Still Want to Kill All The Things

Hello.  So, we're on day 16 and yet, I am still very much in a kill all the things mood.  I am not handling anything well right now.  Small inconveniences are putting me in a rage and I can't take it.  This probably has nothing to do with the Whole 30, I don't really know.  What I do know is that in the past when I've stopped eating gluten grains I tend to feel emotionally much more even.  In the past, traffic wouldn't bother me and minor annoyances rolled off my back.  Now though?  F*ck that.  Everything makes me rage.

This is very not good.  I am an employer and have 14 employees and a lot of customers.  I literally cannot afford to be so snappy and irritated.  I started working out last week in hopes it would help, but it hasn't helped at all.  If anything, the added soreness and the awkwardness of navigating a new gym/trainer have made things worse.  I even got a massage last week, which was nice while it lasted, but didn't have any ongoing effect.  Does anyone out there have any advice?  Please don't tell me to take a bath (I hate baths).  

Is it even possible to correct these feelings with food/diet/lifestyle?  As I said, I thought that gluten contributed to it, but I have been very careful and I don't think I've even encountered any trace amounts of gluten by accident.  Could it be something else I'm eating?  I just don't know.  I am really frustrated with life right now.  

Today has been pretty typical:

6:00 - Wake Up
6:05 - Leave for the gym
7:05 - Arrive at gym and work out (Chicago traffic at its finest right there)
8:00 - Breakfast of homemade hash - Chicken sausage, green and red peppers, potatoes, onion (from the Whole 30 email), Coffee 
10:00 - Banana
1:30 - Lunch of homemade beef stew
5:30 - Snack of olives, proschutto
6:30 - Dinner of Tomato-braised turkey meatballs with zucchini and curried cauliflower
7:30 - Maybe have a snack of strawberries if I'm hungry

As far water goes, I had 2 bottles (16.9 oz) while working out and a third this morning, plus 12 oz of coffee so far today.  

On days I don't work out I have breakfast at home around 7:00.  I haven't gotten into a pre-workout snack.  Honestly, it's difficult for me to eat as much as the template says already.  My workouts are tough, but not crazy, I'm quite out of shape so everything feels really hard right now.  I honestly can't wrap my head around eating right before I work out, doing that would pretty much guarantee I would throw up.  

8 minutes ago, ultrarunnergirl said:

Please post the last few days of your meals, water intake, sleep so we can help troubleshoot.

Also, are you drinking caffeine? It's a well known culprit in feeling short-tempered.

How long would caffeine cause you to feel short tempered?  I was getting annoyed this morning before I even got to the gym, so my last caffeine was around 1:00 (at the latest) the day before.  

11 hours ago, creativenikki said:

6:00 - Wake Up
6:05 - Leave for the gym
7:05 - Arrive at gym and work out (Chicago traffic at its finest right there)

Eating a hard boiled egg at 6 and working out at 7 is plenty of time to get that pre-workout moving through your system. Maybe start small with a few bites of chicken and a few nuts.

An egg might not be exactly what I look forward to at 4.20am, but it's not really a hardship and I chase it down with coffee :)  (I'll admit I did have a few eggy burps during the hideous core workout we did this morning, but usually there's no problems).

I agree with @GoJo09 re the preWO (although personally I find nuts hard to digest and eat them rarely so I'd probably skip those)

The thing I'd add is that you're skipping the more important postWO meal - a few bites of a lean protein (roast chicken, egg whites, tuna in spring water etc) and optional starchy carb. I eat mine as soon as I am done (before I even shower), then eat breakfast an hr or so later. This would negate the need for that mid morning banana which we'd recommend against, and would allow better for recovery & repair of muscles.

There's a lot of snacking there in general, so I'd suggest generally increasing the size of your meals - specifically fat which you don't really mention bar the olives - you really want to avoid fruit on it's own as it will impact blood sugar and could be the reason for your short temper.

