Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

My heartburn was worse this morning, which I found both discouraging and oddly hopeful. I think it was the chimichurri sauce, which has lemon in it. It's discouraging, if citrus is a no-no, because I like to cook with it. It helps in avoiding food boredom. BUT... if there are things I do that make the heartburn worse, then surely there are also things I can do that will make it better. I was just reading a list of foods that cause heartburn and was dismayed to see onion and garlic near the top of the list - right after citrus and tomato. I think I can learn to manage without citrus. I don't really miss tomato. But if I have to do without onion and garlic, that will be much harder.

@mhemm Congrats on making it through all those challenges! You are *rocking* this! :D

@higs How are you doing? Still with us?

@PattiMcK I'm with you on wondering if my clothes are *truly* a little looser or whether I'm just imagining it. Here's hoping that we both get confirmation soon that we are *not* imagining it! :)

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a terrible week for me at work, but when I got home last night with monster cramps and tears in my eyes my baby boy (10) asked me if it was ok if he went downstairs or if I needed someone to talk to (while I was making my supper).  All I could do was smile and thank God for empathetic kiddos.:wub:

@PattiMcK & @Jessica NG - I thought my jeans went on really easily yesterday, too.  I usually don't have to wear a belt with that pair and they were falling down all day!  (even my underwear is falling down!:wacko:)  I was feeling good about this until I got home and checked the size - they are a size bigger than I thought and then this morning I tried on a size smaller that I haven't worn before and wonder if the old jeans are just stretched out (relaxed).:unsure: Not sure why I feel like I have to strip away every victory by reminding myself of where I'm NOT!!!(instead of focusing on how far I've come!)

I ordered the Kettle & Fire Bone Broth (as recommended by Melissa Joulwan)

COMMERCIAL BONE BROTH

If you cannot deal with all of the above, or simply run out and need broth in a hurry, these brands are high-quality and taste really good.

Kettle and Fire (my favorite!)

US Wellness Meats Chicken Gelatin

Bare Bones Broth

Bonafide Provisions

Pacific Foods Bone Broth — available at regular grocery stores!

I found it on Amazon and am looking forward to adding this to my arsenal of quick meal idea options.

My family is planning a meal at HuHot this weekend and I am excited for:

1) Someone else preparing my food:D

2) Control over what is on my plate but still an enjoyable restaurant atmosphere

How about a quick Friday tip?  What is your go-to when you're pressed for time and have only a few things in the fridge & freezer?  I used to fall back on cheese & crackers or something like that...:rolleyes:

@Jessica NG I'm here, lurking a bit!  I haven't fully jumped in yet because I haven't officially started a Whole30 yet - I'm gearing up for a reset starting probably this weekend, and will do a full one in a few weeks after company leaves town.

@mhemm, I have never tried commercial bone broth - but I looooove making it at home.  It is so satisfying!  Here's how I do it:

Get the biggest stock pot you can find.

Fill it with all the bones you can get: 2-3 pounds worth.  I use leftover bones from meals which I save in the freezer, and whenever I can get them, I'll add a bunch of chicken feet or trotters (pigs feet!) and/or a giant beef knucklebone.

Roughly chop carrots, celery, cut an onion into quarters (you can leave the skin on) and a few garlic cloves.  If you have other leftover veggies ends like the green leaves from leeks, use those too!  Throw in some peppercorns, salt and about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, which helps leech the good minerals from the bones.  Fill with water so that it covers the bones by an inch or two.

Once it has come to a boil, let it simmer on the stove on low.  I simmer for 24 hours, sometimes more.  You'll probably have to add some water along the way, but don't add too much because you want to let the broth really condense into goodness.

After 24 hours, I strain it with a regular kitchen sieve, throw out the veggies and keep the bones!  I reuse the bones several times.  Whenever I re-use bones, I try to also include new fresh bones so that there's always a good supply of collagen.  Chicken feet and pigs feet go a long way in that regard.

After it's cooled, there will be a layer of fat on top.  I keep it.  Some people skim it off, but I think it's divine and sooo good for you!

The broth will be jiggly and gelatinous.  More amazing goodness.  I put it into jars, freeze some, and keep a jar or two in the fridge since it will get devoured right away.  In the morning, I'll put the broth in a coffee mug, add some water to dilute it a bit, zap it in the microwave, and sip amazing yummy tasty nutrients with breakfast.  Usually a giant stock pot batch will last me a month.  I always look forward to bone broth cooking weekend because the house smells so good and it's so satisfying.

