BRATDOLL's Whole30, Day One

bratdoll

My first day of Whole30. Hopefully this is the right idea (will be reading more as the day goes on)

Breakfast: double espresso (nothing added), 2 hard-boiled organic eggs

Lunch: half of a stuffed green pepper (filled with 93% lean ground turkey, rinsed canned tomatoes, garlic and spices)

Snack: raw baby carrots with a splash of balsamic vinegar and spices

Dinner: approx. 4oz of grilled or steamed salmon with steamed broccoli and a small sweet potato

I think I will play Dance Dance Revolution tonight for an hour, to work out....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome! Just glancing at your food log...you are missing some things. First off...you must follow the food template exactly. At breakfast you are only eating 2 eggs...this is not enough. You need some good fat and a veggie or fruit. Lunch...make sure your protein portion is at least the size of your palm. Snacking is not recommended...and won't be necessary if you are eating enough food. Dinner looks good but did you add any fat such as olive oil or ghee? Fat is a necessary component. You will be very hungry if you continue to eat like this. Our brains end up thinking we need to eat less and that fat is bad due to all of the food lies. Read "It Starts With Food." This book will help explain everything you need to know about this way of eating. What you are eating right now...isn't going to work for the long term and you won't achieve the benefits of the Whole9 way of living. Check out some of the other food logs on the forum. Here's an example of what I eat in a day as a 5'5" female who is almost at goal weight, and feeling great!

Breakfast: 2 cups coffee, 3 eggs, 1 small onion (frittata), cooked in olive oil

Lunch: 1 large tomato, basil, 6oz chicken, 1TBS green curry, cooked in coconut oil, herbal tea

Dinner: 6-8oz roast beef, entire can of green beans with ghee, herbal tea

Plenty of water during the day.

Best wishes to you! :)

welcome bratdoll -- I see you're from up east, hope all is well with you & yours, what a crazy week you all have had. There's so much knowledge and encouragement here, you will learn a TON! I know I have. I'm currently on day2 of an umpteenth attempt, but I can say that earlier this summer I made it about 3 weeks and I've never felt better. Since then I've been trying to manage and sneak and, well, quite frankly, do it MY way... what I found out was that "It Starts With Food" really makes sense! Anyway, just wanted to say hello and W E L C O M E !! you to the forum

=) Maggie

Welcome! Just glancing at your food log...you are missing some things. First off...you must follow the food template exactly. At breakfast you are only eating 2 eggs...this is not enough. You need some good fat and a veggie or fruit. Lunch...make sure your protein portion is at least the size of your palm. Snacking is not recommended...and won't be necessary if you are eating enough food. Dinner looks good but did you add any fat such as olive oil or ghee? Fat is a necessary component. You will be very hungry if you continue to eat like this. Our brains end up thinking we need to eat less and that fat is bad due to all of the food lies. Read "It Starts With Food." This book will help explain everything you need to know about this way of eating. What you are eating right now...isn't going to work for the long term and you won't achieve the benefits of the Whole9 way of living. Check out some of the other food logs on the forum. Here's an example of what I eat in a day as a 5'5" female who is almost at goal weight, and feeling great!

Breakfast: 2 cups coffee, 3 eggs, 1 small onion (frittata), cooked in olive oil

Lunch: 1 large tomato, basil, 6oz chicken, 1TBS green curry, cooked in coconut oil, herbal tea

Dinner: 6-8oz roast beef, entire can of green beans with ghee, herbal tea

Plenty of water during the day.

Best wishes to you! :)

HI!!! Thanks for your response to me!

I am reading the book now so I can gain a better understanding of what to eat when.... but youre response was very helpful!

For breakfast, I will add the healthy fat and a veggie/fruit. I will also eliminate the "snack" carrots (which I am eating now WITH my lunch). I imagine avocado would be a good thing to add? (I have only tried it once, but wil try again)

I should have mentioned that the lunch portion of lean ground turkey IS the size of my palm, and was cooked in olive oil :)

Dinner will be cooked with olive oil. The thought of ghee creeps me out a little, and I haven't found it yet, so for now it's just olive oil or coconut oil.

