Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

Hi all!  This will be my 6th Whole 30 - I did it the first time because I am a life-long migraine sufferer, and it has cut my migraines down by about 90% (a true miracle/life-changer!) - and of course it is nice to lose a few pounds along the way.  Would love to follow along/swap recipes/share encouragement with anyone else kicking off the New Year with a W30.  Here's our Day One dinner - I always kick off W30 with this easy one, and I  make a double portion for lunches the next week! In the meantime - happy merry everything!

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My companion and I are aiming for Jan. 2 as well.  So many of our family members have the flu right now that we have rescheduled our Christmas Eve dinner to New Years Eve.  There is sure to be leftovers.  There are always leftovers.  I hope I have enough freezer containers.

And we HAVE to have black-eyed peas on the first.  

I love simply prepared meals.  Not a huge fan of chicken myself.  Could pork chops be substituted for the chicken in these types of recipes?  I usually cook the veggies, adding a salmon filet (from Schwan's) during the last 10 minutes.

Happy Everything

Hi PearlGirl, and so sorry to hear about the flu!  And I hear you about the black-eyed peas on the first...we're starting on the 2nd because our favorite team is playing in the Sugar Bowl, and we are in full indoor tailgate mode. :)

Meantime, I haven't made this recipe with pork, but I don't see why it wouldn't work - I would use boneless chops and an instant read thermometer to make sure it is cooked all the way through.  Tuna (also added in the last 10 minutes) would also be good!

This will be my second W30, also starting on January 2nd.  The first time through I found that Splenda was causing my headaches...well many of them anyway.  I slipped right back into old habits on day 31.  The goal this time is to gradually go back to an 80/20 type of mentality.  My son turns 4 in January, and he is Type 1 Diabetic.  My husband was diagnosed Pre-Type 2 about 4 and a half years ago...but corrected with diet.  Since our son's diagnosis I have been very lax in my cooking and all of us need to improve things.  Here's to a happy healthy future, starting in 2018!

2 hours ago, Framed Cooks said:

So glad to have so many January 2nd W30 Friends!  Here for you, newbies - ask any and all questions!

First, not sure how forums and/or blogs work. I mean, I know what they are, I just have never been a part of any. Mainly just FB groups.  Somewhere,  amongst all the things I have been reading, it said there was a shopping list for the week. And a detailed menu. Any chance you happen to know where that is?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LaVesta said:

First, not sure how forums and/or blogs work. I mean, I know what they are, I just have never been a part of any. Mainly just FB groups.  Somewhere,  amongst all the things I have been reading, it said there was a shopping list for the week. And a detailed menu. Any chance you happen to know where that is?

There's a one week menu in the Whole30 book, and a shopping list that goes with it here.  If you don't have that book, there are four weeks' worth of meal plans available here, along with some other helpful information.  Other people also have meal plans available, if you google Whole30 meal plan you should find some other options, just be sure you read through all the ingredients and recipes carefully to be sure they really are Whole30. 

Hello,

This will be my second Whole 30. I found out about it mid December last year and did my first starting 1/23/17. I am looking forward to starting January 2 when many other start. I do like to cook, but I am so happy the Quick and Easy book was released. One of my goals this time is to put more variety into my meals and to try to have my husband and daughter eat closer to Whole 30 .

16 hours ago, OHMaryF said:

Hello,

This will be my second Whole 30. I found out about it mid December last year and did my first starting 1/23/17. I am looking forward to starting January 2 when many other start. I do like to cook, but I am so happy the Quick and Easy book was released. One of my goals this time is to put more variety into my meals and to try to have my husband and daughter eat closer to Whole 30 .

It's definitely so much easier when someone in the family is doing it too - my husband has been doing it with me. :)

17 hours ago, OHMaryF said:

Hello,

My husband and son will be doing it (give or take) for dinners if nothing else.  I do the vast majority of the cooking  so they don't get a choice!  

Hello!  I'm going to start my first Whole30 on the 2nd as well.  I'm excited to see if I notice a difference in some joint pain I've been having this past year. I've never had to really "diet" before so I'm nervous about sticking to these parameters.  Also, I have a huge sweet tooth - yikes!!  Glad to have you all on the journey with me :)

I’ll be starting my second whole 30 on Jan. 2nd, and I think it’ll actually be harder this time. My first time I had terrible cystic acne and was trying whole 30 as an elimination diet to see if food was effecting my skin. Now, I’m just doing it to reset some of my bad habits I’ve gone back to since July. Without a “medical issue” to do it for, I hope I can stay as committed. I’ll be checking in with you to see how you’re doing. Good luck!

Archived