Tired on day 27

I am on day 27 and I feel the same way both in the gym and with general energy levels in the afternoon I felt really good about a week ago but have been going downhill since.  My typical day is wake up 6am with a w/o at 8:30-9:15.  I have a glass of lemon water, tea and my pre w/o meal by 7:30-7:45 egg and avocado or 1 tsp nut butter and egg then eat a post w/o or breakfast within 30 min.  Post w/o is 2 oz of a lean protein and a handful serving of a starchy veggie.  Breakfast is typically 3 eggs w/some veggies over some greens and a handful of berries & coconut shreds or 1/2 grapefruit if I don't have coconut 1/2 an avocado is my fat.  Lunch is at 12:30 or 1 either leftovers from night before or a salad w/greens veggies and protein fat source here is usually a handful of nuts or 1/2 an avocado.  Afternoon I usually want a snack or crave 1/2 an apple w/nut butter or something, not sure what to eat here if anything- I have been experimenting w/it over the last 27 days but don't feel like I have been able to dial it in.  I am starving by dinner time and can barely push it off till 6:30 when my husband gets home but this is a well balanced between a protein and lots of veggies I try to add a fat in here either avocado or olives but don't always just depends on what the meal is and if it goes w/it. 

I sleep well w/full 8 hrs every night but I am tired and ready for bed by the time 9pm rolls around (if I am lucky to last that long).  Is this normal? 

• Administrators

Are you approaching or having your period this week? Your food looks decent and if you had great energy last week but not this week, it could account for it.

If you are absolutely starved between lunch and dinner, have a few bites of protein and fat to tide you over. You don't have to suffer.

I am on Day 23 and am in a very similar situation as Lizzard.  I have similar eating habits: three meals not really hungry in between though. Breakfast is usually eggs and sweet potato and healthy fat or sweet potato and apple bake.  Lunch is often leftovers or big salad with 2 eggs, walnuts, and berries with oil and balsamic dressing.  Dinner is vegetables protein and healthy fat.  I am feeling a steady energy throughout the day, not having mid-afternoon slumps, but I am so tired in the morning I can hardly get out of bed.  This was the case before the Whole30 and still is here.  The first time I did the Whole30 I felt much more energy.  My mood is also in the dumps.  I have added in yoga and I am conscious about getting about 7 hours of sleep.  I am wondering what is going on. My goal for this Whole30 was to gain more energy and regulate my eating.  

• Moderators

I don't think you're eating enough @Tucker.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein at a meal are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most people that's 3-4 to start or if they don't want to eat that many eggs, 2 eggs and some leftover protein... so your salad (and I suspect your breakfast) is a bit light on protein.  Whatever the sweet potato/apple bake thing is I"m guessing (and 99.9% I"m right) is not even allowed on the program and is a huge hit of sugar and starch with not much else so leave that be... 

Nutrition is cummulative so it's quite possible that because you're eating enough to not feel ravished between meals but not enough to really fuel yourself properly, your body is reacting with exhaustion and fatigue.  Take another look at the meal template (linked in my signature below) and really try and make your meals match... the recommendations for the program are where the magic (and energy and great mood) is!

Hi guys! I Echoing the above. 

I'm on day 24 of my 3rd or 4th whole30 (accomplished my first back in 2013). This is the first time I've just felt tired throughout. I can barely keep my eyes open much past 9/10pm, and once I hit the bed, sleep pretty solid (maybe wake up once during the night) until 8am. When the alarm goes off, I cannot rise and shine for the life of me--I still feel groggy and wanting to sleep more. 

I eat pretty well three times a day and overall feel pretty satiated--there were a couple instances of rogue added sugars to my iced coffee's almond milk (didn't read the labels as close as I thought), but other than that haven't had any major deviations from the plan.

Have a couple of hypotheses of what's going on: 

1. Got a pretty nasty cold during week one

2. Have an underactive thyroid/Hashimoto's so maybe I need to increase my dosage? (currently waiting to get bloodwork results back--this is work in progress with doctor)

3. Just started my period (I'm on day 2)

I welcome any other feedback--usually I'm walking on air at this point but this time around just feel totally wiped out...

• Administrators

Hi @Jenna Carpenter - I'd say it's probably a pretty solid combination of #1 and #3. Both these things are significant energy-reducers so to speak. Assuming your cold lasted the first whole week, you'd reasonably still be regaining momentum and energy in week 2 and part of week 3. Then the run up to and having your period would be the second half of week three and now this week.

Take it easy, make sure you're eating enough (post your meals if you want feedback) and get some rest if you can.

I am wondering if I can get some feedback on my meal plan.  I feel like I am following it, but I am sure it could use tweaking here and there.  Thanks. 

B: Sweeto potato, half apple, sausage patty

L: Power salad (greens, two eggs, walnuts, tomatoes, berries with balsamic dressing)

D: Cajun Style chicken legs, 2; carrots and peppers cooked 1 cup; salad with balsamic dressing

B: Egg salad with olives; half sweet potato and 1/4 apple

L: Power salad (same as above)

D: Zoodles 2 cups, meat sauce 3/4 cup, salad (greens, quarter apple, tomatoes, balsamic dressing)

B: Sweet potato with either almond butter or avocado slices, half; 

L: Avocado waldorf chicken salad

D: Almond Crusted Pork Piccata, Beet, carrot, zucchini noodles 

• Administrators

How are you feeling between meals? How s your sleep? Mood? Energy?

If say you aren't eating enough but it's hard to tell portions in some of these meals. So, if you're feeling fine and able go 4-5 hours between meals you're probably doing fine. If that's not the case, eat more.

I don't feel hungry between meals.  I am just exhausted in the morning.  So hard to get up and I am getting 7 hours of sleep - 8.5 last night and still felt like I just went to bed.  Also wondered about the sweet potato eating.  I am really tired of eggs for breakfast so tend to eat a lot of sweet potatoes.  However, I am liking egg salad, but wondered about that amount of fat.  Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Tucker said:

I don't feel hungry between meals.  I am just exhausted in the morning.  So hard to get up and I am getting 7 hours of sleep - 8.5 last night and still felt like I just went to bed.  Also wondered about the sweet potato eating.  I am really tired of eggs for breakfast so tend to eat a lot of sweet potatoes.  However, I am liking egg salad, but wondered about that amount of fat.  Thanks. 

Sweet potatoes in the morning *could* be effecting your energy levels throughout the day, and some of those meals look a little low on protein to me - one breakfast has no protein at all. Maybe try leaving your starchy veg until meal three & load up on non starchy veg in the am? And increase your protein too. The body needs protein to recover so it's possible that if you're not eating enough that the body is prioritising sleep in order to recover fully.

Archived