Need someone with a medical background! Discouraged!

I'm feeling completely discouraged and need some advice. My work's insurance gives us a small monetary credit toward our insurance as long as we participate in a health screening each year. It's always in January and I told my husband I was pretty excited to see my numbers this year because I would be at least 2 weeks into the Whole 30 and should show some improvement to years past. Not the case. I just saw my numbers last night and it said my cholesterol was bad and my glucose was high. (?) I haven't had sugar in over 2 weeks, how in the world could my blood sugar be high? My cholesterol is bad too? Both my cholesterol and glucose were in the red zone, which means I'm in danger for heart disease and/or diabetes. The thing that kills me, is that it shows my numbers for 2016 and 2015 right next to my 2017 number, and those numbers were in the green (meaning these were good numbers). And in 2015 and 2016, I was not eating well at all before I did the health screening, plenty of sugar, plenty of greasy foods and yet my numbers were good. I'm on Whole 30 now and my numbers are terrible! I'm extremely discouraged and the information kept me up during the night and as soon as I woke up, it was the 1st thing I thought about. Please help me, I'm feel discouraged and trying to figure out what happened. And I assure you that I have been following the Whole 30 completely, no dairy, no grains, no legumes, and no added sugar, I'm completely baffled by my health screening, please help!

I don't think you will get medical advice on this forum.  I would encourage you to see your doctor and get proper tests run.  My company also does those health screenings and every year I hear people complaining about how wildly inaccurate the results are.  Fasting is not a requirement for the screening and eating before a glucose test can definitely impact your results.  Last year, the nurse told me my cholesterol was dangerously high.  It's not really - I have super high HDL (well over 100), which is a great thing, and my LDL and triglycerides are great.  I don't put much stock in cholesterol as a health indicator, but that's an entirely different discussion :)  I will tell you that two weeks is not enough time to appreciably impact your tests - it usually takes months.  Stop worrying and have your own doctor check you out.

If you can get to your doctor ASAP, then you can use that info (fasting glucose test, proper cholesterol screening, etc) to fight for your credit. Who knows...the tests could be rigged so no one gets the credit this year or something ridiculous to supposedly combat high insurance costs. 

• Administrators

Just to reiterate what you've been told, you will not get any medical counselling on the Whole30 forum nor should you really be soliciting medical counselling from internet volunteers whose background you cannot vette. 

If you are this concerned, see a doctor. Really.

I am a pharmacist. Were these labs fasting? (no food for at least 12 hours) If not, I would have your primary MD repeat them. The two labs that must be fasting are glucose and lipids. Your glucose could have been high due to a sweet potato!

On 1/30/2017 at 6:42 AM, Lara L said:

I am a pharmacist. Were these labs fasting? (no food for at least 12 hours) If not, I would have your primary MD repeat them. The two labs that must be fasting are glucose and lipids. Your glucose could have been high due to a sweet potato!

Lara L,

I am on day 30 and I just received my fasting lab results back...my kidney levels are high, my cholesterol was 298,  Triglycerides are 280, HDL 40 and LDL 202.  I have never had a high cholesterol in my life.  The doc is telling me to reduce fatty foods.  I am not seeking medical advice, just wondering if this could be from too much healthy fat?  I really don't get it.  Bummed Out!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2017 at 7:01 AM, mkukiela said:

Lara L,

I am on day 30 and I just received my fasting lab results back...my kidney levels are high, my cholesterol was 298,  Triglycerides are 280, HDL 40 and LDL 202.  I have never had a high cholesterol in my life.  The doc is telling me to reduce fatty foods.  I am not seeking medical advice, just wondering if this could be from too much healthy fat?  I really don't get it.  Bummed Out!

High cholesterol can certainly be from eating meat.  I see a lot of steaks and other red meat being eaten on this program.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, MARTHALEE said:

High cholesterol can certainly be from eating meat.  I see a lot of steaks and other red meat being eaten on this program.

Dietary cholesterol does not cause high cholesterol in the body.  There is plenty of research available in this regard including a great book by Liz Wolfe called Eat the Yolks.  Please don't spread misinformation.

Anyone with an authentic medical background or license would not diagnose or prognosticate anything  for anyone on a forum. Way too much liability for that. 

If someone has high cholesterol, it started long, long before they did a Whole 30. Poor health is not created in 30 days.  That's a drop of water in the ocean with a small ripple effect.

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Dietary cholesterol does not cause high cholesterol in the body.  There is plenty of research available in this regard including a great book by Liz Wolfe called Eat the Yolks.  Please don't spread misinformation.

I have seen research both ways.  At Kaiser they say to eat a plant based diet to reduce cholesterol.  There is also plenty of research showing it does.  People differ.

"A diet high in cholesterolsaturated fats, and trans fats can raise blood cholesterol levels and put you at risk for heart disease, according to the American Heart Association. Many foods that come from animals — like meat and dairy products — contain saturated fats, while baked goods and fast foods pack trans fats."

Archived