Meal preps

Mrs_T

Hi there,

1st time poster and member here, about to start my 2nd full round (about 6 over all with failures) and due to time restraints i am looking to prepare and cook up on a sunday to help with mornings and meal1 ....

1) How long will cooked diced bacon last in the fridge if cooked up on a Sunday

2) How long will sweet potato fried up last in the fridge (wanting to make sweet potato and apple hash)

Thanks, round 2 starts Wednesday 26th October 2016 :)

Hey there & welcome to the forums :)

How long cooked foods will last will depend a lot on how you store them, and the temperature of your fridge...

At a guess I'd say both will last around 5 days, but that's going on the fact that I meal prep on a Sunday & always have enough food to last until Friday evening - Saturday & Sunday I generally eat meals cooked from scratch as I have more time, or eat out with friends... 

Here's a tip for uncooked bacon.  Take it immediately out of the sealed plastic when you bring it into the house.  Store all fresh bacon in white freezer paper. It will last twice as long that way.  It doesn't matter if it has that slide bar on top, once opened, plastic causes bacon to spoil quickly.

We do this with all bacon and meats (beef roasts, pork chops, everything). If we're freezing it, it's all in freezer paper to avoid the plastic freezer burn.  

I agree with jmcbn, 5 days is about the limit for leftovers.   

I made a huge batch of mashed sweet potatoes for the week on Sunday, and realized yesterday that I would not make it through the whole batch by the end of the week. Decided to put half in the freezer. No idea if it will still taste good once I defrost it, but we shall see... I'm happy to see that the consensus is five days - I thought it would be less. 

Thanks for all the responses,

When i head back to work in a week or so i need to have things ready to go and reheat :)

This  works well for me, as i can scramble eggs, add in already cooked bacon and add smashed avocado, and for a change i can have the hash with scrambled egg too :)

Archived