I guess I thought eating breakfast as soon as I was dressed would negate the need for a post workout snack.  I can't eat any sooner after I work out than I am; I'm not going to go to my shop as a sweaty mess just to eat and if I leave the gym (personal trainer) he probably won't let me come back to use his showers.  

I'm honestly just really pissed off right now.  I don't feel good emotionally at all.  I'm stressed and don't know how to handle that.  And, worst of all, I'm gaining weight.  I know weight loss isn't the only point but I haven't had any NSVs this time and, honestly, weight loss is all I care about.  I feel out of control.  I'm doing a Whole 30, I'm enrolled in weight watchers for even more accountability and I'm seeing a personal trainer twice a week in addition to my regular activity (I own a furniture company so moving furniture is just part of my daily life).  What the hell else can I even be doing to lose this f*ing weight?  I am 5'6" and 189.4 pounds.  I have a ton to lose.  

I'm just angry and feel like giving up.  I can maintain this size eating cheeseburgers and drinking wine every night.  

Ok, breathe.

And no swearing on the forums please - we're here trying to help.

Focusing on weight loss is a stressor. Not sleeping is a stressor (not sure if this is an issue for you). Trying to combine Whole30 & WW is an uphill battle - yep, another stressor. How often are you training on top of the two sessions with your PT each week? Cos if you're over training that's also a stressor. Stress keeps cortisol levels sky high. High cortisol results in excess body fat. See where I'm going here....?

And honestly, you can't eat 5 or 6 bites of chicken out of a zippy or something in the changing rooms before you shower then eat when you're dressed? Because combining postWO and meal one is counter productive as the fat in your template meal will slow down absorption of the protein & as a result slow down recovery, putting more stress on your body.

Have you ever thought that the healthy movement incorporated in your daily routine via your work might be enough, at least for now? I think right now your focus needs to be on ways to alleviate the stress...

6 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Ok, breathe.

And no swearing on the forums please - we're here trying to help.

Focusing on weight loss is a stressor. Not sleeping is a stressor (not sure if this is an issue for you). Trying to combine Whole30 & WW is an uphill battle - yep, another stressor. How often are you training on top of the two sessions with your PT each week? Cos if you're over training that's also a stressor. Stress keeps cortisol levels sky high. High cortisol results in excess body fat. See where I'm going here....?

And honestly, you can't eat 5 or 6 bites of chicken out of a zippy or something in the changing rooms before you shower then eat when you're dressed? Because combining postWO and meal one is counter productive as the fat in your template meal will slow down absorption of the protein & as a result slow down recovery, putting more stress on your body.

Have you ever thought that the healthy movement incorporated in your daily routine via your work might be enough, at least for now? I think right now your focus needs to be on ways to alleviate the stress...

Sorry about the cursing, if I can figure out how to edit my post I will. :(  I'm just incredibly frustrated.  

I didn't realize I needed no fat in the post WO snack.  I'll I have to figure something out.  I just have way too much on my plate right now, I guess.  My sleep is fine, at least 7.5 hours a night and it's decent.  Not the best, but not the worst.  I do prioritize sleep, at least.  

Stress is a huge problem for me, but I have no idea how to combat it.  I used to unwind with wine, but that probably isn't the best way and isn't conducive to weight loss anyway.  I hate baths.  I already get monthly massages, but that's all I can afford.  I have my own business, I have a 15 month old baby and, really, that's enough.  I am so fed up with how I look though and I cannot avoid every mirror and camera (especially with the 15 month old who is adorable).  

I don't do any formal exercise outside of my PT.  Just walking (I commute via train, so lots of walking) and moving things around at the shop.  I just do random stuff like installing kitchen cabinets, assembling lockers, etc.  Whatever needs to be done at work, that's what I do.  

