Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

Funny thing:  I had decided I was going to weigh myself today but I stashed my scale away so carefully when I started on Jan 2 that I can't find it!  It doesn't help that we're having a contractor doing work in our bathroom right now so there is a lot of stuff that is definitely not where it's supposed to be, but I thought it was pretty funny. 

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, MaineacMom said:

We made it!!!  Woo hoo.  :)  My husband has decided he wants to do W30.    He is still reading the W30 book and preparing himself for what lies ahead, so I might just start up again whenever he does. I am looking forward to reintroduction though and seeing how some of these foods (rice, alcohol, sugar) affects my system.

Has anyone tried doing W30 with kiddos?  My beautiful blessings  have their Momma's sugar dragon.  I stopped buying some of the items that they rely on for snacks (yogurt, granola bars) and just stocked up on more fruit and veggies, which they love.   However, I am just noticing how they often want the carbs and sugary stuff and want to help them in that area.  I began with this past shopping trip by not purchasing some of our convenient standbys that have snuck their way back into our lives over the past few years (cereal, crackers, granola bars, store bought yogurt). If you guys have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  :D  Happy Day 1 of reintroduction! 

I know there is a part of the forum for parents and there is some information in the books. My family has eaten the dinners I cook and I am lucky that our daughter loves vegetables. Our daughter ate most of the dinners that I cooked. I did make chili this past weekend with beans as our son was home visiting and he wanted me to make the chili the way I always made it when he was growing up. I separated some out for mine and put beans in the rest.

Our daughter knows I am on Whole 30 and we have spoken some. She is ten so I will see if she wants to do it as much as she can this spring or early summer. I also will see if she wants to try for Lent.  I cannot imagine being in elementary school and saying no when someone brings cupcakes for their birthday. I think for most children, the goal is to make their breakfast and dinner Whole 30 and lunches will depend on if they are packed and the choices at their school. 

19 hours ago, cescaw said:

Funny thing:  I had decided I was going to weigh myself today but I stashed my scale away so carefully when I started on Jan 2 that I can't find it!  It doesn't help that we're having a contractor doing work in our bathroom right now so there is a lot of stuff that is definitely not where it's supposed to be, but I thought it was pretty funny. 

LOL! We have a disreputable scale that belonged to my husband's parents but I don't think it works. I have to go to the doctor early next week, so I will see what it says.

22 hours ago, dianne m said:

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE - WE DID IT!!  And I agree - this forum has been a great support and with the unknowns ahead, I am hoping we can stay in touch.

Cheers all!!  :) :D

finishedwhole30.jpg.09e263e7558cf4699ab459cda01b6966.jpg

For anyone interested in starting again in continuing, starting again mid-February and/or doing Whole Lent, there is a thread about "Whole Lent" for support. 

On 1/17/2018 at 12:06 PM, BeckyB said:

Happy day 16, I'm so pleased that I'm feeling in the swing of "doing it" even having had a cold most of the time.  Definitely feeling less puffy.  I've started considering doing a Whole 60...   I am 55 and it's now or never to get it together!!!

I was home yesterday with the arctic temps and I made Nom Nom Paleo's egg drop soup.  It was SO GOOD AND EASY!  And quick!  I love egg drop soup and this had been on my mind for awhile.  https://nomnompaleo.com/post/129592158903/simple-egg-drop-soup

I also found her Magic Mushroom spice blend at Whole Foods just now, and even a couple of her dishes on the hot bar!  Fun!  

https://nomnompaleo.com/2017/09/06/20170906ready-for-another-whole-foods-takeover

Stay with it everyone!

Is anyone doing another round?  I’m planning to start another on March 5 after we get back from a 14 day road trip to Mexico.  Wondering which forum topic to follow?

I met my goal weight loss of 8 pounds, which seem to be an average, and that coupled with a bunch of NSV makes me even more determined to do another. My sugar dragon’s name is alcohol and while I’m not thinking I am an alcoholic I do feel like my body is telling me it’s an inflamitory and needs more work training it. 

Thanks for all the support this forum has given to everyone, it’s been a lot of fun and I’ve learned so much. Hope to catch up with one or all as I journey.  

Congrats on finishing everyone! So awesome to hear about the NSVs as well as some SVs too!

I also hit an 8 pound weight loss, which if you break it down is an average of 2 pounds per week and that's a healthy, sustainable rate!  I had the advantage of starting to work with a new personal trainer at the start of January so weighed myself at the gym on a scale that also does body composition. In addition to the 8 pounds, I've also lost about 3% body fat (which explains the more comfortable jeans). I've learned from previous journeys that exercise isn't the main weight loss driver for me, it's ALL about the nutrition so that was a big reason for me to choose W30 in the first place....nothing like some serious structure to get myself back on track! :) 

Reintroduction yesterday was with dairy, no issues. Don't really have a desire to add back anything else so I figure I'll continue to take that a day at a time. I never lost the sugar cravings so I'm staying far, far away from sweets! 

1 hour ago, DebCoop109 said:

Reintroduction yesterday was with dairy, no issues. Don't really have a desire to add back anything else so I figure I'll continue to take that a day at a time. I never lost the sugar cravings so I'm staying far, far away from sweets! 

I also reintroduced dairy yesterday and I feel fine.  I'm also going to play it by ear.  :-)

I love reading everyone's success stories!  Super motivating. I reintroduced wine last night... yeah and I still have the headache this evening to prove that! Seems like I need to take that easy for sure. I also had a girl scout cookie today at work since EVERYONE seems to have them around right now.  I just had one, which was enough.  The rest of my food has been compliant buy choice!

