Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

On 1/4/2018 at 10:30 AM, racheleats said:

Might just be digestion noises - but if you are hungry between meals eat a mini-meal (following the template but smaller portions) as a snack and then up the amount of food you're eating at the next meal until you can get to 4-5 hours between eating without feeling hungry. Are you having enough fat with your meals?

I started eating more fats, and have noticed that I’m not as hungry as the first few days (:

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, jessicaclaire182 said:

I started eating more fats, and have noticed that I’m not as hungry as the first few days (:

That's the way to do it! Have you done a w30 before? The hardest thing for me when I got started was sizing my meals correct for my body/activity level. It takes a bit of an adjustment period but once you get it right it's so much easier!

I have to confess...  its Dday 7 and I haven't cheated one single bit,

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is my all time favorite and there was some in the kitchen at work. 

I just couldn't resist. The temptation was too strong and I had some. 

Bad news... its, an hour later and now I have a KILLER headache.  Like, killer. 

Learn from me... dont do it. It was damn good, but not worth this headache. :angry:

6 hours ago, LaVesta said:

I read somewhere that everything that is in the books is on their website for free. I haven't looked into it, as I'm an old school gal. I like tangible items. However, maybe that might get you going.  BTW, welcome. This is my first round, too.

@carycat and @LaVesta - there is so much online - lots of blogs.  However, the best money I spent is Melissa's 'Day by Day' journal/reflection/accountability/coach book.  It's about $20.   Having this to turn to in the morning, and then again at the end of the day is absolutely saving me.  And this forum.  

And two simple bracelets I got at a farmer's market - one says "actually, I can" and the other one, says "never give up" each stamped onto a silver band.  I am THE WORST offender of negative self talk, and I'm telling you - the effect of seeing those words on my wrist is really amazing.  

Happy day 7 everyone - hoping it's going well for you. 

I've been catching up on everyone's posts. This weekend was kind of crazy. The water went out at our house from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon. This made cooking (and living!) complicated, but we made it through. I was able to get in several hours of prep last night once the water was back on. I randomly had a strong craving for a peanut butter sandwich on white bread with a frosty glass of cow's milk while walking through Kroger yesterday. It's been years since the last time I ate a peanut butter sandwich or drank a glass of milk like that. I always preferred peanut butter sandwiches with bananas or jam, anyway. Whole30 cravings are always so weird for me. It helps me remember that it's my brain playing tricks on me.

Question for a mod -- lots of people are mentioning the La Croix cherry lime flavor...isn't this from their line that is considered SWYPO because it imitates soda? I swear I read that from a mod recently, but I'm not sure when the thread was from. Or is the Curate line with the cherry lime flavor okay, and only the line that has cola flavor (NiCola) isn't?

Hi everyone!  My husband and I also started on January 2nd and its our first time doing Whole 30!  I did an extensive 3+ month food elimination diet in 2016 for food allergies (turns out I'm allergic to wheat, corn, white potatoes, tomatoes, apples, melon & brazil nuts!!!), so I'm doing okay so far.  No major cravings for me yet, but my hubby isn't fairing as well but managing!  We both really need to cut back on sugars.  I'm so thankful he's doing it with me.  I can't imagine doing this on my own!

Love the support on these forums.  Hope everyone is doing well.  We can DO this :)

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

I've been catching up on everyone's posts. This weekend was kind of crazy. The water went out at our house from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon. This made cooking (and living!) complicated, but we made it through. I was able to get in several hours of prep last night once the water was back on. I randomly had a strong craving for a peanut butter sandwich on white bread with a frosty glass of cow's milk while walking through Kroger yesterday. It's been years since the last time I ate a peanut butter sandwich or drank a glass of milk like that. I always preferred peanut butter sandwiches with bananas or jam, anyway. Whole30 cravings are always so weird for me. It helps me remember that it's my brain playing tricks on me.

Question for a mod -- lots of people are mentioning the La Croix cherry lime flavor...isn't this from their line that is considered SWYPO because it imitates soda? I swear I read that from a mod recently, but I'm not sure when the thread was from. Or is the Curate line with the cherry lime flavor okay, and only the line that has cola flavor (NiCola) isn't?

Hi - it was me that said the soda ones aren't okay... is the Cherry Lime supposed to be imitating Cherry coke?  Sparkling waters with natural flavors are fine but the ones that are imitating sodas/colas are not... I don't know what the difference between the Curate and NiCola line is off hand... 

Late to the party.  I started Jan 2 with you all, but finally found the forum and am enjoying reading everyone’s progress and suggestions.  This is my first Whole30.  Between the emails, the facebooks posts and now the forum there certainly are a lot of resources and help near by. 

Hope everyone is off to a good start this week!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I don't know what the difference between the Curate and NiCola line is off hand... 

The Curate line is just two fruit flavors combined instead of one. They're still just very lightly flavored sparkling waters, with flavors like apple berry, cherry lime, or pineapple strawberry.  They should be fine for whole30.

