Day 1 today...any other guys in?

Medicman627

Hey, I'm Tom, 43, and starting my 2nd Whole 30. I did one a few years ago, but looking back, I don't think it was a true Whole 30, probably more of a 80% 30. Anyhow, my wife and I are in with the Worlds Biggest Whole 30. Much more focus on the details this time around. I've been looking at the forum and there appears to be much more female posters on here. Is it just me? Anyhow, I stepped on the scale this am and was surprised and disgusted to see that I am about 15lbs heavier than I thought I was. Sadly I'm about 40lbs heavier than I was in May. I work for Fire/Rescue as a Flight RN/Medic, so my real goal is to fit nicely in my size 44 flight suit. Right now I'm a little snug while sitting in a size 46. Unsure if I'll be able to meet that goal by 2/1, but if not, I'll have it shortly thereafter. I plan on following Crosfit Football for training. Nowhere near RX weights/reps yet. I plan on scaling to a level that allows me to work out the next day. Actually, I started the workouts on Christmas, just to get the body moving a bit. Having a home gym helps. My biggest problem will be at work. Firehouse food is lots of carby crap. I've let the crews know that I'm out as far as dinners go. The guys aren't thrilled because now paying for dinners will be split 5 ways, not 6. They're calling it the "Tom Tax." Oh well. I also have a driver/operator class that I'll be taking over the next month. That will take a lot of discipline and pre-planning as far as meals and workout's go. But it's all what I signed up for. Knowing is half the battle.... Should be an interesting 30 days.

Hi Tom

There's some guys here. I'm a 56 YO volunteer fire chief in Canada. I'm on my second W30. Dropped 30 pounds and got fire-fit again last year starting with a W30 in May. Good luck with your goals.

Kirk

No real difficulties yet. Just have to stop walking to the fridge when bored. Caught myself doing that a few times yesterday and today. Had a screaming headache last night at work. Although I really don't get them often, I'm not surprised of he timing on this one. Usually if I get a headache at work, I'll simply pop 8 baby aspirin and it's all taken care of (we only carry baby ASA at work). I caught myself before doing so, I'm sure there's some type of Nasty McEvil sweeteners in baby aspirin. Still have a slight headache today, but less than yesterday. Hoping it'll be gone tomorrow. Stay strong out there!!!!

Not a guy, but another EMS person here. My fiance' is also W30ing this month... but he doesn't post.

Sharing food at work is rough... any chance the guys could hold the bread/flour/sugar to the side? You could have a hamburger with no bun. I've put spaghetti sauce on top of cut up lettuce (but watch for sugar in the sauce). Omelets might be a good one too...

Good luck! Keep us updated. Be safe.

Archived