I am checking out others meal logs, and definitely learning! Your breakfast looks great, by the way, and I will be doing that tomorrow! Thanks for clarifying a bit more, I really appreciate it.!!!

welcome bratdoll -- I see you're from up east, hope all is well with you & yours, what a crazy week you all have had. There's so much knowledge and encouragement here, you will learn a TON! I know I have. I'm currently on day2 of an umpteenth attempt, but I can say that earlier this summer I made it about 3 weeks and I've never felt better. Since then I've been trying to manage and sneak and, well, quite frankly, do it MY way... what I found out was that "It Starts With Food" really makes sense! Anyway, just wanted to say hello and W E L C O M E !! you to the forum

=) Maggie

Hi! Thanks, yes---we are okay. I have some damage to my house, which I am not looking forward to the estimate to fix (roof and wall water damage) but we are alive, well, and still have a roof over our heads... so I'm definitely feeling very fortunate.

I followed paleo for a month early this year, February or so, and I lost 9 lbs and felt wonderful. Since then, I've been crazy happy, graduated, planned/had a wedding, and now I need a few things that go hand in hand: To eat better, feel better, lose weight and find a workout routine that I like.

As for being here, my wife and I are doing the Whole30 together and I am on the forum to learn from others and stay accountable. I like how this forum feels... very supportive and helpful people (versus places like Weight Watchers, where its completely opposite). Plus, I actually BELIEVE in paleo eating and want to give this another fair shot, especially for my health.

Thanks :) I need a buddy, if you want one! I could definitely use the help in doing this properly (yes, I have the book and will be reading it today) :)

Kris

Ghee is delicious!! Don't be scared...the only scary part is the price. :o Worth it, though!

You know what? I thought ghee was like lard. LOL!

I googled ghee and I see exactly what it is and how it must taste--- like butter, without the creaminess, and doesnt have to be kept in the fridge, no?

Have you ever ordered it online? I dont think I have ever seen it in the store.

I found is on vitacost.com, a 13oz jar of organic salt free ghee for $8.31. Good price?

Day ONE, WHAT I DID TODAY EXACTLY:

• Breakfast: double espresso (nothing added), 2 hard-boiled organic egg

• Lunch: half of a stuffed green pepper (filled with 93% lean ground turkey cooked in olive oil, rinsed canned tomatoes, garlic and spices) and carrots (with a splash of balsamic vinegar and spices)

• Dinner: approx. 6oz of steamed salmon (palm size!) with spices, a bunch of sauteed green beans (in olive oil, garlic and spices) and a tiny sweet potato, cooked in the microwave and topped with a small spoon of coconut cream concentrate (theres no "cream" in it) and some coconut oil

Hows this sound? I didn't eat enough for breakfast, or the veggie I needed, which I didn't realize until after the fact, but I upped the fat and had plenty of green beans. Will not forget tomorrow morning :)

I didn't end up doing Dance Dance Revolution, but after standing *in the cold, outside* for 1&1/2 hour to vote, I don't think anyone else would feel like it either! :)

I probably should have not labeled this topic with the number of the day, but anyways...

DAY TWO! (EDITED!!!! in the evening)

Breakfast:

• 3 eggs fried with a tad of bacon grease
  • a bunch of kale heated slightly
  • double espresso (nothing added)
  • water
  • couple slices bacon

Lunch:

• handful of garlic stuffed olives
  • bunch of raw sweet peppers (the tiny ones, green and red and yellow)
  • banana
  • water
  • sliced steak

Dinner:

• veggies cooked in olive oil and spices (yellow squash, green beans, mushrooms)
  • hamburger patty the size of my palm (90% lean, no antibiotics, no hormones, cage free, vegetarian diet)
  • orange
  • handful cashews
  • shot of espresso with some coconut milk
  • water

Is the fruit of the day best eaten for breakfast or lunch, or does it matter? Should it be limited to one? Two?

Things I hope to buy bought at Whole Foods today:

ghee, coconut milk, avocados, bananas, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, spring salad mix, cherry tomatoes, organic eggs, olives, cashews (raw and unsalted), chinese 5 spice, chili paste, and long carrots :)

You know what? I thought ghee was like lard. LOL!

I googled ghee and I see exactly what it is and how it must taste--- like butter, without the creaminess, and doesnt have to be kept in the fridge, no?

Have you ever ordered it online? I dont think I have ever seen it in the store.

I found is on vitacost.com, a 13oz jar of organic salt free ghee for $8.31. Good price?

I got mine at whole foods, and I believe I paid about the same for it. I keep mine on the counter since it's basically just fat :) You can also make your own!

I got mine at whole foods, and I believe I paid about the same for it. I keep mine on the counter since it's basically just fat :) You can also make your own!

