Ibs issues and perks

I am on Day 4 of whole30 and I noticed right away some positive perks to the diet. My bloat is all but gone and my gas has sufficiently decreased. With that said I've suffer from ibs c and d uncomfortably for 2.5 years after a stressful year with work and personal factors and probably too much wine. Most of my symptoms are either incomplete bowel movements with bloat and late night gurgling and gas. Thankfully no crippling pain.  I've read many of the forum posts and feel excited and positive about the results from fellow ibs sufferers.  Although today has been a tough day. Tmi noting forward. I started my period and I've had diarrhea and very upset intestinal rumbling. I follow a strict low fodmap diet and am incorporating that into my whole30. 

Sample meals. Breakfast is eggs with veggies like yams, squash, some ground beef/turkey. Lunch is baked chicken with more squash or zucchini and dinner is chicken or beef with carrots, squash and maybe steamed spinach. Today I did have coffee and a kiwi for breakfast. 

Any fellow ibs suffers who can relate and have had some success, please advise. Another side note I have in the past has SIBO and my symptoms seem similar as before. Any suggestions? Positive comments? 

• Moderators

Today all you ate for breakfast was a kiwi and coffee?  That would give me diarrhea too!  I do notice you have no fat listed in your meals so while that is not really the topic of your post, I would be remiss not mentioning it.  

Yesterday I ate a kiwi, yams, with some almond butter and coconut flakes with coffee for breakfast It wasn't nearly enough food but I was trying to limit my eggs. I think the culprit was the fatty short ribs I ate the night before. My body is used to carbs and so a few days of only eating lean meats the short ribs probably agitated my stomach. I cook with coconut and olive oil as well. I am feeling better today and took a digestive enzyme before breakfast. I had turkey sausage with small amount of fruit, half kiwi, blueberries and coconut yogurt  with no sugar. I also added some bone broth with veggies and an egg too. So far so good. Maybe it was shock to my system. I'll keep chugging through. 

Good to know about the yogurt. I figured since all it had was coconut cream, tapioca and probiotics that it was allowable but I get it's like making pancakes with compliant ingredients. I was looking to get a probiotic in my diet but the coconut yogurt upset my stomach so I'm off it. Still trial and error with this program because I'm getting bored essentially eating dinner type meals three times a day. Low fodmap is limiting and I'm sticking to food I know agrees with me. I'm still chugging away. Making clean heartier meals with fats, protein and lots of veggies. I added back in eggs but getting tired of them too. I am slowly starting to feel better so I must be on the right track but it's definitely day to day ups and downs. 

• 5 weeks later...

I am on day 4 and have not noticed much improvement to my tummy issues (bloating, heartburn, nausea, diarrhea/constipation).  I’ve not had much trouble following the diet yet.  I will be missing my wine and cheese at some point, but so far I’m still feeling fat and sick so not really interested at the moment.  I’m surprised and disappointed my stomach isn’t feeling better yet! 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, arrowbirth127 said:

Feeling pretty weepy/kill all the things today and yesterday, too. 

Are you eating at least one serving of starchy vegetables each day? Some people need more than that, especially if they're prone to anxiety and depression. Also include dark leafy greens, and omega-3s from oily fish -- these items have vitamins that can help with feelings of depression. Getting out into the sunshine for vitamin D can help as well, if that's possible where you are.

For the bloating and constipation, if you want to include a day or two of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes, we can take a look, but in general, make sure you're drinking plenty of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz); eat lots of vegetables of different kinds (2-3 cups at every meal, more if it's raw leafy greens as they break down to nothing as you eat); and include 1-2 servings of fat from the meal template in addition to whatever oil you cook in, as much of that oil stays in the pan and gets split between portions if you're cooking more than one serving at a time. Probiotics, either as pills or in the form of fermented foods like kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi or other fermented vegetables may help as well.

You can download the meal template here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

On 3/27/2018 at 12:54 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Are you eating at least one serving of starchy vegetables each day? Some people need more than that, especially if they're prone to anxiety and depression. Also include dark leafy greens, and omega-3s from oily fish -- these items have vitamins that can help with feelings of depression. Getting out into the sunshine for vitamin D can help as well, if that's possible where you are.

For the bloating and constipation, if you want to include a day or two of typical meals, including approximate portion sizes, we can take a look, but in general, make sure you're drinking plenty of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 oz); eat lots of vegetables of different kinds (2-3 cups at every meal, more if it's raw leafy greens as they break down to nothing as you eat); and include 1-2 servings of fat from the meal template in addition to whatever oil you cook in, as much of that oil stays in the pan and gets split between portions if you're cooking more than one serving at a time. Probiotics, either as pills or in the form of fermented foods like kombucha, sauerkraut, kimchi or other fermented vegetables may help as well.

You can download the meal template here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Thank you! I'm actually feeling much better now on Day 22 except for this stinkin' headache today. I realized I was taking a calcium/magnesium supplement instead of just a mag supplement, so once I figured that out things started moving, lol! I think the calcium was really binding me up big time. My hubby is losing all kinds of weight and I don't feel like I am but it may be because I'm eating a lot more than I usually do non-Whole 30? Either way, I hope I'm close to tiger blood soon and definitely feeling better, thank you for your reply!

Archived