I drank over 80 oz. yesterday and felt really great in the evening. I usually spend some time in the evening fighting cravings. Especially cravings for sweets! The past two nights I have not! I have to distract myself though because I don't want to spend too much time thinking, "wow, I don't even want a snack..." because I might get the idea into my head and want one!

Good luck today! :)

Hello all, 

I started 9/5 and I'm on day 3. I have a partner who eats healthy but non whole 30 compliant (like Protein Cookies and in my current sugar withdrawal, my little sugar dragon is ready to roar). Since yesterday I have crazy head aches and feel draggy and this morning felt nauseous after coffee. All of which I read was normal. 

Out of the Whole 30 I'm looking to maybe get rid of some old, horrible eating habits, learn new ways to eat and shed some weight from depression that I'm coming out of. 

Looking forward to getting to know all of you! 

6 hours ago, KJK said:

What are you having for meal 1? Make sure you are getting enough fat in each meal, as that makes all the difference!

I'm in the same boat as you re: back pain. Right now it is headaches that are really bad. This too will pass! 

6 hours ago, KJK said:

What are you having for meal 1? Make sure you are getting enough fat in each meal, as that makes all the difference!

I'm in the same boat as you re: back pain. Right now it is headaches that are really bad. This too will pass! 

Day 2 (September 6, 2016)

Meal 1: Frittata, clementine, 1/2 avocado (0800)

Meal 2: Traditional Protein salad in pepper boats, with a sprinkle of slivered almonds. Carrots & fresh green beans dipped in ranch mayo. (1300-1400 )

Meal 3: Roasted Chicken breast w. roasted red pepper sauce, pan fried potatoes and coleslaw w. cashews.  (1800)

(feedback welcomed)
More deets over at: Compliant & Canadian

IMG_0857[1].JPG

4 hours ago, FranE said:

I should do this- no fruit for a week- for the same reasons. Can't quite do it! Late summer fruit is soo delicious.  Decided to only have fruit with meals, rather than as a snack. Will see how that goes. 

I was nervous about relying too much on fruit so decided to let the Whole30 be my guide. The one week meal plan from the book to the rescue! They tell me when to eat fruit so I don't even have to think about it. Hint... it is always at a meal, either breakfast or lunch and never as a snack! :D I used to rely on fruit as a snack so much so it has been nice to go on autopilot. 

11 hours ago, SoCoLaur said:

This is my 3rd Whole30, and both times I found that for the first week or so I was ALWAYS hungry. Crazy hungry. But, around the second week things completely changed, and I was hardly ever hungry outside of regular meals.  I'm not sure the reason, but it might have something to do with my body switching to fat adaptation? I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

As for coffee and missing cream, have you tried Nutpods? They are compliant and really quite good.  I have to go to Whole Foods to get them, but I've also seen them on Amazon...

Happy day 2 everyone!

I just ordered some from Amazon, thanks for the tip! I too felt the same the first week, super hungry, I just make sure I eat right away in the morning and don't skimp on the fat, that seems to help.

6 hours ago, FranE said:

Great idea, this is my third round and I have felt better myself when I cut out fruit, keeps sugar cravings under control!

Headachy, foggy, on my second cup of coffee (rare for me).  Have a benefits plan auditor in right now, and I've gone for the candy box twice, but stopped myself both times.  It's interesting what's become a habit.  Stress = going to purchasing dept for the candy.  I've told them that if they see me, and I'm not there for work related stuff, tell me to GTHO!

And I'm zooming toward kill all the things.  I've had to walk away from a couple of people today.  Not because they're being jerks, but because they're panicking over the stupidest things, and a throat punch seems to be the right answer.  LOL! 

Wow!  Talk about a bitchy post!!!  Sorry about that.

Enjoying reading all of the posts so far! I'm waiting to start my 4th round until next week after some food allergy/intolerance testing I'm doing mid-week with my ND. My mom is gearing up to do her first round with me, too :)!

I've been feeling pretty ill and having so many reactions to the foods I've been eating leading up to/ for my testing... so there's definitely something there!! I'm hoping for some concrete answers. I'm also curious as to whether there are other foods that could be problematic for me that i wouldn't think to 'eliminate' because there are Whole30 or paleo. For example, onions tend to upset my stomach and give me cramping and gas. We shall see what turns up on the results :).

I'm looking forward to getting back to normal, feeling healthy and confident, sleeping better, and performing better at the gym. I'll be jumping in soon!

9 hours ago, Riya said:

Headachy, foggy, on my second cup of coffee (rare for me).  Have a benefits plan auditor in right now, and I've gone for the candy box twice, but stopped myself both times.  It's interesting what's become a habit.  Stress = going to purchasing dept for the candy.  I've told them that if they see me, and I'm not there for work related stuff, tell me to GTHO!

And I'm zooming toward kill all the things.  I've had to walk away from a couple of people today.  Not because they're being jerks, but because they're panicking over the stupidest things, and a throat punch seems to be the right answer.  LOL! 

Wow!  Talk about a bitchy post!!!  Sorry about that.

Riya, omg I burst out laughing reading your post...that is hilarious and im sure a few of us can relate! I know I can for sure!! Hang in there!

2 hours ago, Stephanie12345 said:

Hi everybody.  Question. Is it ok to eat sweet potato in a salad at lunch and then eat sweet potatoes again with chicken for dinner the same day? I want to make sure I'm not over doing the potatoes.

At least one fist sized serving of a starchy veg is recommended daily. If you work out or just plain need it, more is ok.  Just don't let it push other vegetables off your plate.  A lot of folks have reported that a serving at night improves their sleep. 

Day 3 down. I knew I wanted something "good" for dinner on this humid evening. The dinner I planned didn't appeal. So I stopped at the store and got a salmon fillet. Thunderstorm tonight, hot and muggy so no outdoor grilling or running the oven for me. Did it pan grilled for the first time.  Highly recommend!  

12 minutes ago, Mistyfire said:

At least one fist sized serving of a starchy veg is recommended daily. If you work out or just plain need it, more is ok.  Just don't let it push other vegetables off your plate.  A lot of folks have reported that a serving at night improves their sleep. 

Yes I completely agree with the one serving at night, I think it has helped me sleep!

1 hour ago, samnkelli said:

Riya, omg I burst out laughing reading your post...that is hilarious and im sure a few of us can relate! I know I can for sure!! Hang in there!

Glad you got a kick out of it.  :)  It really was a pretty stupid day, so glad it's bedtime!

22 hours ago, SoCoLaur said:

This is my 3rd Whole30, and both times I found that for the first week or so I was ALWAYS hungry. Crazy hungry. But, around the second week things completely changed, and I was hardly ever hungry outside of regular meals.  I'm not sure the reason, but it might have something to do with my body switching to fat adaptation? I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I'm on my third round as well, and yes! On round 2 I just accepted that the 1st week was Hungry Week ... decided I didn't need to fight with myself on top of all the other challenges.... and I ate top-of-the-template meals. It made everything so much easier. I then learned that, for me, two things are key: 1) eat a maximum-template breakfast, 2) get at least 7 hours of sleep.  If I find myself feeling empty after those two things are in place, I'll make sure I have something starchy & fatty at the next meal, like potato with ghee.

Archived