Also, as for the snacking, I don't usually snack before lunch, but that happened yesterday.  The pre-dinner snack is because I have to go at least 6 hours between lunch and dinner.  That's just how my schedule works out with the business/commuting/baby/whatever.  If I could make dinner faster, I would, but I only get 2 hours with my baby each night and I want to spend it with her as much as I can.  Some days she wants to play alone (so I'll cook) and others she wants me, so I play with her.  What else can I do, honestly?  

@creativenikki - it's ok - I've edited it for you. Sorted.

Ok, so the 6hr stint can be long, but I honestly believe if you ate a postWO snack of protein and then breakfast, followed by lunch that you'd be able to make it through. You're hungry because your body needs the food.

I understand your need to be with your daughter - and of course you'd choose time with her over time in the kitchen. Are you batch cooking on weekends? I'm a single mum, with two boys who do extra activities after school, I work full time & study, plus I moderate on here and I'd be lost without batch cooking cos on week days batch cooking means I leave something out of the freezer in the morning & I just need to heat it in the evening. For breakfasts & lunches I pack a meal from the fridge. I'll cook a few different types of protein, a couple of different (basic) veg dishes & then add a fat - olives, mayo, avocado, bacon, whatever..... Keep it simple. Super simple.

As for stress, have you tried meditation? Ten mins in the evening before you sleep, just to help you unwind & really focus in on how your body feels. There are lots of apps out there to talk you through it, and most will at least have a free trial.

Food-wise you're making huge steps. Sleep is good. But you need to focus on re-charging those batteries, and changing your mind set to something a little more positive.

You're a mum, you've created a little human. You're an employer & helping people keep food on their tables. You're actually providing those tables!! Go easy on yourself.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, creativenikki said:

How long would caffeine cause you to feel short tempered?  I was getting annoyed this morning before I even got to the gym, so my last caffeine was around 1:00 (at the latest) the day before.  

It probably takes 2 or more days for it to totally leave your system.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, creativenikki said:

OMG, I am in this real estate class all day today.  It includes "free lunch".  I brought my own chicken salad, so I wasn't planning on eating anything here.  But, of course it is pizza and it looks and smells awesome.  I may not make it...

You can do it! That pizza isn't going to make you feel better or get you any closer to your goals. Hang in there, think of your little girl and how you want to be healthy to be around for her when she's grown and has her own kids.

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

You can do it! That pizza isn't going to make you feel better or get you any closer to your goals. Hang in there, think of your little girl and how you want to be healthy to be around for her when she's grown and has her own kids.

Well, I did the best I could.  I didn't have any sort of utensils for my chicken salad.  I ended up breaking the crust off of a piece of pizza and using it as a spoon.  I was desperate.  I probably got some trace gluten/grains, but I literally had no option as there was not enough time to even go to my car on this "lunch break".  Oh well.  I'm counting it as a win that I didn't actually swallow any of the pizza and I stuck with water when I would currently kill for a diet coke.  

3 minutes ago, creativenikki said:

Well, I did the best I could.  I didn't have any sort of utensils for my chicken salad.  I ended up breaking the crust off of a piece of pizza and using it as a spoon.  I was desperate.  I probably got some trace gluten/grains, but I literally had no option as there was not enough time to even go to my car on this "lunch break".  Oh well.  I'm counting it as a win that I didn't actually swallow any of the pizza and I stuck with water when I would currently kill for a diet coke.  

creativenikki, you can do this, as you are . . . creative.  When you take your food, put utensils in your lunch bag!

16 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

creativenikki, you can do this, as you are . . . creative.  When you take your food, put utensils in your lunch bag!

Yes, I'm bringing utensils tomorrow.  Last time I took these classes they had salad both days as part of the lunch, so I was expecting the same this time.  Obviously, that's not what happened though.  The pizza was a surprise.

26 minutes ago, creativenikki said:

I'm counting it as a win that I didn't actually swallow any of the pizza and I stuck with water when I would currently kill for a diet coke

I think given the mood you were in earlier this is definitely a win - and at least now tomorrow you'll be prepared.... Get a good night's sleep, re-group & stand tall.

Archived