Also:  fear not the chicken's feet!  They are full of collagen and will make your broth fabulous!!

I will admit, I've been a bit obsessive about this - I bought all three books and pre-ordered the cookbook before I even started!  :D

Day 12 Ya'all!!!B)

Each day I look at the number and wonder how I've made it this far & then wonder how I'm going to make it all the way to 30 and beyond?!?!  #Conflicted

Hey All!

I know you prob don't want this group to get too big but I hope you don't mind me pitching in every now and again!  I love the awesome support and accountability you're giving each other!  This is my first Whole30 (started November 14th so I'm on day 19 -woo!).  Like many I've seen on here I'm planning to take a brief departure over Christmas that do another (at least) 30 days in January.  After day 30 of this round though I plan to do the slow roll introduction and only eat foods over the holidays that are REALLY worth it.  My family is totally on board and I think I'm recruiting a few for my January Whole30.

@Jessica NG  I had my physical last week on day 10.  I told the staff about what I was doing and they were really great about it.  I covered my eyes when I stepped on the scale and they even snapped a pic for me (was my instagram of the day!).  Also, I haven't really had heartburn but I've been kinda burpy the past few days, especially in the evening.  Otherwise I feel great so I haven't been worrying about it too much.  Days have been busier and I've been having dinner withing 1:30 of bed time so that might partially be responsible.

@MizRik  A while back in this thread you'd asked about meal planning.  Fearing that would be the hardes part for me I signed up for Real Plans right away and I've liked it a lot.  I'm not one who likes to scan through cook books and websites and come up with novel foods.  If up to me I probably would have eating grilled chicken and brocolli the first 3 days and given up!  It's kept things interesting and I've tried recipes I never would have picked for myself and enjoyed them.  Not for everyone but it's working for me!

Have a fantastic Friday everyone!

Sarah

Evidence of me 'hiding' from the scale at the doc's office...

2016-11-23 11.10.04-1.jpg

@mhemm nice work on surviving the potluck!! Those are hard! I'm glad the article I shared helped you too!! I am the same as you with discrediting my small victories that may or may not really be there. I think I do it because I don't want to be hugely disappointed in the end. 

But you know what..... WE GOT THIS!!! We are totally gonna rock it and love our results at the end! 

I have made it to day 12!!! The past few days have been hard. I have sorta had an "I'm over it" feeling. Haven't really planned meals great and have questioned my madness in doing this. 

BUT I'm still here and I'm still going!! 

@Sarah_MT How did you go about signing up for/purchasing Real Plans? I *think* I looked at the tab on the Whole30 site and became so completely confused by what I saw there that I gave up on it. Please do keep commenting! I don't think our group is in any danger of growing too big at this point. I love your photo of you on the scale with your eyes covered! :D

@MizRik I'm glad you are HERE! Keep on keeping on!

@higs Thanks for posting your broth recipe. I didn't realize that one could reuse the bones from stock making. Where do you get your chicken feet and pigs feet? I'd like to use them, but felt intimidated about finding them.

@mhemm Don't worry about beyond Whole30 now. Stay focused on today! :D

@AliceV Any results for your blood draw? I'm still crossing my fingers for you!

@Jessica NG  I sure do hope that you can get to the bottom of this heartburn issue. It's got to be so distracting to have that running in the background while you're doing so well.

@mhemm  I never knew you could buy bone broth! But I DID know that @higs is an expert in this area! Do you feel like the first 12 days went fast? I'm surprised that we are this far in.  It's feeling pretty easy for me now, but I'm traveling from the 8th-13th so that will be the real test, and I'll bet I won't be so perky about it all then!

@Sarah_MT Welcome to the group, girl! Here's the thing, I have a Doctor appointment on the 16th, and I just figured I would get my weight. But YOU'VE upped the ante! And now I have no excuses and maybe I'll take a picture that day, too. Glad to have you aboard!

As far as what to do when time is short, tonight I made a batch of hard boiled eggs (baked in the shell, actually). And last night I made that gorgeous batch of mayo, so egg salad is an easy go-to!

Report on my restaurant lunch today: When I got there i learned there was a preselected menu, so I thought it would be a nightmare. It all worked out though! I had salad, filet mignon (NICE!), steamed green beans, no bisque, no mashed potatoes, no dessert. It was surprisingly easy.

So, did anyone notice how many views our thread is getting? That means there are a lot of folks following along with us. Anyone is welcome to join in the fun here!       I'm so grateful to be a part of such an amazing group :wub:

On December 1, 2016 at 8:21 AM, CCLaymon said:

@Jessica NG let me know if you find a good chicken cutting video! I've been wanting to learn that, too.

