Ten pounds of organic carrots...

Sharon Simpson Thumann

Carrot cauliflower soup! I have a batch of this going almost all the time and it freezes well. It will use up 2 lbs of your carrots. To make it paleo, use ghee instead of butter and skip the sour cream for serving. Instead of cayenne pepper, I use a teaspoon of freshly minced ginger for flavor.

http://cookingwhims.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/carrot-and-cauliflower-soup/

Last night I pureed about 3lbs of carrots and 1lb sweet potatoes, added some chicken stock, coconut cream, onions, celery, roasted red peppers, ginger, salt, pepper and cayenne. Let it simmer for an hour, it was pretty darn tasty! Oh, since I'm not on A Whole30 at the moment, I added a small dollop of sour cream. Next time I am going to add bacon crumbles. My bacon is currently curing in the bottom drawer of the fridge.

Last night I pureed about 3lbs of carrots and 1lb sweet potatoes, added some chicken stock, coconut cream, onions, celery, roasted red peppers, ginger, salt, pepper and cayenne. Let it simmer for an hour, it was pretty darn tasty! Oh, since I'm not on A Whole30 at the moment, I added a small dollop of sour cream. Next time I am going to add bacon crumbles. My bacon is currently curing in the bottom drawer of the fridge.

Sharon, how long are you going to cure your pork belly? I have done it for 24 hours both times, but I keep seeing 7 days and can't figure out why.

You can cure it 3-7 days. I first saw it on FoodTV on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, where a guy made bacon for his restaurant and he cured it for 7 days and most recipes I found also cured for 7 days. I think that this time I am going to let it cure for 3 days and see how it turns out, I am also going to smoke it in the oven with some wood chips for a few hours. Traditionally bacon was cured for at least 7 days, or that is my understanding. I'm really interested in curing different meats now but I am chicken. LOL

You can cure it 3-7 days. I first saw it on FoodTV on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, where a guy made bacon for his restaurant and he cured it for 7 days and most recipes I found also cured for 7 days. I think that this time I am going to let it cure for 3 days and see how it turns out, I am also going to smoke it in the oven with some wood chips for a few hours. Traditionally bacon was cured for at least 7 days, or that is my understanding. I'm really interested in curing different meats now but I am chicken. LOL

I saw that episode. :) Do you know why you would cure it for that long? As in what is the benefit?

I do not know, honestly... I am not science-y nor have I put much research into the why.. sowwy.

I found this article interesting. :) Maybe you will too. :)

http://www.oregonliv...e-your-own.html

That is a GREAT article. It makes me love bacon even more. I loved the line "making your own bacon is the gateway drug to curing other meats". I'm going to let it cure for 7 days and flip it every day like they do AND I am going to add some dried sage to the spice mixture because it sounds really good!

• 3 weeks later...

I add shredded carrots to lots of stuff. All sorts of egg dishes: scrambled, egg salad, omelettes, soups, stews,meatloaf, meatballs. I've shredded carrots and made a carrot salad with mayo, a few raisins, onions, seasonings. I've also eaten shredded carrots with oil and vinegar.

• 3 weeks later...

I use carrots in most of my tomato based dishes. I also find that they are mild enough that when I need to "stretch" ground beef, they are a good addition. Just cook them a bit in fat before adding onions and beef, and they have that "chunky" feeling that my partner likes.

My recipe is similar... I roast carrot and whatever veggie I want with it (onion, garlic, cauliflower, parsnip, turnip, sweet potato or squash, etc) in the oven @ 350 until cooked.

Then I put 1/2 cup chicken broth in the Vitamix, add some spices and the cooked veg, and zoom on high. Presto, soup!

Carrot Ginger Soup! I had a kitchen manager tell me once that it was like liquid sunshine in a bowl. The recipe really depends on how big of a batch you want and for me, how big my pot was!

Carrots, scrubbed and sliced, no need to peel

1 sweet potato, scrubbed and sliced, peel on

onion, skinned and sliced

a big knob of fresh ginger sliced up

Fill pot with water, veggie stock or chicken stock to cover veg. Bring to a boil, skim any scum, partially cover and cook till carrots and potatoes are soft. Puree in batches in a food processor, or use an immersion blender. Blend till smooth. Thin to soup consistency with broth and coconut milk (whole 30 compliant) or with milk and cream (so NOT compliant but how I made it in the pub). Season to taste with salt and white pepper, adding more dry ginger if you need more kick. IF you want to get fancy smacy, dice up a couple carrots into small dice, steam or boil till soft, drain and stir into soup for an internal garnish and top with a few dill fronds. Yum!!

Carrot Ginger Soup! I had a kitchen manager tell me once that it was like liquid sunshine in a bowl. The recipe really depends on how big of a batch you want and for me, how big my pot was!

Carrots, scrubbed and sliced, no need to peel

1 sweet potato, scrubbed and sliced, peel on

onion, skinned and sliced

a big knob of fresh ginger sliced up

Fill pot with water, veggie stock or chicken stock to cover veg. Bring to a boil, skim any scum, partially cover and cook till carrots and potatoes are soft. Puree in batches in a food processor, or use an immersion blender. Blend till smooth. Thin to soup consistency with broth and coconut milk (whole 30 compliant) or with milk and cream (so NOT compliant but how I made it in the pub). Season to taste with salt and white pepper, adding more dry ginger if you need more kick. IF you want to get fancy smacy, dice up a couple carrots into small dice, steam or boil till soft, drain and stir into soup for an internal gYarnish and top with a few dill fronds. Yum!!

Thanks! I stood up after reading this and went to make the soup! Delicious. :)

Archived