4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

4 hours ago, dnewc said:

I'm jumping onboard too for day one of my 5th (or maybe 6th?) round of whole30. I haven't done any prep yet so will be stopping by trader joe's after work today for some staples. Breakfast was 2 eggs with sauteed mushroom and asparagus. I have a bunch of veggies but need to get compliant proteins and start to plan a little...

I really need to clean up my diet to battle joint pain and inflammation, itchy skin and some digestive issues. They always seem to come right back if I am not careful about what I eat. 

What an active fun group! 

Yayyy, @dnewc! Now we’re really talking about experienced! Thanks so much for joining our army of Whole30 soldiers! I get the very same issues you get when I go awry in my nutrition but I’ve never totally cleaned it up before so this is exciting. There are some Trader Joe’s around here and I had debated about giving them a try for Whole30. Now I know I will! So glad you are here. Really! Be encouraged as you have encouraged me!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LizaQ said:

I was all set to start tomorrow but I have been sick and am still taking cough medicine at night. Last night I tried to skip it but I gave in at about 1am as I was keeping my husband and myself up. The ingredient list has high fructose corn syrup, among other things. I've looked at a few sugar-free options, but they had saccharin or aspartame.

My husband thinks that I should wait a few more days till I am better enough to sleep. I'm bummed but I don't see how I can start if I know I'll be taking something like that for a few more days? I'll check in every day and see how you are all doing and let you know when I start. I'm hoping by Thursday!!

@LizaQ, so glad you checked in! Get yourself well and be gentle with yourself. Grace. We’ll still be here when you are healed enough and we’ll be rooting for you! Get better!

5 hours ago, LizaQ said:

I was all set to start tomorrow but I have been sick and am still taking cough medicine at night. Last night I tried to skip it but I gave in at about 1am as I was keeping my husband and myself up. The ingredient list has high fructose corn syrup, among other things. I've looked at a few sugar-free options, but they had saccharin or aspartame.

My husband thinks that I should wait a few more days till I am better enough to sleep. I'm bummed but I don't see how I can start if I know I'll be taking something like that for a few more days? I'll check in every day and see how you are all doing and let you know when I start. I'm hoping by Thursday!!

Hey LizaQ, you can still clean up your eating habits and get yourself "in the mode" even though you still need your nighttime meds. Or use the time to get a jump on meal prep. The time won't be wasted. :)

40 minutes ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

Yayyy, @dnewc! Now we’re really talking about experienced! Thanks so much for joining our army of Whole30 soldiers! I get the very same issues you get when I go awry in my nutrition but I’ve never totally cleaned it up before so this is exciting. There are some Trader Joe’s around here and I had debated about giving them a try for Whole30. Now I know I will! So glad you are here. Really! Be encouraged as you have encouraged me!

You've never been to a Trader Joe's and there are some near you?? :o I consider Trader Joe's a life line. They have ghee, too, btw.

They have soooo many compliant convenience foods too. http://www.foodandwine.com/syndication/whole-30-products-at-trader-joes

If any of you haven't checked out www.nomnompaleo.com, you should get right on that. She has a ton of W30 recipes and even shared her personal W30 diary, complete with her menus. SO inspirational!

I'm cooking her Spicy Pineapple Pork tomorrow for dinner. 

1 minute ago, Aud1 said:

If any of you haven't checked out www.nomnompaleo.com, you should get right on that. She has a ton of W30 recipes and even shared her personal W30 diary, complete with her menus. SO inspirational!

Oh my goodness, spicy pineapple pork?!?! Yummmmm. On it haha!

46 minutes ago, Aud1 said:

You've never been to a Trader Joe's and there are some near you?? :o I consider Trader Joe's a life line. They have ghee, too, btw.

They have soooo many compliant convenience foods too. http://www.foodandwine.com/syndication/whole-30-products-at-trader-joes

Oh no, I’ve been to Trader Joe’s but never checked them out for compliance with Whole30 products. Love, love, love, the article you referenced! It will be my first stop tomorrow. Thank you so very much for sharing that @Aud1! Super pumped!

How did everyone do today? Did everyone jump on board that intended to? While we got some awesome new folks I think we haven’t heard from some earlier ones. Zero pressure here, just would love to know how you are doing!

I feel good about my start when I can’t truly stock up on supplies that I’d like until tomorrow. I made good compliant Whole30 choices throughout the day and now we’re to evening here in New Mexico. Feeling really pumped today. Didn’t feel well because I overindulged yesterday, but today hit the mark! 

I really enjoy this forum and hearing updates from you all. Keep them coming!

I did buy the Whole30 Day by Day and recommend it if that kind of accountability, record keeping, and suggestions help you, the way they do me.

