Already gluten-, soy- and dairy-free... GOODBYE SUGAR!

captainninjapeters

Hey guys! I am so excited to be starting my first Whole30 tomorrow! I have been gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free for the last few years due to my diagnoses of Celiac and multiple food allergies. Almost as soon as I eliminated those foods and began to heal, I started to gain weight. Over the last 3 years of grad school I have gained 30 pounds despite preparing beautiful, healthy meals at home. It's what I snack on. It's the sugar. OMG it's absolutely the sugar! Mostly artificial (2L of Diet Mtn Dew a day) but the craving is always there. Enough is enough. That dragon is going down!!

Woot! Day 1 done. Watched my fiancee pour my remaining Diet Mtn Dew down the drain this morning. :( I survived. Obviously. :P

Today's noms!!:

Breakfast: Char Siu (Well Fed) stir-fry with mushrooms, zucchini, squash, carrots, hard-boiled eggs and "Best stir-fry sauce ever" (Well Fed).

Lunch: Banana with a tablespoon of almond butter.

Dinner: Scrambled eggs with grilled chicken, black olives, cilantro salsa, guac. Sides of green beans and baby carrots.

Lots of tea and seltzer water. :ph34r:

Day 2 finished. I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache that has come and go all day long. Pilates helped but not as much as the Pad Thai (Well Fed) I had for dinner. Again, soooo good.

NOMS:

Breakfast: Jicama-bison hash with roasted bell peppers and shallots (Well Fed). I also ordered ISWF today. More recipes!

Lunch: Banana with almond butter. Hard-boiled egg with guac. Baby carrots. Almonds. Kind of grazed this afternoon. :wacko:

Dinner: Pad Thai!!!!! Spaghetti squash and chicken version.

Lots of tea and seltzer water. :ph34r:

Day 3 complete! Has everyone started acting crazy or is it just me? wink

Workout: Body Flow

NOMS:

Breakfast: 2 eggs. Mashed sweet potato with coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove (this was tasty!).

Lunch: Guac and baby carrots. Grilled chicken breast with a super-spicy Whole 30-friendly sauce my fiancee made on the fly.

Dinner: Meatza! Banana with almond butter. Almond milk (found one at WF without carrageenan).

Tea, seltzer water and a LONG nap. :ph34r:

Day 4 done. Day 4 was HARD. I came up with a mental list of all the foods I am going to eat on Day 31, a large number of which I am flat out allergic to and haven't eaten in years (Cherry Pop Tarts). I thought about all the junk food that I would have eaten in the last 4 days and haven't. This made me feel slightly proud but mostly doubtful that a diet like this will be sustainable for me long-term. pout. But, hey, that's why I am doing this. So that I learn to eat to feed my body rather than my emotions/hormones/boredom.

Workout: Yoga

NOMS:

Breakfast: Jicama-bison hash on a bed of spinach.

Lunch: 2 eggs. Guac. Baby carrots.

Dinner: Beef, coconut-curry over spaghetti squash.

Tea, La Croix. :ph34r:

Day 5: Back to work today. I was once again struck by how much junk/snack food I would normally eat in this situation. At the end of the day, I was definitely less tired, my back wasn't aching and my feet were not swollen. Yay yoga! Yay Whole30? Maybe?

Breakfast: 2 eggs, ground beef, salsa

Lunch: Chipotle! carnitas, guac, pico, lettuce bowel

Dinner: Char Siu with red cabbage and bell peppers (VERY GOOD!)

Tea. Water. Gonna go broke if I keep drinking so much La Croix. :ph34r:

Day 6: Hardest day so far but finished, done, clean, and happy. Classes and regular job start up again tomorrow... will be interesting to see how my Whole30 stands up to the real world. It will be fine. I am prepared.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, ground beef, salsa

Lunch: Meatza!, side of-spaghetti squash, zucchini, squash, mushrooms and carrots, banana

Snack: (Don't normally do this but today was rough)-- kale chips!!! soooo good

Snack 2: eep! macadamia nuts

Dinner: Spaghetti squash, ground beef, green beans, black olives, marinara

Tea, Water, La Croix :ph34r:

Day 9!!

Workout: Yoga Stretch

Breakfast: egg whites, basil, marinara, black olives

Lunch: BORA BORA FIREBALLS!!! squash, zucchini, mushroom, carrot, garlic stirfry

Dinner: macadamia nuts, kale chips, baby carrots, guac, grilled chicken

Post-workout: grilled chicken and guac, sauteed vegetable mix

Espresso x1, Tea, Le Croix :ph34r:

Day 10: Paleo is yummy.

Workout: Body Pump

Breakfast: Bora Bora Fireballs. No regrets.

Lunch: Omelet with zucchini, mushrooms, squash, carrots, green beans and shallot topped with guac and salsa. Sweet potato with coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. :D

Post Workout: Grilled chicken and guac.

Dinner: Green beans topped with ground beef and marinara. Banana nut squash with coconut milk and cinnamon.

Fluids. :ph34r:

Please enlighten me as to what a bora bora fireball is... ;)

I tried to find the recipe for you. No luck. Bora Bora Fireballs come from the cookbook Well Fed. The author has some of her recipes posted on her blog site...theclothesmakethegirl. Anywho....

They are delightful, yummy meatballs filled with jalapeno and spices, then coated with coconut flakes. The recipe calls for pork but I was craving chicken nuggets so... I made them with chicken. They are even good cold. I have no shame. I will probably make another batch during my next cookup.

Check out Well Fed. It is definitely my favorite cookbook ever. Aside from ridiculously good recipes it teaches you how to do most of your cooking for the week in one day so you don't spend your entire Whole30 (or paleo life) in the kitchen.

Day 11: LONG WEEK. LONG DAY. Gonna watch some tv on the couch until I fall asleep. :P

Breakfast: eggs with sauteed veggies and guac

Lunch: chicken salad (I always use our homemade mayo btw) with green beans

Snack: kale chips, grilled chicken with guac, pistachios (I need to bring something with me when I am out and about, I can only find nuts when I am starving and without food)

Dinner: tuna salad with cabbage, tomato, roasted bell pepper.. sides of banana nut squash and green beans

More fluids :ph34r:

Day 12: Excited for my cookup tomorrow! We're going to make chocolate chili, scotch eggs and brine some chicken. NOM!

Workout: Body Attack, Yoga Stretch

Breakfast: eggs, sweet potato, chicken and guac

Lunch: tuna, salad, homemade creamy italian dressing (Well Fed), strawberries with coconut milk

Snack: pistachios, more strawberries,

Dinner: sweet potato, chicken, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot and tomato curry

Need more fluids! :ph34r:

Day 13!! Mostly done with our cookup. Chocolate chili is super good! I added some hot sauce to mine but my fiance was relieved to have a flavorful chili that doesn't make him tear up. :D We made a double batch= backup noms in the freezer! The scotch eggs are really yummy, too.... we didn't use pork rinds so they are missing the crunch on the outside. For some reason I want to coat these with Cooler Ranch Doritos but, well, I got this Whole30 thing going on sooo...

Our chicken is still brining... !!!

Breakfast: eggs, ground beef, sauteed veggie mix

Lunch: grilled chicken, guac, salad with homemade dressing

Taste test: half a scotch egg

Dinner: Chocolate chili with coconut almond green beans!

Grapefruit La Croix is my favorite this week :ph34r:

Archived