@higs YAAAYYYYY!!!  So glad to have you here! Gang, Higs is an adventurous eater and is a great encourager, and I always learn so much from her!

@Laurie I think I see you, too, so come back for a reunion so we can love on you :D

I'm planning to go straight through the holidays so I am not feeling so blah on January 1.

Today is my first restaurant day on this Whole 30, which always give me some anxiety. It's only Panera, but that's not such a flexible place to eat, either. I've done my research, I have a plan A, B, and C (all of which include bringing my own salad dressing) and if they can't accommodate any of those, I'll just eat when I get home. I'm feeling too good to get derailed now!

Have a great day!

Photo of last night's dinner. I was pleased with the meal and happy to have leftovers for this evening. Managed to have lunch today with a friend in between work appointments and made a great compliant restaurant choice. Hardest thing for me is still the evenings. I'm not getting the physiological cravings for sugar and carbs but I'm still feeling the habit driven cravings. Ate some hazelnuts and unsulfured dried apricots so that I wouldn't fall face first into some Kind bars. Is anyone else having this challenge?

image.jpg

Just now, Change30 said:

Photo of last night's dinner. I was pleased with the meal and happy to have leftovers for this evening. Managed to have lunch today with a friend in between work appointments and made a great compliant restaurant choice. Hardest thing for me is still the evenings. I'm not getting the physiological cravings for sugar and carbs but I'm still feeling the habit driven cravings. Ate some hazelnuts and unsulfured dried apricots so that I wouldn't fall face first into some Kind bars. Is anyone else having this challenge?

image.jpg

Am still sorting how to work these posts. Not sure how I ended up attaching this to CC Laymon's post from yesterday. Bear with me all, I'll figure it out. (I hope)  ; )

21 minutes ago, Change30 said:

Hardest thing for me is still the evenings. I'm not getting the physiological cravings for sugar and carbs but I'm still feeling the habit driven cravings. Ate some hazelnuts and unsulfured dried apricots so that I wouldn't fall face first into some Kind bars. Is anyone else having this challenge?

Yes. Totally. I'd forgotten in the past that I used to drink a La Croix or other flavored fizzy beverage when I'd get the late-night munchies. I've also been eating hazelnuts and pecans though this week, and trying to mix them with fat/protein (prosciutto) so that it's not just straight nuts. Good for you though for realizing that it's not actually cravings for sugar or carbs, but rather a habit-driven behavior. I do the same thing.

I think that I'd read a post or two from moderators of the boards here that Melissa Hartwig recommends rather than replacing one habit for another (like, instead of having a nightly glass of wine, choosing a different compliant beverage) to totally replacing the behavior with a healthier option. So, like, if we are recognizing that we are having a habit-driven craving, instead of reaching for the nuts or whatever, we should try to drink a cup of hot tea or something. That, for me, is where the fizzy beverages were coming in. I'd recognize my night-time desire to munch and instead try to turn it into a night-time desire to get to my recommended amount of fluids for the day. Or sometimes, if I'm being super self-analytical and I can figure out that's what it is, I'll try walking in place for several minutes until the craving goes away. Not as effective for me as drinking something, but still worth a try.

That's a great idea. I especially like the suggestion about drinking tea. I think part of what drives the habit craving is the accumulation of daily life stressors that build up over the course of the day and make themselves felt most at night. Drinking tea is kind of soothing so I'll try something caffeine free. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Change30 & @NoMoreCrunchyCravings My sugar dragon had been calming down, getting sleepy even, but boy is it roaring tonight. With a vengeance! I'm longing for a huge glass of milk, or a larabar (think goodness I told my husband to hide them!), or dark chocolate - or something, ANYTHING, sweet. Aaagh!

I think I will go brew some tea and drink it. I need something entirely opposite to sweet things. When my sugar dragon roars, it roars for hours at a time. I could *wish* it stopped after 3 or 5 minutes. Hah!

I think the problem is that I ran out of mayonnaise and so I didn't get my usual protein salad for lunch, which I love, and which is *so great* for satiety. I had a broccoli scramble instead, and was still hungry after I'd eaten it.

Dinner was roast turkey pieces, which I sprinkled with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder before I put them in the oven. Then, after they'd cooked for an hour, I drizzled a little clarified butter over them and let them cook another 20 minutes. The turkey was totally delicious.

I made the veggie melange from page 280 of Whole30: green beans, onion, mushrooms, red pepper. It was yummy also.

