Whole30 and SIBO Specific Diet (Low FODMAP and SCD)

Leigh T

For my #January Whole30, I will be doing a SIBO Specific Whole30. Basically, Whole30 + Low FODMAP + SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet).

I have done this once before as part of my treatment plan for SIBO. It's very restrictive and a bit of a battle, but doable. I'm both looking for and willing to offer support to anyone who might be in the same boat.

Are there others with SIBO who might be doing this?

This is so great you are doing this. I know it is quite a challenge and so worth it. I have a friend who has been struggling with SIBO for quite a while now. I would be very happy to hear about what you are eating. She has a lot of trouble staying on the program, gets too hungry. It seems there is some variation on what is acceptable to eat. How are you fitting that with the Whole30?

I was diagnosed with SIBO-C after a breath test at my Gastro's office in October of 2016. After researching the failure rate of antibiotics (70% recurrence), I chose to go the herbal route. For diet, I went with the Perfect Health Diet (Jaminet). Three months later I got the all-clear from my Gastro. 

I say diet, but PHD isn't a diet so much as a way of life (whole foods, grass-fed, grain-free, sugar-free), which I continued to follow even after the all-clear. I make bone broth in batches and turn it into soups, which are my daily lunch. I don't eat breakfast. I practice intermittent fasting - meaning from 8pm to 1pm the next day I don't eat anything. This encourages something called autophagy, which is the body's natural way of ridding itself of the endotoxins produced by the bad bugs in our gut. It also boosts the immune system, which anyone with gut issues needs. For dinner I eat salmon four nights a week. (This is at the suggestion of my Rheumatologist and is really helping my joints. It also helped with constipation and dry eye.) The other nights I usually prepare some chicken recipe, because DH doesn't eat red meat. On fridays we used to celebrate with a GF pizza night, but now that I'm on W30 we do Chipotle takeout. 

I'm back on the W30 forums because like many people who try to eat clean, I fell off the wagon from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and started letting myself have cheese, wine, and stupidly even allowed some sugar. This earned me the return of some of my old symptoms, so I'm here for a restart. This is my third W30 and this is Day 6 for me. I'm sleeping better, having regular BMs, and so far no terrible W30 side effects - which surprises me after all my feasting.

Thank you so much. I have passed this on to my friend who is struggling right now with not being able to stop eating all the wrong foods, and feels very unwell.

I am on Day 11. I am feeling much better in several ways - gut is not inflamed, can see my ankle bones! sleeping better, less brain fog, breathing better, more energy for exercise. And also can feel I am still detoxing - exhausted at end of the day and need to zip my lip to not let sharp words escape when a lot of things irritate me!

I am feeling happy and encouraged with the whole thing, and am looking at making this a long term lifestyle change. Last time I got more extreme towards the end - ketone diet etc. This time I'm not going to do that. I just want to cruise into the sunset eating Whole foods.

Hi! I started on the low FODMAP diet in the fall and it's really cleared up my IBS symptoms. I never got to a strict rechallenge phase with it because - holidays.... Definitely don't think I tolerate onions or garlic at all :(  Anyway, starting my 2nd Whole 30 and hoping for better results this time around. I never had those amazing results for gut health everyone talks about when I did it last time, probably because of the developing IBS. I'm excited to see how it will work with my new restrictions this time, but OMG! Does anyone else find it so tedious to adapt W30 recipes to low FODMAP? I find so many good recipes that have no-go ingredients. Anyone have any good resources for W30 & low FODMAP recipes?

On 1/7/2018 at 9:29 AM, VetChick said:

Hi! I started on the low FODMAP diet in the fall and it's really cleared up my IBS symptoms. I never got to a strict rechallenge phase with it because - holidays.... Definitely don't think I tolerate onions or garlic at all :(  Anyway, starting my 2nd Whole 30 and hoping for better results this time around. I never had those amazing results for gut health everyone talks about when I did it last time, probably because of the developing IBS. I'm excited to see how it will work with my new restrictions this time, but OMG! Does anyone else find it so tedious to adapt W30 recipes to low FODMAP? I find so many good recipes that have no-go ingredients. Anyone have any good resources for W30 & low FODMAP recipes?

