Day 31

Note: I am on Day 20. 

So. I intend to follow the reintroduction schedule, and stay on the Whole30 during that. And intend to go paleo with a side of Whole30 for life, since my Sugar Dragon is big, huge and monstrous so I don't want her to get hooked on honey. In any event, I'm over here on Day 20, thinking how much I'd like to have a vodka martini or glass of wine on Day 31 and maybe some cashew ice cream made with agave syrup (one, the other or both).  Neither the sugar or booze are on the reintro plan--but I believe that is because booze and sugar are the "things we dont use because they are plain and simply not promoting health," and they are things to use when I deem it's worth it.

Am I understanding this correctly? Is my strategy for a "Day 31 ZOMG I would love love love the slight martini buzz" experience/experiment a solid strategy? Or does the reintro phase stay really strict Whole30 and only reintro the 5...6 foods: gluten grains, non-grains, legumes, dairy...I forget the others.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated! 

Hello @whole30_patricia  and congratulations on your 20 days! 

Personally, I'd defer the alcohol and the sugar until after your other reintroductions are done because your reaction to them might color your reactions to other foods and also because I've read way too many stories on the forums of people who completed their 30 days and then fell face first into non-Whole30 foods/drinks and never did their reintroductions and then came back again to start over with another Whole30 (sometimes multiple Whole30's) but again never doing reintroductions. 

The clean slate of your Whole30 gives you the valuable opportunity to reintroduce foods in a systematic way and find out exactly how they affect you. This information is an essential step toward riding your own bike/food freedom. 

And remember you don't eat a reintroduced food or food group again during your reintros and you need at least two days of Whole30 eating after each reintroductions. (More if you have a reaction.)

Personally, I think putting sugar in the equation with dairy makes it harder to sort out effects of just dairy. Add in alcohol and you can see how things could get very muddled.

You've made a big investment in your Whole30. Why not see it through with your reintroductions before celebrating with alcholhol and other off-plan foods?

I concur with ArtFossil.  I surely do.  We've witnessed those who've completed a compliant W30 only to fall back into wine and chocolate, never to be heard from again. A year down the road, they start over, pledging to do a proper reintro.  Do it right and you won't regret it. 

13 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

Hello @whole30_patricia  and congratulations on your 20 days! 

Personally, I'd defer the alcohol and the sugar until after your other reintroductions are done because your reaction to them might color your reactions to other foods and also because I've read way too many stories on the forums of people who completed their 30 days and then fell face first into non-Whole30 foods/drinks and never did their reintroductions and then came back again to start over with another Whole30 (sometimes multiple Whole30's) but again never doing reintroductions. 

The clean slate of your Whole30 gives you the valuable opportunity to reintroduce foods in a systematic way and find out exactly how they affect you. This information is an essential step toward riding your own bike/food freedom. 

And remember you don't eat a reintroduced food or food group again during your reintros and you need at least two days of Whole30 eating after each reintroductions. (More if you have a reaction.)

Personally, I think putting sugar in the equation with dairy makes it harder to sort out effects of just dairy. Add in alcohol and you can see how things could get very muddled.

You've made a big investment in your Whole30. Why not see it through with your reintroductions before celebrating with alcholhol and other off-plan foods?

Thanks! I will heed your advice. I'm actually at the point in the program, where the reward by food/booze/substance is really diminishing by the day--so I think it'll be what I actually *want* to do by day 31--not something I am forcing. BTW, though I cannot totally recognize it, somewhere under all this planning brain, I'm very, very a) HAPPY I embarked upon this Whole30 journey (I've been reading about it for years--just finally had the perfect storm to try it), and b.) that I am DOING IT!! Thanks for your responses and support. =]

Although, I have a very special party on the 11th. I really would like to have a cheers with my friend at his retirement party. I'm thinking maybe I can move legumes to the end, as they are the least probable to have issues with, and then after the 11th, go strict Whole30 4 days, reenter legumes and test those as the final item of reintroduction. Does this sound like a logical compromise (AND do able, can commit to coming back on day 12 to clean up and test legumes). Or, is it just a good idea to just surrender and take my time. It takes at least 11 days to do the reintro correctly. But, I'm trying to find a "real life" workaround which respects my life and the program's intentions. Thoughts? 