But I'm still hungry. If I had protein salad available *right now* I would totally dive on it. So maybe I am hungry after all. Maybe I should go make some mayonnaise this instant and *have* some protein salad. Hmmm.

I found out today that my in-laws are having the meal at their house on Dec 11 catered. :(

This makes things harder, because it is looking like I will be able to eat fewer things than if it were potluck. I asked MIL for the menu, which she gave me. She also gave me the phone number for the caterer, so that I can get details, which I will need to do.

But I think I won't be able to eat the meat, because it will be "demi-glace." I think that means it will be glazed with a roux-based sauce, that is: a sauce with flour at its base. The salad will have croutons in it, and I'm not sure that picking them out is good enough to allow me to eat it. The oven-roasted vegetables should be okay. The dessert is going to be bittersweet chocolate mousse, and I ADORE chocolate; I adore chocolate *mousse* even more. Aaaagh! Can we say, "temptation!"

I'm almost tempted to stay home and send my husband and kids without me. Except I love my in-laws and really want to see them. Aaaaaah!

:: weeps into her hands ::

Okay. Time to go brew that tea. I have a week to figure this out. But... gah!

14 minutes ago, Jessica NG said:

But I'm still hungry. If I had protein salad available *right now* I would totally dive on it. So maybe I am hungry after all. Maybe I should go make some mayonnaise this instant and *have* some protein salad. Hmmm.

Maybe you are still hungry, or maybe it's the accumulation of the day's stresses, but either way, having a mini meal of protein salad (protein/fat) is a healthier option than a Lara bar, glass of milk, or huge hunk of chocolate. For similar reasoning, I also made a new batch of mayo tonight at 8:45pm because I just couldn't wait for my day off on Monday. :D

On 2016-11-30 at 1:09 PM, Jessica NG said:

Wow! Today is day 10! So far, it's flying by for me. In spite of the heartburn, which I still have, but which is mild, so bearable.

I am feeling much better today after a good night's sleep. I just did some meal planning for dinners. (I've got the breakfasts and lunches pretty well covered. I adore my scrambled or fried eggs for breakfast, with a side of fruit, and sometimes a cup of my bone broth. For lunch I adore protein salad - chicken or tuna or salmon or egg - made with my homemade mayonnaise and varying veggies.)

Tonight we're going to finish up the homemade soup with root vegetables. I'll be cooking a little extra meat to add to it.

Tomorrow will be ground beef with chimichurri sauce, with a side of broccoli, onion, mushrooms, and zucchini.

Friday will be turkey thighs and wings, with a side of green beans, red pepper, onion, and mushrooms.

I'm realizing that all the times I've eaten paleo for a while and then slipped off the wagon, with a little rice sliding in, or a little pasta, the main reason has been food boredom. It hasn't been because I suddenly develop a craving for grains. I just get so tired of eating the *same* things all the time.

This Whole30, because of the commitment aspect, is pushing me to do better meal planning. The fact that I've made a commitment and I want very much to keep that commitment, was what made me realize that ALWAYS when I've tried to be better at meal planning (I knew it was a weakness of mine), I tried to plan for 7 or 5 days at a time. And planning ahead that far just DOES NOT work for me. It never has.

So I'm doing 3 days at a time with this Whole30, and - so far - that is working.

I can imagine that after I've been steadily planning 3 days at a time, I may have gained enough skill at it to do 4. But I've got to take this meal planning thing in baby steps. :D

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Glad you introduced yourself. Welcome!

@MizRik I love your calendar!

@PattiMcK It's great to hear that you're feeling more energetic and sleeping more soundly.

@AliceV I loved reading your update. Thank you for sharing it! I think I'm going to borrow some of your meals! The beet soup and the big salad sounded yummy! Have you gotten the results of your blood draw yet? My fingers are crossed for you.

Hi team Whole30 friends!!

So glad to hear about some of you questioning your sanity in doing this, having cravings, and being challenged with the prep! ME TOO! 

oh my, just want to get home from work and have dinner served without having to prepare/ reheat etc.... Today was one of my hardest days yet. I warned my husband when I got home, that I couldn't talk to him right now, asI felt like biting someone's head off. Hangry fits this situation perfectly....

regarding my blood work....my fasting sugar was better, just over 5. My bad cholesterol was UP, and this really upset me. I feel like my efforts to be healthy are failing. The LDL level rose in like just4 months.?   My other results to do with level of inflammation in my body, and rheumatoid factor were not in yet. Most likely will prob need to go in and talk to him. (Doc). 