I haven't tried the NiCola ones, haven't ever found them near me, but they're the cola flavored ones that are not okay to have during Whole30.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

The Curate line is just two fruit flavors combined instead of one. They're still just very lightly flavored sparkling waters, with flavors like apple berry, cherry lime, or pineapple strawberry.  They should be fine for whole30.

I haven't tried the NiCola ones, haven't ever found them near me, but they're the cola flavored ones that are not okay to have during Whole30.

Ah, thank you!  I actually prefer the Dasani sparkling waters to La Croix (even tho I still have to go over the border to get either) so I've never tried the mixed flavors.  

When I was looking at the NiCola ones earlier online, I went to see the images and that stinkin' stuff is still clear!  So shady!  I mean I know the 'idea' is to have a healthier version but talk about SWYPO for people with a soda habit!

10 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I was looking at the NiCola ones online - I've never tried them, and understand why they're SWYPO - but they look like they'd be a good option for those who are soda drinkers to keep soda off their "plate" post-Whole30.  With no color or sweetener (including stevia, which I'm still skeptical of), these are much better than diet cola. 

I'm not much of a soda drinker myself, and have never been a big fan of sparkling water.  I've been using La Croix to have something a little more festive to drink when everyone else has a cocktail or beer. I've found that if I have more than one or two the bubbles make me feel bloated and uncomfortable, so probably will be sticking to one and then switching to water with lime.

Happy Day 8 everyone! Hope you are all doing well.  Mine is going great, except this one minor issue I am now experiencing.  I have made DOZENS of batches of homemade mayo with total success.  I use the recipe in the whole30 book, dump all the (room temp) ingredients in a cup and stick my immersion blender in and go.  Bam, homemade mayo.  Except now.  I have tried three batches since Sunday and none of them have worked.  :(  I am going out of my mind!!!  There has been nothing I have changed, so why all of the sudden would it not work?!  Our local store does carry the Primal Kitchen mayo but I think it tastes terrible compared to homemade.  But mayo is basically the plated fat I use for most meals so I can't stand not having it.  What on earth would make it not work suddenly?

1 hour ago, nicoledawn913 said:

...  What on earth would make it not work suddenly?

I'm no expert,  but I know weather/temperature can play a part in baking... could it be the same for oil or the other ingredients?  I haven't tried making the mayo yet, but it's on my list for this weekend.  Good luck!

18 hours ago, PB&JMAINE said:

Bad news... its, an hour later and now I have a KILLER headache.  Like, killer. 

Learn from me... dont do it. It was damn good, but not worth this headache. :angry:

Shoot, that is a bummer.  You need an accountability buddy at work.  Or a plan.  Take a walk.  Send a note/text/email to a friend.  Anything. 

Maybe if you typed a note here on the forum when you got the craving  - by the time someone answered you would have been back at your desk - and probably gotten over it by then.  Such a bummer.  And now, you probably won't be reading this b/c you need to start on day 1 again on a different page. 

Use the support!   We are cheerleaders for each other - am I right?  I'm counting on y'all to help me up when I falter... hoping you expect the same of me!

2 hours ago, nicoledawn913 said:

Happy Day 8 everyone! Hope you are all doing well.  Mine is going great, except this one minor issue I am now experiencing.  I have made DOZENS of batches of homemade mayo with total success.  I use the recipe in the whole30 book, dump all the (room temp) ingredients in a cup and stick my immersion blender in and go.  Bam, homemade mayo.  Except now.  I have tried three batches since Sunday and none of them have worked.  :(  I am going out of my mind!!!  There has been nothing I have changed, so why all of the sudden would it not work?!  Our local store does carry the Primal Kitchen mayo but I think it tastes terrible compared to homemade.  But mayo is basically the plated fat I use for most meals so I can't stand not having it.  What on earth would make it not work suddenly?

You just described my current mayo life/situation. 2 years of perfect batches just dumping everything in and the past few month it has failed EVERY SINGLE TIME. No change in my method, ingredients, temp of ingredients...so strange! Thankfully it's pretty easy to save a batch by adding another egg/egg yolk otherwise I would give up and just buy pre-made with all the money I'd waste buying extra light tasting olive oil like 3 times a week!

Just now, racheleats said:

You just described my current mayo life/situation. 2 years of perfect batches just dumping everything in and the past few month it has failed EVERY SINGLE TIME. No change in my method, ingredients, temp of ingredients...so strange! Thankfully it's pretty easy to save a batch by adding another egg/egg yolk otherwise I would give up and just buy pre-made with all the money I'd waste buying extra light tasting olive oil like 3 times a week!

So do you just dump another egg in the batch that didn't work or how do you do it?  I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've dumped my batches that failed because I didn't know they could be saved!

14 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Thanks. I will be trying the Curate line soon!

2 hours ago, nicoledawn913 said:

I am assuming no change in ingredients. Are you in an area with really cold weather right now? Perhaps your current room temperature is colder than usual? That's all I can think of. How frustrating! I've never had a batch of mayo mess up either, but I cross my fingers every time anyway!

1 minute ago, diamonds422 said:

Thanks. I will be trying the Curate line soon!