Here are some NSVs I've seen over the past month which are pretty huge in and of themselves:

• I'm sleeping better throughout the night
  • I'm going to bed earlier, willingly, instead of watching TV just for the sake of it
  • I feel clear-headed when I wake up in the morning
  • I have zero cravings for unhealthy food, other than wine
  • My resting heart rate has gone down on average around 20 bpm every night, which I think is amazing
  • My moods are more even - fewer ups and downs
  • My stress level is less - even during this completely stressful time of layoffs at work (yeah, it's been a rough week)
  • My self-control has increased by leaps and bounds
  • I am able to be at work and just avoid unhealthy foods
  • I am able to go out and choose healthy foods to eat
  • I am able to go out and not drink wine when others are drinking (not that I like that!)
  • I'm able to cook large dishes and have lots of leftovers for lunches and other dinners
  • I can look at a recipe and figure out how to make it compliant if it's not
  • My sweet tooth when and if it appears can be assuaged by fruit

Sound familiar?

Thank you all for being here!

• Moderators

Congrats to all of you finishers and those coming up on finishing if you started a few days later!

In order to help keep the community tidy but still keep your group together and supporting eachother through reintroduction, we ask that you move the conversation to the Post Whole30/Reintroduction section.  Usually someone will make a thread and then post the link back here for others to join in.  That keeps the forum neat and tidy, it makes the people finishing after you less tempted by the discussion of offplan foods and it doesn't confuse new people coming along who might read this thread from the most recent post and wonder where girl guide cookies fit into the 30 days (fyi to those newbies who might be reading... they don't!).

Thanks in advance for your understanding and if you need a hand making a new thread, let me know! :)

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, LagunaRover said:

I love reading everyone's success stories!  Super motivating. I reintroduced wine last night... yeah and I still have the headache this evening to prove that! Seems like I need to take that easy for sure. I also had a girl scout cookie today at work since EVERYONE seems to have them around right now.  I just had one, which was enough.  The rest of my food has been compliant buy choice!

Here are some NSVs I've seen over the past month which are pretty huge in and of themselves:

• I'm sleeping better throughout the night
  • I'm going to bed earlier, willingly, instead of watching TV just for the sake of it
  • I feel clear-headed when I wake up in the morning
  • I have zero cravings for unhealthy food, other than wine
  • My resting heart rate has gone down on average around 20 bpm every night, which I think is amazing
  • My moods are more even - fewer ups and downs
  • My stress level is less - even during this completely stressful time of layoffs at work (yeah, it's been a rough week)
  • My self-control has increased by leaps and bounds
  • I am able to be at work and just avoid unhealthy foods
  • I am able to go out and choose healthy foods to eat
  • I am able to go out and not drink wine when others are drinking (not that I like that!)
  • I'm able to cook large dishes and have lots of leftovers for lunches and other dinners
  • I can look at a recipe and figure out how to make it compliant if it's not
  • My sweet tooth when and if it appears can be assuaged by fruit

Sound familiar?

Thank you all for being here!

All these are amazing but I really love your second last one!  That's such a huge thing because it opens up a WORLD of recipes of things you may have made previously that you can tailor to your own food plan when you figure out what that is through re-introduction.

On 26/01/2018 at 8:52 PM, ErikaA said:

I went through a bit of this at the end of last weekend into Monday - turns out it was partially because I was getting sick (just started to feel better yesterday afternoon) and also I think my body/hormones are adjusting.  The only advice I can give is to try to stick to it and remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - check your meals to ensure they are in line with the template, try to go to bed a bit earlier to catch up on some sleep, consider adding some extra fats or starchy vegetables, try to limit any excess snacking, especially with sugary-type foods (i.e. bananas, lara bars).  You may also want to post some of your meals for a mod to give some advice?

Good luck!  I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you so much for your reply and sorry for my late response! I think the problem may have been that I increased my exercise, but not my starchy vegetables and fats. So maybe I am simply lacking fuel. I did not abandon my Whole30 and have decided to go for a Whole60 :-)  I still cannot say that I have experienced any real Tiger Blood, but there are definitely a lot of other important NSVs for me. So while a bit of Tiger Blood would be nice, I am still sticking with the program as I truly feel and believe .that it does me a lot of good. Thanks again for your help! 

@SugarcubeOD, I understand I should be on a different thread, but these are the peeps who helped me get through this whole thing, so I am hoping someone will post a link as to where we go from here (on the forum).  I feel a connection to the people I met here.

@LagunaRover - what a great list!  Mine would be very similar, and you touched on some that I didn't even realize.  ....and also a great realization about wine.  That was my plan too.  Wine first and will probably try yogurt next.

I went on a quilting retreat from the 1st-4th and was surrounded by candy, cookies, chocolate, chips, crackers, cheese, (all the dangerous "Cs"), fudge, brownies, the entire time.  I was a nerd and brought a cooler of pre-made meals (although the cafeteria did serve nearly compliant meals and I was able to partake), and my own wine (white, so less sulfites I'm told), and I am happy to say - I was did great!  Not one bite, not one craving for any of the sweets.  No adverse effects from wine.

We went to a nice restaurant for my birthday last night - and I had one celebratory thing off plan  - something delectable that would be totally worth it - and it was - bananas foster bread pudding.  YUM.  It was my choice, I savored every bite and even left some on the plate.  (Who am I??)  No adverse effects, but I want to keep losing weight (down 11 pounds), and know that I can control what I put in my mouth.

Anyway, thank you to all for helping me get through this, and for helping with whatever is to come.  I will keep an eye for a post W30 site where we can meet again. 

Cheers, d

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, dianne m said:

@SugarcubeOD, I understand I should be on a different thread, but these are the peeps who helped me get through this whole thing, so I am hoping someone will post a link as to where we go from here (on the forum).  I feel a connection to the people I met here.

Ya, i totally understand that people like to stick together - here's a thread for your group if you want to all continue reintros together

Archived