I definitely have been finding it somewhat challenging to adapt recipes.  I think that also could be because I love all things garlic and onion. :(  I'm familiar with Whole30 and have done numerous rounds, but low FODMAP is definitely new territory.  I've studied the Whole30 low FODMAP shopping list and done some research online, but it still seems all over the place.  Regardless, now we're in this together! :)

Hi everyone. 

Thanks for starting this thread,LeighT-- I think I need to try exactly what you're doing...I'm on day 15 and have discovered some real painful symptoms happening that I can't quite figure out. I'm wondering if there is a SIBO Specific Whole30 food list? I'm knew to all this, so I'm a bit overwhelmed as to determining which Whole30 shopping list would be the best. Right now, I'm leaning to one I found called the Histamine Intolerance Whole30 food list, but this is only because it seems the most restrictive of all of them!

You are all so amazing to be doing this. I thought the first 15 days were a challenge, but adding in additional restrictions definitely takes things up a notch!

Just Dx w SIBO. Have been sugar, soy, starch, grain, legume, booze, dairy free for 2+ years. Still chubbs. Spent 2016 in wheelchair/bedridden w inflammatory arthritis that came out of nowhere overnight. (Was working on Ebola in W Africa 3 mos prior—eaten alive by bugs but also subsisting on beer, bread, Lara bars, and canned tuna from US.) Have had collagenous colitis for 17 years but docs think it’s a pretend disease despite 5 colon biopsies. Am about to cut out FODMAPS as well as histamines before beginning herbal abx for SIBO treatment. Trying diet first cause I’m on a million drugs and react to everything, including supplements. SCD helped quite a bit, but I’ve never experimented w FODMAPS or histamines which apparently play a huge role in autoimmunity/inflammatory conditions. THANK GOD FOR Y’ALL!! [whole30 power fist emoji]

On 12/29/2017 at 8:41 AM, Leigh T said:

For my #January Whole30, I will be doing a SIBO Specific Whole30. Basically, Whole30 + Low FODMAP + SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet).

I have done this once before as part of my treatment plan for SIBO. It's very restrictive and a bit of a battle, but doable. I'm both looking for and willing to offer support to anyone who might be in the same boat.

Are there others with SIBO who might be doing this?

I would do this with you! I have sibo and been trying to eat low sulfur/low histamine as well.

13 hours ago, ChakraKhan said:

JAm about to cut out FODMAPS as well as histamines before beginning herbal abx for SIBO treatment. 

I took herbals - Atrantil. Google Dr. Pimental, the pioneer of SIBO testing, about what to eat during treatment. He has some curious advice about not restricting diet overly while doing it because it makes the bacteria hide inside biofilms. He says, you want the bacteria to come out and play. Good luck. It sounds like you've been through H*ll.

• 1 month later...

I have IBS, fibromyalgia and a bunch of other things. I’ve been gluten/dairy/corn and soy for a couple years, although I often cheat :( 

I’m going to start my first W30 round after Easter... but I was thinking I should probably do the low FODMAP version. I think tho, that I’ll be on my own, I don’t know anybody who does (or would try) W30 ☹️.  I’m really hoping that I can find the support I need here to stay strong for the whole 30 days. 

Suggestions?

I have fibromyalgia and IBS so I'll need to modify the basic Whole30.

question about the low fodmaps... I've found a couple of lists, but they seem to say that eggs, red pepper and tomatoes are ok... but I thought those were no-nos... feedback please?

• 9 months later...

I just asked about SIBO in my newbie post then just found this thread --- sorry to the moderators. 

I am curious to see how I will feel on the Whole 30 plan. I think it is going to show me the foods that make me feel lousy - even though I have followed a pretty pure diet for a lot of years. 

Archived