Day 9: Snacks, or lack thereof

Hi all !

I'm on Day 9 and generally ok with the program.  However, as of yesterday (beginning second week) have noticed that i have been getting hungry in the afternoon in spite of having had (what seemed like) sufficient protein at lunch. I know that snacks are usually frowned up in the program, Melissa says in her Whole 30 book to try and avoid them, and have only 3 meals per day.

Yesterday and today, I found that I needed a bit to eat in the afternoon, so I had a small piece of fruit (half banana or half pear) with a handful of unsalted nuts (cashews, pistachios, almonds).  That helped hold me until dinner.  In general I have been trying not to eat fruit on its own or as a dessert, but to incorporate it in dishes (salads, scrambled eggs...never thought I would enjoy blueberries and kale with scrambled eggs but I do !

This is what I had at lunches:

- Monday:  leftover dinner from night before: one tilapia filet baked in olive oil with mushrooms and tomatoes (from the W30 book)

- Tuesday: 1 can of water packed albacore tuna (pole caught) with 1 tbsp avocado mayo, served with lettuce, cucumbers and celery sticks.

Is this OK ...am I doing something wrong here.  Any suggestions...

Thanks,

If you really must snack out of genuine hunger then it's best to be a mini meal, or at least two of the three macros, with protein & fat being your best option - so something like a hard boiled egg, or some chicken & mayo maybe rather than fruit & nuts (both of which are hard on the gut, food without brakes, feed the sugar dragon).

These meals don't look in anyway huge to me, but it's hard to tell if you're eating enough throughout the day without seeing your other meals (breakfast in particular will set the tone for the rest of the day so if it's on the small side you could be playing catch up), but if you were lasting the 4-5 hrs previously then have a think as to what might have changed. Are you more active? Drinking less water maybe? Or if female, where are you in your cycle as this can play havoc with appetite....

Hi,  yes I am female but beyond the age where cycle will have an impact.

I believe I am having adequate breakfasts but you tell me !:

- Monday:  leftover chicken sausage and vegetables (potatoes, kale, red peppers)

- Tuesday:  leftover ground beef with sweet potatoes, kale, peppers, served on lettuce leaves with cilantro dressing

Thanks for the suggestions ! will keep those in mind if I have to snack again.

I normally have half an Avo, about 12 olives, and probably mayo as well, if I'm making a salad type meal.  this will be with 3 fried eggs, and lettuce, and maybe other veggies.  It really is quite difficult to eat too much fat.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, MicMD2503 said:

Thank you.  I've seen those guidelines but wasn't quite sure what a heaping handful was...looks like at least half a cup, which is a lot of olives !

But I get the idea :), will increase the fat intake. Thanks.

I regularly eat half a can of olives with my meals! I loooove olives

Archived