Last post isn't working--thoughts on wine?

emily123

Day 23 and feeling GREAT! Was a little worried early on but am definitely seeing the results promised and enjoying eating healthfully; honestly, there aren't really any old foods that even get me super excited anymore, and my cravings have completely gone away.

All except one. 

I am DEARLY missing having a glass of wine now and then, after a long day or out with friends. I've become a total hermit during the program, which has definitely had it's upsides (not racking up tabs at the bars, and my apartment is SO CLEAN). I've done the whole seltzer/kombucha/replacing the ritual thing, but I really miss being able to go out and have fun with my friends and it JUST is not the same. 

So my question is, how bad exactly would it be if I had like, a few glasses of wine as I wind down the program here? It's made from grapes, right? (Kidding (kind of)).

At this point I feel like I've gotten through the hard part, experienced the magic of the program, I'm a true believer and will recommend it highly to friends. What would be the downside to tailoring it just a little to fit my lifestyle towards the end?

Reintroduce wine like you would any other food. But stay off it until the end of your whole30.

also take time to evaluate why you feel like you need wine. There may be some underlying issues (like you feel you need it to unwind after a busy day, or you feel left out of social gatherings, or whatever) and see if there's another way to fill that need without the wine. One of my favorite unloading techniques is journaling and doodling. I'm not necessarily good at it, but if I've had a hard day, it helps me get to the root of why it was so hard. I personally don't like wine or other alcoholic beverages (except Malibu which I've said goodbye to a few years ago and hard ciders, the drier the better and even then it's very rare for me to have one). Most of my friends know I don't typically drink and I don't feel pressured to (externally or internally)

i honestly don't think you need to be a hermit during the whole30 but the no alcohol is a rule and if you choose to consume, you're not really a part of w30 anymore. 

Hahah youre so lucky you weren't a big drinker to start! I'm a 24 year old living in new york city with a very "work hard play hard" kind of job, so unfortunately drinking was a huugge part of my lifestyle and the hardest to give up by far. Think the weird looks from my colleages at client dinners etc have been the worst part of the process. I know I definitely COULD do the next 7 days, just wondering what the point is when I already got all the benefits I wanted. Anyone else w a similar experience able to chime in?

• Moderators

The fact that you have now started two topics on the forum devoted to how much you miss wine suggests that you are far from food freedom. When you ask about drinking a little wine in the last days of your Whole30, even as a joke, I hear you saying that you are a slave to wine and miss your master. I don't think you have achieved a full reset of your body and mind. I wish you wanted to be free. 

I haven't read anyone else's comments yet, but here's what I have to say. I'm in the exact same boat! It doesn't help that my boyfriend has a few beers every night. I love sipping wine while I make dinner, and I miss that so much. But here's what I keep telling myself: IT'S ONLY 30 DAYS. Just go for it. The wine will be there, waiting for you at the finish line.

I think I personally have an issue with alcohol - it's a huge reason I decided to do Whole30 - and after only a week I'm reaping the benefits. I sleep better, I go to bed at a decent time, I wake up early and go to the gym. It's been eye-opening and I can't imagine going back to drinking as much as I used to. Only for special occasions like being out with friends and holidays.

You can do this! I know I'm trying my absolute best. It's only 30 days!!!

@nicolemalena THANK YOU! Was feeling like I was crazy and the judgy comments and the exclusive, holier-than-thou attitude I've been feeling A LOT from this community throughout was certainly not helping.

@Tom Denham I mentioned very explicitly in my post that I'm absolutely capable of completing the program. Perhaps there was some confusion; I was hoping for a little bit of help determining what the pros and cons of integrating alcohol into my diet would be, rather than an attempt at psychoanalyzing me and a snide comment. As I said, social drinking is a big part of my career and it has been A CHALLENGE to time and again explain why I'm not drinking to clients, colleagues, friends, etc. But I've DONE IT, and can absolutely continue to do it. I'm not a slave to anything, thanks for your concern haha. As a moderator, you should be aware that responses like this make me want to leave the program more, not less. 

Honestly the tone of some people and cult-like aspect of this group is 99% of the reason I won't be doing this again. 