Anyhow, I plan on cooking some stuff on the weekend and I feel scared to eat eggs now! Could 22 eggs, in 12 days have caused this rise? Ugh! Confused!

I too was drinking herbal teas tonight, although I did allow myself to have a banana with almond butter just because. Of course you all understand. Thanks guys for providing me with a place to vent.  

@mhemmwhat a sensitive boy you have....that's awesome. 

All right here we go - day 13!  I'm up and working on my grocery list (spreadsheet!:lol:) going through recipes I marked in the Whole30 book.  I've been trying to make this much more complicated than it really is - I forgot about mashed cauliflower!:o I am not a gourmet chef - like AT ALL - I used to make tator tot casserole on a weekly basis...  So I've marked the beef brisket, chicken hash, ribs with tangy bbq(?!?!? - sounds too good to be compliant), butternut squash soup, cauliflower mash, cauliflower rice, green beans mushrooms onions peppers, roasted spaghetti squash (huge maybe - i don't think I've loved this in the past), and sweet potato soup.  I'm not a huge soup fan - but the creamier the better and it's my first winter back in Wisconsin after living in Missouri for 5 years and I can't stay warm!!!:lol:  I also will probably pick up a carton of bone broth to play with until my order comes with the really good stuff. 

I haven't really had time to reflect on how I'm feeling this week.  Work has been crazy stressful and I've been missing my family  - so I'm crabby & tired, but maybe not all because of my body's healing.  I haven't even run since Thanksgiving morning.  I did make an appointment to meet with a trainer at my gym next Thursday and start back up on a weight lifting program to add to my cardio.  My main reflection at this point is, honestly, just a feeling of this dragging on and on...  It's like an Advent calendar that you'll never get to the 21...  I'm scared, too - this is just coming to me as I type - I'm anxious about day 31.  I was on a cleansing program for awhile, and the first day after a successful 2-day (fasting) cleanse I ate ALL THE THINGS.  So, that was successful...:rolleyes:  So, I'm worried I'm going to obsess and not stop - which is not a bad thing, but for a bad reason.  I'm sure as I focus on the day to day, my anxiety will calm the heck down.  Anyone else feeling stuck in neutral?!?

NSV -- People at work are telling me I look fabulous!!!  They always have been super sweet, but already questions about how many sizes down, etc!  They're noticing!  They thought I was crazy to do this - well yeah - especially this time of year, but now they seem to be warming up to it, asking more questions about what exactly I'm doing instead of razzing me for "not eating anything good"!B)

Happy weekend, everyone!  Two weeks in!!!:D

It's bright and early on day #13. Still feeling kinda bored with this whole thing and annoyed that I let my lifestyle and eating habits get to a place where I would even need the whole30. 'Tis life however and I know that so far it's working.  

I wish that I had kept an actual journal of everything that I have experienced. I actually bought one, but have yet to write anything in it.  I'm thinking I could start today and with going back through my Instagram feed I could write up a pretty good summary of everything this far. 

Last night my family had tacos for dinner. I myself had a "deconstructed" taco. Essentially just meat, romain lettuce, tomatoes and some salsa mixed in a bowl. I actually love that little meal. I also do a version that's like a deconstructed hamburger. Almost identicle but it's meat, lettuce, tomatoes, mustard and diced pickles. Sounds weird I know, but I love it! And calling it a deconstructed version of something rather than a salad makes it feel more like a sturdy meal. LOL. 

I'm rambling this morning! Time for me to go. 

Hope your day is amazing! Keep up the good work!! 

Rikki 

• Whole30 Certified Coach
On 12/2/2016 at 10:44 AM, mhemm said:

How about a quick Friday tip?  What is your go-to when you're pressed for time and have only a few things in the fridge & freezer?  I used to fall back on cheese & crackers or something like that...:rolleyes:

Egg salad.  I'm a child of the 80s.  Egg yolks, mayo... verboten!  So maybe thats why I love it so much - I lived without it for 30 years because it was "too high in cholesterol".  Hubs and I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge as well as mayo.  3 eggs, big old blob of mayo and I'm a happy camper :) Breakfast this AM was all random leftovers - leftover roasted broccoli, left over roasted potatoes, 1 raw red pepper topped with egg salad.   

@AliceV How was your VLDL?

Remember when the docs used to look at cholesterol levels as just ONE number? High was bad, and low was good.

Then they realized that high HDL was good, while high LDL was bad.