Until a bit later... Dianne 

Wrapping up day 2. Yesterday's meal prep marathon was super helpful, though I do need to get faster at the prep, so I'll have more weekend free time. Felt great today, but towards end of the day felt a little tired and maybe a little bit cranky. Seems like my body/brain is starting to miss the simple carbs, esp. sugar, 48 hours in. But the beauty of Whole 30 is the simplicity and clear cut rules. Just proteins, veg, healthy fats and some fruit. So a few temporary, if annoying, side effects coming off of sugar seems doable, though challenging. For all y'all who started today: congrats and cheers for many more days of healthy eating!

1 hour ago, Aud1 said:

Hey LizaQ, you can still clean up your eating habits and get yourself "in the mode" even though you still need your nighttime meds. Or use the time to get a jump on meal prep. The time won't be wasted. :)

I made a W30 meal tonight- sort of. Roasted root vegetables (white potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic) with seasoning and avocado oil - delicious. My husband and daughter gave it 2 thumbs up! Seared chicken breasts - perfect. But - I didn't get in that extra fat. If I had made a salad I could have had a dressing on it. Or if I had made broccoli I could have had it with ghee. But I pooped out and didn't want to cook or eat any more.

And I plan to drop a few things tomorrow anyway - dairy, legumes, soy. I already have my meal plans for the week!

On 4/1/2018 at 9:34 AM, ToddMS said:

My wife and I will be starting our first w30 tomorrow. We got the books and had planned on starting at 1/1 but “something” always got in the way. Looking to this forum for ideas.

Planning on making some hard boiled eggs for breakfast and making some frozen chicken breasts for lunches. Lunches will be hardest for me as I usually just pop a microwave meal in with chips and a soda. 

My wife has read the books and is currently looking through one of the cookbooks for dinner ideas. Wish us luck. 

I know what you mean about lunches being hard.  I have found that lunches take organization! As it says in the book, planning and prep.  I make a double batch of perfect sausages using chicken mince on special at the supermarket and they are easy to take as part of a protien salad.  I am going to try to always make extra at night's so that I have something for lunch next day.

So encouraging reading this topic line! I'm smack in the middle of day 1 and organised for the rest of the week.  It's just beginning to get colder here in New Zealand so I will soon be looking for ideas other than salads and I'm pleased that the book has lots of good suggestions. Will check out Nomnom Paleo as well. We can totally do this!

1 hour ago, Aud1 said:

Thank you @Aud1 for the link above and the trader joe’s Article. Do you like the nom nom paleo app? 

28 minutes ago, LizaQ said:

I made a W30 meal tonight- sort of. Roasted root vegetables (white potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic) with seasoning and avocado oil - delicious. My husband and daughter gave it 2 thumbs up! Seared chicken breasts - perfect. But - I didn't get in that extra fat. If I had made a salad I could have had a dressing on it. Or if I had made broccoli I could have had it with ghee. But I pooped out and didn't want to cook or eat any more.

And I plan to drop a few things tomorrow anyway - dairy, legumes, soy. I already have my meal plans for the week!

Great suggestions @Aud1 and great job doing what you can, and doing it well @LizaQ!

5 hours ago, suzannes said:

Wrapping up day 2. Yesterday's meal prep marathon was super helpful, though I do need to get faster at the prep, so I'll have more weekend free time. Felt great today, but towards end of the day felt a little tired and maybe a little bit cranky. Seems like my body/brain is starting to miss the simple carbs, esp. sugar, 48 hours in. But the beauty of Whole 30 is the simplicity and clear cut rules. Just proteins, veg, healthy fats and some fruit. So a few temporary, if annoying, side effects coming off of sugar seems doable, though challenging. For all y'all who started today: congrats and cheers for many more days of healthy eating!

Excellent job, @suzannes! I found your post to be very encouraging and yet realistic! Hats off to you, you’re doing fantastic! I know I have to get faster at meal prep too so that all of my day isn’t used up. I can sure see how a little cranky may be coming my way too. I’d did well on day one only need to incorporate even more veggies and protein sources. Really didn’t eat all that much but felt more full and satisfied longer. I’m happy. Tomorrow is when I plan and go food shopping so it will be a busy but fun one. Cheers to you as well my friend!! Smile.

9 hours ago, KelK95 said:

Day 1 was a success! I didn't pack enough for lunch. Does anyone have any good lunch suggestions or resources?

Day 1 for me was approved tuna and mayo, salad with a variety of vegetables and banana for fruit. For my wife, still searching for a dressing, not a fan of a vinegar / vinaigrette, opted to make a pot of chicken / vegetable soup over the weekend. She went with an approved broth over the weekend, but next weekend we will probable make the broth using a 4-5lb chicken as indicated in the book, the chicken would be for lunches through the week. Today I went for soup / salad combination with a fruit mix of blackberries/strawberries/fresh mint. The rest of the week will be a combination of chicken breast / vegetable, maybe chicken salad / bacon / salad, and tuna /salad again. The plan later tonight is to make a ranch dressing. Good Luck!!

Archived