I got it at Whole Foods tonight, and it tastes great! I used some to cook my mini hamburger patties! :)

November 4 - DAY THREE

B: handful cashews, 3 boiled eggs, orange, water

L: hamburger/ghee, spring mix salad, handful cashews, couple olives, water

D: shrimp/chicken breast/broccoli/onions/egg/green pepper (stirfried w/ garlic olive oil/lime juice and spices), unsweetened iced tea ***I did so good for dinner, considering my Dad took my family out to dinner to a Mongolian grill place. I chose the meats and veggies, asked for garlic olive oil/spices/lime juice and skipped the starch and sauce!***

November 5: DAY FOUR

B: three fried eggs/ghee, spring salad mix, apple, espresso with coconut milk (Oh, what a difference it makes to be able to add coconut milk and not have to drink this straight!!!)

L: hamburger, yellow squash/green beans/mushrooms/ghee, black and green olives, handful cashews/coconut

D: grilled salmon, sweet potato/ghee, kale/mushrooms/olive oil, espresso/coconut milk

I probably should have not labeled this topic with the number of the day, but anyways...

DAY TWO! (EDITED!!!! in the evening)

Breakfast:

• 3 eggs fried with a tad of bacon grease
  • a bunch of kale heated slightly
  • double espresso (nothing added)
  • water
  • couple slices bacon

Lunch:

• handful of garlic stuffed olives
  • bunch of raw sweet peppers (the tiny ones, green and red and yellow)
  • banana
  • water
  • sliced steak

Dinner:

• veggies cooked in olive oil and spices (yellow squash, green beans, mushrooms)
  • hamburger patty the size of my palm (90% lean, no antibiotics, no hormones, cage free, vegetarian diet)
  • orange
  • handful cashews
  • shot of espresso with some coconut milk
  • water

Is the fruit of the day best eaten for breakfast or lunch, or does it matter? Should it be limited to one? Two?

Things I hope to buy bought at Whole Foods today:

ghee, coconut milk, avocados, bananas, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, spring salad mix, cherry tomatoes, organic eggs, olives, cashews (raw and unsalted), chinese 5 spice, chili paste, and long carrots :)

There's really no timing issue with fruit. Just avoid using it as a dessert as part of the goal is to battle our "sugar dragons". They also suggest not snacking on fruit. If you are genuinely hungry and need a snack, better to hit some protein and/or fat with a veggie.

Sugar was a big deal for me, so i worked on eating only 1 piece of fruit in general. And ate that with a meal.

Welcome and best wishes! The forum is fantastic and so are the blogs (of course the book).

There's really no timing issue with fruit. Just avoid using it as a dessert as part of the goal is to battle our "sugar dragons". They also suggest not snacking on fruit. If you are genuinely hungry and need a snack, better to hit some protein and/or fat with a veggie.

Sugar was a big deal for me, so i worked on eating only 1 piece of fruit in general. And ate that with a meal.

Welcome and best wishes! The forum is fantastic and so are the blogs (of course the book).

Thanks for clarifying! I think it's working great with breakfast for me, so far... And since I could eat apples and oranges all day, I'm making a limit on myself to have only one :) I'm glad you explained the snack to me... The other day I needed a snack and rather than head for the "junk cabinet" where the chips are, I grabbed some olives and a couple sweet peppers. Glad to know that was a great choice!

Sugar isn't a big deal for me... It's salty and just plain evil foods I mustn't name here, lol!!!

And I am becoming truly addicted to this forum. Everyone is so nice, welcoming and helpful... The topics and information are valuable, and I'm actually motivated to continue.

Nice to meet you here ! :)

When you run out of ghee, consider making your own - it's so easy, and much less expensive! If you google "how to make ghee video" you'll get lots of how-to videos. Good luck, looks like you're off to a great start!

When you run out of ghee, consider making your own - it's so easy, and much less expensive! If you google "how to make ghee video" you'll get lots of how-to videos. Good luck, looks like you're off to a great start!

Hi Ann! I've read others make it and it tastes better, but that it stinks up the house LOL!

Thanks! I'm trying!!!! :)

November 6: DAY FIVE *edited

B: three eggs fried with olive oil, plate full of spring mix salad, espresso with coconut milk

L: chicken tenderloins cooked in slow cooker with spices, 2 large carrots (also cooked in slow cooker), orange, handful coconut, palm size handful cashews, handful black/green olives

D: Chipotle- (carnitas, lettuce, salsa) and an orange, and water.

I tried guacamole but I couldn't get with it. :( Maybe I will like plain avocado?