3 minutes ago, whole30_patricia said:

Can you do SWYPO after day 30? I wouldn't mind a little baked french fry or some type of banana cacao powder ice cream. :)

Do your reintroductions (without the SWYPO stuff! Then, AFTER your reintroductions you get to decide what you eat and you can eat whatever you want! But, you'll be able to make smarter decisions and you'll have the structure of the reintro period to ease you back into riding your own bike. 

The diagnostic testing is the best part of the W30.  You were diligent and faithful. Compliant without complaint.  You don't want to throw the first 10 days away.   It's only 30 days and 10 more days for a reintro.  40 days and 40 nights.  You can stand on your head for 10 more days.   Think about your future. 

Absolutely! I already have so much to say about this program (and I'm going to unpack it for a long, long time)--but the first thing I'd tell anyone, is, "DO YOUR DANG RESEARCH AND STOP FINDING WAYS TO CHEAT AND THEN COMPLAIN THAT IT'S NOT WORKING." :)  I read a lot of posts that pretty much are just silly and off plan, across social media posts. Thanks again! ttfn

• Moderators
2 hours ago, whole30_patricia said:

a little baked french fry

If you're cutting a potato into strips and baking/roasting it in your oven, that's actually totally allowed on Whole30 -- just, you know, eat other vegetables too. And maybe don't have them every day or anything. :)

1 hour ago, whole30_patricia said:

but the first thing I'd tell anyone, is, "DO YOUR DANG RESEARCH AND STOP FINDING WAYS TO CHEAT AND THEN COMPLAIN THAT IT'S NOT WORKING." :)

You have no idea how much I agree with this.

So to tag onto this post with a question of my own: I am on day 27. I am in a parade Krewe and our big parade (like mardi grai) is Saturday, which is day 33. My plan has been to reintroduce something like legumes on Thursday, nothing on Friday, drink tequila on Sat but eat complaint, nothing on Sunday, then normal reintroduction after that. One of the reasons we started on 12/27 was so that I could be finished by the parade and be able to partake. Should I wait to reintroduce anything but the alcohol until after Sunday? Should I follow my plan? I have been thinking about this a lot since we began but now it's almost here and I need to have a solid plan. I will definitely be drinking Sat. it's just a matter of if I wait to start my reintroductions until after or not. 

I'm glad I read this. I concur with those who have stated above that going off the rails on day 31 nearly negates the benefits of days 1-30, and I'm actually living proof of someone who has had to come back to do yet another Whole30 because of it. So, here I am, on Day 21, and already thinking about how this will go. I agree with the sentiment above that having alcohol or sugar would really muddy the waters on a reintroduction. So, ... point taken. Thank you.

Am I crazy or did the sample reintroduction set out in ISWF envision the first reintro day as testing wine? It was my understanding that testing alcohol alone (making sure it's gluten free) was a perfectly appropriate start to reintroduction? Then two days back to Whole 30, then the next group, etc.  

8 hours ago, perceivingperdita said:

So to tag onto this post with a question of my own: I am on day 27. I am in a parade Krewe and our big parade (like mardi grai) is Saturday, which is day 33. My plan has been to reintroduce something like legumes on Thursday, nothing on Friday, drink tequila on Sat but eat complaint, nothing on Sunday, then normal reintroduction after that. One of the reasons we started on 12/27 was so that I could be finished by the parade and be able to partake. Should I wait to reintroduce anything but the alcohol until after Sunday? Should I follow my plan? I have been thinking about this a lot since we began but now it's almost here and I need to have a solid plan. I will definitely be drinking Sat. it's just a matter of if I wait to start my reintroductions until after or not. 

OK, obviously I take a conservative approach to reintros but the basic structure would be to reintroduce a food, followed by two days of Whole30 eating. So if you reintroduced legumes on Thursday, you would need to be Whole30 on Friday and Saturday (at least), which you couldn't be because of the alcohol on Saturday. 

Why not plan on drinking alcohol on Saturday, then giving yourself as many days as you need to get back to the way you feel post-Whole30, THEN start your reintros?

Archived