I am assuming no change in ingredients. Are you in an area with really cold weather right now? Perhaps your current room temperature is colder than usual? That's all I can think of. How frustrating! I've never had a batch of mayo mess up either, but I cross my fingers every time anyway!

I'm in Iowa so it is cold, but not near as cold as it was last weekend when I made two batches and it worked perfectly!  No I would say it is more "damp" than it was then, but that's the only thing I can come up with.  It was out of the same egg carton and everything.  My kids thought I was loosing it last night when I yelled because it didn't come together!  :blink:

14 minutes ago, nicoledawn913 said:

So do you just dump another egg in the batch that didn't work or how do you do it?  I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've dumped my batches that failed because I didn't know they could be saved!

Don't be embarrassed I did the same thing! Dump almost all of the failed batch into something you can pour easily, and then crack an egg into the original container with that little bit of failed mayo. Blend that with the immersion blender and then slow drizzle the rest of the mixture!

11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ah, thank you!  I actually prefer the Dasani sparkling waters to La Croix (even tho I still have to go over the border to get either) so I've never tried the mixed flavors.  

When I was looking at the NiCola ones earlier online, I went to see the images and that stinkin' stuff is still clear!  So shady!  I mean I know the 'idea' is to have a healthier version but talk about SWYPO for people with a soda habit!

Dasani strawberry-guava is my favorite! Maybe tied with La Croix peach-pear. Dasani also has a raspberry lemonade one that is great when it's hot outside, but maybe also a little too SWYPO for people who miss juice, etc. The flavor, to me, is reminiscent of actual raspberry lemonade and not raspberries and lemons, if that makes sense. Who knew we'd have to be so careful with sparkling water?? :lol:

5 minutes ago, nicoledawn913 said:

I'm in Iowa so it is cold, but not near as cold as it was last weekend when I made two batches and it worked perfectly!  No I would say it is more "damp" than it was then, but that's the only thing I can come up with.  It was out of the same egg carton and everything.  My kids thought I was loosing it last night when I yelled because it didn't come together!  :blink:

Oh man, that sucks. There is no frustration like a Whole30 cooking fail! I remember the first time made no fuss salmon cakes from the book and put them on foil instead of parchment paper, causing them to stick horribly. I was so frustrated (and hungry since it was 9 p.m.) that I cried. Hope you can salvage the batch with the tip racheleats gave you!

5 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Don't be embarrassed I did the same thing! Dump almost all of the failed batch into something you can pour easily, and then crack an egg into the original container with that little bit of failed mayo. Blend that with the immersion blender and then slow drizzle the rest of the mixture!

I will definitely try that if I have another batch that fails.  Thank you so much!

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

Dasani strawberry-guava is my favorite! Maybe tied with La Croix peach-pear. Dasani also has a raspberry lemonade one that is great when it's hot outside, but maybe also a little too SWYPO for people who miss juice, etc. The flavor, to me, is reminiscent of actual raspberry lemonade and not raspberries and lemons, if that makes sense. Who knew we'd have to be so careful with sparkling water?? :lol:

My fave is the white peach and the mixed berry... I have a stockpile in my cabinet of all the flavors because we can't get them here... it's like a store so I'll go to my store and see if I have strawberry guava... i didn't like the raspberry lemonade one...

Hello all!  I've been eating mostly paleo on and off for a few years but the last year was terrible so I started my first official Whole 30 on January 1st.  Overall it is going pretty well.  I have one thing that's driving me bonkers and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. I have this horrible taste/feeling on my tongue.  I've had it before when I was trying a low carb diet but I'm not skipping carbs now so what's happening?  How do I get rid of it???  Thanks for helping!!!

Hello fellow Day 8ers!  Sorry I've been MIA, but I've tried to post from my phone a couple times and halfway through typing a post, it vanishes.  Today I logged in from my computer and whaddayaknow...I found a half written post.  Just sitting here, ready to be finished.  What. The. Heck.

Anywho...I've found that, so far, this W30 has been a complete breeze compared to my first.  I'm not having cravings and I feel GREAT!  I attribute this to the fact that I was in such a bad place and had packed on so much weight in such a short time that I was absolutely MISERABLE for the past couple of months and I didn't even realize it.  I struggled to find the energy to make dinner, do dishes, fold laundry...pretty much anything that took an ounce of effort. I realize now that I was basically poisoning myself with my terrible choices!  Seriously.  How rude!

And now for the 1/2 written post from day 4...

Just a thought for when you're in a rush and don't have a meal prepped...

Keep a pack of compliant Applegate hotdogs, pepperoni, or salami in your refrigerator, a bag of steamable veggies in your freezer, and a few Larabars in your cupboard.  It's a lifesaver when you're feeling hangry and extra stabby.  :) I was a bit overwhelmed the first 1-2 weeks of my first W30 because I felt like all I did was COOK, but once I realized I didn't have to make a great big fancy meal every night, it really helped.

Keep on keeping on.  We're 1/4 of the way there! :) 

Archived