NOVEMBER 7: DAY SIX

:) elated to be a Marylander :wub:

B: 3 fried eggs/ghee, sauteed kale/olive oil, espresso/coconut milk, water

L: crockpot chicken tenderloins/olive oil, crockpot carrots (2 large), mushrooms/ghee, orange, black and green olives, coconut/cashews, water

D: grilled turkey burger/ghee, sautéed carrots/olive oil, water, espresso/coconut milk

Can I just give myself a big pat on the back? I had a staff meeting at work today and for some reason, they thought it would be awesome to provide pizza and soda. Imagine, 40 large fresh pizzas, tables of sodas... you get the point.

I stayed strong, although starting to feel hungry, went to our health benefits fair (where I grabbed 2 bottles of water and an orange), and THEN went back to my office and enjoyed my compliant lunch (though its after 3pm EST). I feel good about that decision, because I sure do love pizza.

NOVEMBER 08: DAY SEVEN *edited!

:wub:My niece is being born as I type this :wub:

B: thin beef, 2 fried eggs (in grease from beef), small sweet potato/coconut oil, 1/2 yellow squash/olive oil/spices, espresso/coconut milk

L: cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots/olive oil, turkey burger/ghee, coconut flakes/cashews, black and green olives, orange, water

***edited D: half avocado, thin steak, green pepper/yellow squash, sweet potato/coconut oil, espresso/coconut milk

IM SO GLAD I STOPPED BEING SO CHICKENSH!T. I tried avocado (with some garlic and salt) and I think I like it! I could see myself eating half of one with my meals!!!!

I'm loving the way I feel so far. B)

NOVEMBER 9: DAY EIGHT

B: steak, 2 fried eggs/ghee, broccoli, 1/2 avocado, espresso/coconut milk, water

L: salmon/olive oil, broccoli/carrots/ghee, green/black olives, 1/2 avocado, orange, coconut/cashews, water

D: Red Robin: hamburger patty/lettuce/tomato/pickles/onion, 1/2 avocado, unsweetened iced tea

Can someone please take a look at my meals and provide any feedback? I eat more at lunch time because that's my hungriest part of the day, but I'd like to know if my meals look well rounded according to the guidelines :)

Thanks all who read and/or are following :)

Looks pretty good to me since you've added fat to each meal since you first got started. Keep in mind that a lot of times when you're cooking with the fat a lot stays in the pan (depending on how you plate your food), and so if you're getting hungry, you may not be getting as much fat as you think.

Also, it kind of depends on your size and activity level. I'm pretty small and have a sedentary work day. So I generally stick to the 1-2 tablespoon range for oils/butter, 1 closed hand of nuts, half an avocado, or 1 serving of coconut milk each meal. My husband on the other hand is a big guy (6'2", 212#) and works in the construction trades, so he needs all of that just about doubled to be full.

Are you feeling good between meals? Full but not too full after eating?

During my first week, I definitely noticed if I didn't get enough protein and/or fat with a meal. Not only was I hungry early, but I also felt either more fatigued or a little almost irritable/anxious.

Looks pretty good to me since you've added fat to each meal since you first got started. Keep in mind that a lot of times when you're cooking with the fat a lot stays in the pan (depending on how you plate your food), and so if you're getting hungry, you may not be getting as much fat as you think.

Also, it kind of depends on your size and activity level. I'm pretty small and have a sedentary work day. So I generally stick to the 1-2 tablespoon range for oils/butter, 1 closed hand of nuts, half an avocado, or 1 serving of coconut milk each meal. My husband on the other hand is a big guy (6'2", 212#) and works in the construction trades, so he needs all of that just about doubled to be full.

Are you feeling good between meals? Full but not too full after eating?

During my first week, I definitely noticed if I didn't get enough protein and/or fat with a meal. Not only was I hungry early, but I also felt either more fatigued or a little almost irritable/anxious.

So, wait I thought EACH MEAL, according to the template, HAS to include 1-2 thumbs oil, 1-2 thumbs butter, 1-2 hand olive, 1-2 hand protein, veggies, 1/2-1 whole avocado, 1-2 heaping coconut, AND a closed hand of nuts......... ?????? I have been eating ALL of this, LOL! And while some of it is in the pan, sometimes I put the oil directly on the food (like when I eat a sweet potato or veggies with ghee).

So I'm definitely full with every meal, and I feel great until the next mealtime! I sit all day at work, I don't have an exercise regimine (yet), but I peeked at the scale and its going down! :) I discovered two nights ago that I dont like guacamole but last night that I like plain avocado. I'm glad I gave it another try (maybe it was the $5 i spent on them at Whole Foods, lol.....)

Archived