Migraines

Hi All,

Long time sufferer of migraines. Once (sometimes twice) a month. generally lasting 3 - 5 days. Standard symptoms - severe headache, neck ache, nausea, sensitivities to light and sound, Extreme hot flashes followed by extreme cold flashes. They are connected to my cycle.

I have to admit that they are quite a bit better since my first whole 30 - down to suffering anywhere between 1/2 day to 2 days still. And only once a month. I am still wondering if there is something more that I can do.

A friend suggested I try a 21 day liver cleanse - consisting of Hot water and lemon, Milk Thistle supplement, and digestive enzymes. Once a day after breakfast. It sounds reasonable.

Wanted to get some peoples' feedback on this. Or any other suggestions to alliviate the pain.

Second question - Are digestive enzymes the same thing as probiotics?

• Moderators

I'm glad your migraines are getting better.

I don't suppose the proposed liver "cleanse" would hurt, but I think it is a waste of time. Most cleanses are useless in my opinion.

Digestive enzymes and probiotics are different. There is a pretty good article about them at http://www.livestron...stive-enzymes/.

I agree with Tom, a "cleanse" is pretty useless for something like this that is obviously hormone-driven.

Green tea and parsley (not together, yuck) are two herbs that I know of that can help regulate hormones. I'll check around with some of my other health coach colleagues and see if there are any other suggestions.

My migraines are 99% gone with clean eating, thank goodness! I still get one now and then if I eat too much starch/sweet too close to bedtime (ie squash or fruit) but that's insulin-related, not hormonal.

Thanks for the insight. I figured the "cleanse" couldn't hurt, but I wasn't sure if it would really help me either. Although I have had two Chinese medicine doctors (on seperate occassions) diagnose me with the same thing - an inflamed liver.

Obviously clean eating is helping. But not certain if I just need to hang in there and just take it longer than 30 days.

Hi Renee,

It's actually my second. My first one was a whole 40 which ended October 1st. I saw a dramatic improvment in many areas. Including the migraines. My first post 30 migraine was essentially a headache for a few hours, along with some sound sensitivity (not bad at all by my standards) But the one after that was back to normal. So after that one I got back on the whole 30. I have had one migraine during this time and it ran for about 2 days with all the usual symptoms.

If you've had two Chinese docs say your liver's inflamed, you might want to check that out further in whatever way feels appropriate to you.

Anyway, hot water with a bit of lemon first thing in the morning is really nice for your liver, and milk thistle is a commonly used liver-supportive herb. Think of hot water / lemon / milk thistle as more like liver maintenance and support rather than a 'cleanse.'

But, I don't know if that would help with migraines, though liver / migraines / cycle can all be related. I don't know what digestive enzymes would do.

Hi Silk,

Thanks for you input. Me too I totally understand the lemon+hot water, milk thistle but I don't get where the digestive enzymes fit in. I mean I understand how they may help my digestive issues - and as Tom suggests - I can't see how they would hurt. But me too I would see this more as a long term thing rather than an actual "cleanse"

• 4 weeks later...

I am a fellow sufferer just starting the whole30 tomorrow, have been on paleo however (with cheating) and 17 days of migraine oer month turned into 1 a week.

I cut coffee, cilantro, and limit pork meat to once a week. No gluten does the rest of the trick. I personally want to see if more discipline could improve the situation.

Cutting some stuff might help for you too. Good luck!

Hallo Simone,

Hoe gaat het? Bedankt voor uw suggestie. Both my parents are from The Netherlands - so I can speak a little bit. (Understand a lot)

I have been toying with a caffeine free whole 30 or at least enjoy a coffee sparingly (maybe once a week - because I do enjoy a good espresso) Cilantro will not be a problem as I never have really liked it, and pork - I already have digestive issues with pork so I do consume in minimal quantites anyway. But it's good to know that these things might affect me.

The coffee is something I suspected but haven't been really willing to give up at this point. But if it will make me feel better it will be definitely worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Carlaccini,

Het gaat goed, dank u. :) maybe you can replace the regular coffee with acorn coffee? I don't like coffee anyway but drank a lot of tea, that i have no replaced by herbal or decaf teas (tthough nothing beats a good earl grey). I don't think an espresso once a week will kill you though ;)

Archived