Since then, they've gone a step farther. LDL is also divided into different types, some of which are GOOD and some of which are bad. It's the VLDLs that are bad. So if your LDL has gone up, but your VLDLs have gone down or have remained the same, you may be okay.

Congrats on the improved fasting sugar!

The tea last night was a mistake, although it was not the tea that was the problem. I always put milk in my tea pre-Whole30, so I didn't think I would like plain tea. I decided to grate some fresh ginger root and pour the boiling water over the ginger and the tea bag.

I was right in thinking that it would taste good. It did. I liked it. BUT it resulted in an immediate increase in my heartburn. Ouch! The one benefit was that I no longer had the desire to eat anything at all.

The heartburn was still bad in the morning, although not as bad as it had been the night before. It slowly got better through the day, and improved a lot while I was at the gym lifting weights. It always improves while I'm swimming, too. It's interesting that exercise helps.

Now that I've had dinner, it is acting up again. At least I am beginning to identify foods that bring the heartburn. Citrus really is a problem.

I cooked pork chops and spicy apples from page 258 of Whole30, and they were totally delicious.

BUT...I didn't follow the recipe exactly.

I had already tried that method of cooking pork chops, and found that the chops took longer than specified in the oven to cook fully. Also, I didn't think I wanted the pork flavor blended into the apples, the way it would if I used the same pan. And I wanted chunky apples, rather than applesauce.

So I cut the apples into 16 slices each and cooked them first. (Onions, apples, apple cider vinegar, ground allspice, ground ginger, nutmeg.) When it came time to add the apple cider vinegar, I felt extreme doubt: really? an entire half cup? really? I couldn't do it, so I cut it by a third, and I'm glad I did. However, it looked like more liquid was necessary. I thought there was some apple juice in the fridge, but there wasn't. So I used orange juice instead. Clearly the OJ was not a good thing for my stomach. And I need not have added so much liquid. Perhaps the liquid is necessary if you are going to stick the mixture in the food processor. But for my chunky version, about half the liquid would do. I'll remember that for the next time, because it really is delicious. Oh, I cut the onion amount in half also. I wanted a more appley taste, a less oniony taste.

When I seared the pork chops, I not only sprinkled them with salt and pepper first, but I also sprinkled them with some onion powder and some garlic powder. This time, the 15 minutes in the oven after the pan searing was enough. I think these chops were thinner than the other ones and also better thawed. ;)

In spite of today's "adventures," I was happier than I've been all week.

I'm a novelist, and the revisions to the current novel had not been going well at all, which contributed to my gloom. Today I figured out the bit that had stymied me, which sent my mood soaring.

@littleg I adore egg salad made with homemade mayo!

@MizRik I'm borrowing your "deconstructed" term. I'm totally with you in thinking that "deconstructed burger" or "deconstructed nachos" (ground beef, guac, no chips, no cheese) sounds so much better than other ways of describing them. Thank you!

@mhemm The green beans-mushrooms-onions-pepper melange is awesome. We had it last night! :D Your NSVs sound wonderful, and I am super glad to hear about your co-workers' compliments. I was really glad when you posted your photos a few days ago, because I realized later that the change I could see in your face was also happening in my face. I doubt I would have seen it without first seeing your photos. So thank you for that.

@AliceV Keep venting anytime you need to! I think most of us will need to vent from time to time as we do this. I know I do!

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings I think you were right about my state last night: I really was hungry, but I was also super stressed, and the combo produced monster cravings. I did not give in to them, however! :D

Btw, I have figured out what to do about the dinner with my in-laws on Dec 11. I will bring a mini-meal. I was worried that I needed to bring enough to share, and the idea of cooking for 12 was utterly daunting and unappealing. My husband said, "No. You really don't have to do that. People will understand that you had to bring something for yourself, since you can't eat most of the catered dishes." I realized he was right. I still have to decide what exactly I will bring, but I am confident I can do that. Phew!

@Jessica NG  Awesome news about the novel! Great thinking from your husband on the meal. I'm so glad it's going to work out for you. One tip for the future: orange and apple juice have a lot of sugar so you probably want to avoid that. Unless you squeezed the orange, which would be fine!

I got very inspired by everyone's cooking, so I got to the grocery store and I'm ready to make Whole30 Chili and butternut squash soup. I can't wait to try it out and share the results!

I've been feeling a little anxious about my upcoming trip on Thursday. I'm going to try and plan well, but navigating two plane trips and 6 days of restaurant food and hotels is not easy. I have done it before, so I know I can do it again.

Hope everyone had a compliant Day 13!

Archived