I'm currently on my 3rd Whole30. It's the end of the fiscal year in my line of work, there is a lot of travel and hosting of guests around the office over the next couple of weeks, and that includes socializing. While I'd love to have a glass of wine over dinner, that's not in my plans for another 13 days. No matter what your line of work, if you're choosing to not drink (which is the case if you're committed to Whole30), it's no one's business but your own. I've gone out and socialized several times already, and have plans for more over the next two weeks. My go-to is seltzer water with lime and/or olives. It looks like a cocktail, but I'm staying compliant. If someone asks, I just say I'm not drinking tonight. Again, it's no one's business but my own. Yes, it's hard to be surrounded by others, but as good as I feel now, I know I'll feel even better over the next few weeks. Only you can decide if you want to remain committed to the program or not, and only you will know what the results of that are.

18 hours ago, emily123 said:

So my question is, how bad exactly would it be if I had like, a few glasses of wine as I wind down the program here? It's made from grapes, right? (Kidding (kind of)).

At this point I feel like I've gotten through the hard part, experienced the magic of the program, I'm a true believer and will recommend it highly to friends. What would be the downside to tailoring it just a little to fit my lifestyle towards the end?

it would be as bad as you chose to let it be.  but if you start drinking wine before day 30 then it wouldn't be a W30.  as elsewhere said, you can reintroduce it in the normal way alongside other things, after you've finished, but if you drink before the end, then it's a start over (if you want it to be)

there's no problem tailoring W30, once you've finished - that's what everyone else does.  but saying, 'just a little'?  it's like my wife who's doing '95% of the Whole 30, because she's cut out carbs' !!!

if you can't see why, then you haven't fully understood the whole concept.  but then again, nobody is forcing you to do anything you don't want to do.  it's entirely your choice.

I felt the same way you do...day 23 today and I'm surprised at how easy it's been, even going out.  We used to sit at the bar for our meals, now we sit IN the restaurant so we don't "tempt" ourselves and don't go to bars, etc.  I am committed to seeing this through this time and with the right mindset you can do it...the other 2 times I tried I went in with the thought that "I'm going to start this, but I don't think I can not have wine, martini, etc. for 30 days and if I can't make it, oh well, no biggy, I knew I couldn't do it".  This time I started with the mindset that I am going to do this, no excuses, it's only 30 days and I want to reset my body and start clean...think positive, you are almost done, don't mess it up now, you've come too far to not make it!

@emily123 As a fellow newbie (on day 24), I can totally relate to your feelings about some of the tone in the forum, and from the moderators. It has been a disappointment for me. The same people who accuse others of being a "slave" to wine/coffee/whatever are singing the praises of putting "dump ranch" on every.single.thing that they eat. Pot, meet kettle. 

So, sending you positive vibes as you wind down the program. I'll be raising a bold glass of wine on Day 31. Cheers to you! 

• Moderators
On 9/14/2016 at 9:48 AM, emily123 said:

@Tom Denham I mentioned very explicitly in my post that I'm absolutely capable of completing the program. Perhaps there was some confusion; I was hoping for a little bit of help determining what the pros and cons of integrating alcohol into my diet would be, rather than an attempt at psychoanalyzing me and a snide comment. As I said, social drinking is a big part of my career and it has been A CHALLENGE to time and again explain why I'm not drinking to clients, colleagues, friends, etc. But I've DONE IT, and can absolutely continue to do it. I'm not a slave to anything, thanks for your concern haha. As a moderator, you should be aware that responses like this make me want to leave the program more, not less. 

Honestly the tone of some people and cult-like aspect of this group is 99% of the reason I won't be doing this again. 

Foods fall into two categories. 1) The ones that make you more healthy. 2) The ones that make you less healthy.

Alcohol makes you less healthy. Period. It is not a question of too much being a problem. Any alcohol degrades your health. See It Starts With Food for the details. 

You may decide you are willing to sacrifice your health "a little" to drink with friends, to get a buzz, to maintain the way of life that you have established. That really is okay. Choosing to have a drink even when it degrades your health doesn't make you an alcoholic or foolish, it just means you are willing to trade a little of your health for something that brings you pleasure. 

But the rules of the Whole30 are clear. There is no room for a little alcohol during a Whole30.

What I am saying to you is not casual chit chat. I made my living as a psychotherapist and ran an alcohol/drug intervention program years ago. I am taking the things you are saying seriously. I want to see you take yourself, your health, and your Whole30 experience more seriously. 

I am not worried about you walking away because I confronted you. I am worried about you just going through the motions and getting to the end of 30 days without giving yourself a real chance to make something of this time. 

Archived