Bacon, Bacon, Bacon

So, I finally found bacon at my local HEB that has no sugar in it. I was so happy about this because almost all bacon and breakfast sausage has sugar in it....even turkey bacon which I hate.

HEB brand Hill Country Low Sodium bacon has no sugar and it was less than $3 for a pack. So, not only do you get the low sodium you also get no sugar as well....awesome combo. It actually taste really good too. I was a little nervous. This will probably be the only bacon I buy for now on.

I hope this helps anyone who has been having a hard time finding bacon with no sugar added.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get my sugar free bacon from US Wellness Meats, online. I think it runs about 8 or 9 bucks per pound. It's all pastured pork, too, no nitrates, and uncured. Fabulous for the bacon, and for the drippings, which I save and use for cooking all sorts of things in.

If I had a freezer (larger), I'd get the discount for buying 10+ packages at a time.

I get my sugar free bacon from US Wellness Meats, online. I think it runs about 8 or 9 bucks per pound. It's all pastured pork, too, no nitrates, and uncured. Fabulous for the bacon, and for the drippings, which I save and use for cooking all sorts of things in.

If I had a freezer (larger), I'd get the discount for buying 10+ packages at a time.

This is the first bacon I've seen that really is nitrate/nitrite free! At $16 plus shipping for 1.5 pounds, it's a chunk of money, but I might have to save up and treat myself. I haven't been able to eat bacon for 20 years!

Try checking at your local farmers market. I was very surprised to find affordable pasture raised, heritage breed, sugar/nitrate/nitrite free bacon at two different farmers markets in my area. If you have a freezer you could check with your local Cooperative Extension/4-H or FFA (Future Farmers of America). The kids do a fantastic job raising very high quality pigs, sheep, beef, and poultry. Once the county & state fair is over, the animals are ready for slaughter. Sometimes the kids raise additional animals that aren't show quality but are great eating. You can usually negotiate a very affordable price per pound if you can take a whole side - if you know someone who's Paleo, arrange to share an entire animal!

• 1 month later...

I saw the Gwaltney bacon in the store today, and bought some. But I am a tad uneasy about it, since the package and website don't list the ingredients, per se. They just say "No sugar added" and in the ingredients, just say "Cured With: Water, Salt, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite." Doesn't even mention the animal, which I found a little strange.

• 1 month later...

Not much cheaper? That's $25 for 1.5 lbs...how much weight is a normal store-bought package of bacon???

Sorry? They said $16 for 1.5 lbs, thats a little over $10 per pound. I think the key here is to remember that fat is where everything (toxic) is stored, so going for high quality bacon would be a priority (if you eat it at all. I couldn't find bacon without sweeteners locally, so I did my whole 30 without. it was fine).

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something? I thought I read that we should stay away from the sodium nitrite completely?

Which made me sad that I wouldn't have bacon, because I cannot find bacon without it. So if its sugar-free, can I have it?

US Wellness sells sugar free, nitrite free bacon. They are often out of stock, but usually get it back in by the next friday. If you find some locally, make sure you check the ingredients list and not just the percentages. It should contain nothing sugar related. It's very hard to find.

While I do like bacon, I never saw it as a must have and mainly used it as a flavor enhancer in other dishes. I rarely had bacon as a main source of protein, except for BLT's. Guess what?? I can still have a BLT without the bread.. isn't that awesome? YES! I was under the impression that nitrates/nitrites is a No No rather than a preference? Maybe I am wrong.. but that's why I started making my own bacon. I can control everything that goes into it.

On a side note, my Mom has requested that I use the "pink salt" for the bacon I want to make for Christmas breakfast this year, mainly because my pregnant niece will be there and she loves bacon. I normally omit the "pink salt" for my own personal use but for the sake of my niece and my mothers peace of mind, I will bend my rule this once as it's only one occasion.

I feel like I am ranting when really I am just cranky at the moment and this isn't the place for it.

Btw, next time I make bacon I am going to try using some apple juice in the brine.

Archived