gallbladder out

ereiam

I was just told today by my doctor that I need to have my gallbladder out. I am having some pretty serious pain, bloating and diarrhea. I'm scheduled for an ultrasound on Friday and then to the surgeon after that. I just read the other thread about gallstones and it left me with questions.

Here's the history: I've been paleo for nearly a year and low carb for 6 months before that. In the past 6 months, I have had increasing pressure in my upper right abdomen after eating. Now it's causing a lot of pain, nausea, diarrhea, etc. I've lost 90 pounds in the last year and a half and that's supposed to be a risk factor for gallbladder troubles.

So the doctor says to have it out, but I don't know what to do. It doesn't make sense to get rid of an organ or that it is really something that you don't need. On the other hand, the surgeon is offering the "easy" out. Just remove it and all my pain will be gone.

The doctor told me to eat low fat (of course) and I am doing it mostly because fatty meals make me nauseated. Bacon does not appeal at this point!

My sister has had gallbladder troubles for years and swears by her herbal gallbladder potion.

I'm thinking at this point that I will keep the appointment for the ultrasound, try the herbal concoction and wait and see for a few weeks.

Have you had stones confirmed?

I am facing this right now. But am dealing with it via my naturopath first. I am taking various things to help support my liver, and also help dissolve the stones.

I am not willing to lose an organ unless its going to risk my life, which it doesn't appear gallstones does that.

Low fat is not the answer though, but im sure others who know more than me will let you know about that more.

eriam, your doctor is telling you to eat low fat to reduce your risk of a severe attack (it's certainly no coincidence that fatty foods leave you nauseated at this point).

I had my gallbladder out 3.5 years ago, a month after diagnosis following a severe attack, but in hindsight I had been having attacks for at least a year. Would I have liked to avoid losing an organ that serves a purpose in my body? Of course, and had I been as conscientous about good food then as I am now I may have fought harder to keep it. Still, as long as those gallstones are in there there is the potential for one to get stuck next time your gallbladder decides to squeeze out some bile, and cause severe pain, or even get infected. I had a friend who wound up in the ER having emergency gallbadder surgery after having an attack that wouldn't resolve itself. It can certainly happen.

My personal experience has been that about 99% of the time I forget I don't have a gallbladder. This was certainly not the case before I had it out. Everyone's experience is a bit different but I find that especially now that I'm eating well and taking care of my body, I am just fine without it, and I don't really think about it. Knowing what my life is like without it I would make the same decision again today to have it removed. I also recognize that I was fortunate to have a laparoscopic procedure that was free of complications - usually the case but obviously there are exceptions.

Just some food for thought, as everyone must decide what's right for themselves. If you can find a way to get rid of the stones without surgery, that would certainly be ideal, if it actually works.

My experience is very similar to TrayS, only a little more recent. I had mine out 2 years ago following a string of serious attacks. The docs said my gb was borderline, but recommended taking it out and - lo and behold! It was black and yucky. I'm not saying that to encourage you to have it removed, just as a note that life can and does go on normally without it.

Is it better to keep all your parts - yeah, probably - but sometimes they break and that's okay too.

Presence of stones is not the only indication of a failing gallbladder. I had 2 miserable attacks. The second was seriously the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life...and after two natural childbirths that is saying a lot!! My ultrasound showed no stones. However, my function test showed the miserable little thing was barely working (don't remember the percentage). I opted to have it out and sure enough it was black and shriveled.

I took a four day weekend. I had my gall bladder out on Thursday and went back to work effortlessly on Monday. The day of the surgery, even with the surgery I felt better than I had in months. Fatigue and tummy troubles I'd been having for months, and hadn't even attributed to my gall bladder, disappeared too.

If it's not working why learn to tolerate it when you can make it go away?

Thanks to all of you for being the voice of reason. I have decided that I definitely need to do something because I am miserable.

I just got the results of the ultrasound and everything looked normal. No stones, no infection. I still need to talk to the doctor and see what's next. Hopefully a gallbladder function test.

I am just so nauseous and fatigued. I have pain that is not severe but pain sucks all the same, right?

I no longer have my gallbladder. My surgeon did not tell me the long term effects on having it cut out. :( Weight gain is most common. Doc also did not tell me I should take bile salts with meals in order to not overtax my liver...oy.

Do your research. I know the gallbladder pain was worse than childbirth for me, and you just never want to "go there" again.

Our best man was having allbladder attacks, and he went on some sort of gallbaldder diet (NO olive oil flushes though!), healed his gallbladder and lost about 50 pounds. It was really vegetable based and low fat, totally gluten free. Lots of artichokes, beets, asparagus...if I recall.

I *highly* recommend "The Gall Bladder Survival Guide: How to live a normal life with a missing or dysfunctional gall bladder." by Jeremy Bernal.

http://www.amazon.com/Gall-Bladder-Survival-Guide-dysfunctional/dp/146368021X/

Whether you have your gallbladder out, or it's just acting up, it's a fabulous source of info (that you'll never get from your doctor, unfortunately!).

Speaking of gallbladders... I'm pretty sure that I've had attacks in the last five years. The worst that I remember was a pain in the upper right that lasted all night long. I tried gas pills and antacids with no luck. I had no idea what it was until the last year talking to someone about their episode!

In May, I started strict Paleo after dabbling on and off for three years. I developed a constant, dull pain in that area. I tried the GAPS diet to alleviate the pain. In the first three days, I ate nothing but chicken broth and a few servings of plain chicken.

Warning, TMI: I had regular doos and then all of the sudden got constipated for a few days. When I finally went, it was greenish-white, lumpy, and full of mucous... It totally freaked me out!!!

That dull pain did go away though... I hope this isn't too much, but have any of you experienced something like this? Maybe that was stones being passed?

Archived