Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Did you write down your goals before you started? Pull them out. If you didn't, try real hard to remember why you went down this path. What did you want for yourself? All you have to do is get through today. Tomorrow is a new day and you can tackle those challenges with the same fight that has gotten you this far. Think ahead to day 31. What do you want to be able to say you accomplished? How do you want to feel then about yourself? You can do this, I know you can. We all can if we want it badly enough. You can go simple with your meals and still stay compliant. Hang in there!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please someone talk me down off the ledge....

I love what Run4fun said here. Great thoughts.

I'm sorry about your frustrations tonight. I know this is a challenging path. I've caught myself enviously eyeing cars lined up at the drive-through at the end of the day as I go home from a long day at the office to chop and cook some more.

A few questions for consideration. No right answer here, just might be worth a pause before making a decision:

• What would you be giving up by ditching the Whole 30 this week?
  • What would it mean to you to complete the Whole 30? Emotionally... spiritually... in terms of your relationship with yourself?
  • On a really practical level, is there something really kind you can can do for yourself this week as you're on the Whole 30? (Maybe you loosen up a little — you microwave some frozen veggies and diced chicken for a meal, so you can have a night off from hard core cooking. Or maybe you flat-out ask your husband to cook a meal for you.)

I know this is not easy for a lot of us. I reached this very same place you've described this weekend. (I call it Nihilism Corner.) Counting those stupid Weight Watchers points starts to sound like a walk in the park!

I do want to point out and celebrate that you've already successfully navigated this challenge for two weeks, which is a huge deal. Your body has already had two weeks of holiday from the foods it struggles to process. I'm guessing your body would LOVE another two weeks of clean eating.

Hang in there. You have lots of company on this road. It may not feel like it because we're all in different parts of the world, but we're right there with you.

Saturday night I was at my mom's and I pulled out her coconut milk. I asked her if it was any good and she was offended. I know my mom, so I smelled it, then I took a drink. GAG GROSS MOLD taste. I drank black coffee. :) I could have had one of her fancy creamers. I wanted one of her fancy creamers, and a poptart, the nasty frosted kind, cause it was at her house sittng there. She always has left overs, good healthy ones, (and a few tempting yummy ones) But she had no cooked food. Instead I made a crazy dinner out of canned chicken, canned olives and canned water chestnuts with some salsa. But she had macadamea nuts and that was a treat. Yes I wished they were wrapped around a cookie with white chocolate chips. Then I went over to a friends house and everyone was drinking coctails and I drank another glass of water.

I could have had all those things. And so could you. And you could go to a restruant and have a big ole mac and cheese sandwich. or fries, or whatever you want. But you won't. Why? You are tough. Thats a lot of hours cupcake. And any woman who is tough enough to work that many shifts, Is tough enough to throw a chicken in the crock pot, and tough enough to hang tough. Boil a dozen eggs, Eat a resturant meal. Just make it a steak and salad. No cheese.

You got this. You take care of everyone. Now take care of you!

I know this is not easy for a lot of us. I reached this very same place you've described this weekend. (I call it Nihilism Corner.) Counting those stupid Weight Watchers points starts to sound like a walk in the park!

I do want to point out and celebrate that you've already successfully navigated this challenge for two weeks, which is a huge deal. Your body has already had two weeks of holiday from the foods it struggles to process. I'm guessing your body would LOVE another two weeks of clean eating.

Hang in there. You have lots of company on this road. It may not feel like it because we're all in different parts of the world, but we're right there with you.

I actually eyeballed the Weight Watchers and wondered if it might be easier than what I'm doing right now. Ultimately will it fix the things I'm hoping to fix? No. I'm trying to take solace in the changes I have seen, and maybe for me the weight loss was more important than I wanted to admit. My clothes aren't fitting looser. I don't see any changes. I'm trying to keep my mind on the little wins I've had so far, and keep my eye on what the end result might be.

You are not alone, jtota!

I have had Chipotle a LOT but I've kept myself on track somehow. Just giving myself permission for that one thing that isn't quite perfect the way I want to do my Whole30.. and we cannot be perfect right?

jtota, it is JUST a thing and right this minute it is just for 30 days. You can do it.

Keep it simple. Simple may be boring, but it is only food and you only need it for nourishment. What do you have in your refrigerator/freezer/pantry right now? I'll help you come up with some easy meals, if you want.

It WILL be worth it.

Hi everyone!

can I join this thread even though I started Jan 14 (not 13)? looks like you guys have a lot of posts and active members here...I am looking to join in for support and learn more. I am on day 2 and doing great so far! I feel amazing and totally 100% on plan. I can't wait to get the book "well fed" to whip up some yummy meals this weekend. So far I've been sticking to the basics, meat, salads, veggies, etc...so easy to eat this way really. Hardest thing was not having my glass (or 2) of red wine last wine while watching the batchelor (my guitly pleasure) But I woke up this morning feeling great, flatter tummy, no bloat and overall feeling so much than I did yesterday morning. (after a weekend carb and wine fest in preparation for starting whole 30)

A background on me- I'm 35, married with 2 young girls (age 1 and 3) I work full time in a busy career. My husband is doing the whole30 with me. My goal is to lose some weight, get off my nightly wine habit and get back into the gym. Would love to lose 10-15 pounds and overall just get back into a healthy lifestyle. Too much partying and unhealthy eating over the holidays. I look forward to connecting with everyone on here:)

Ainsley xo

Thanks so much everyone! You are all so wonderful and I'm so glad we have this forum for support. I made it through last, ate some fruit and nuts, and raw veggies for dinner, then went to bed.

jtota, it is JUST a thing and right this minute it is just for 30 days. You can do it.

Keep it simple. Simple may be boring, but it is only food and you only need it for nourishment. What do you have in your refrigerator/freezer/pantry right now? I'll help you come up with some easy meals, if you want.

It WILL be worth it.

You are so right here. It is JUST nourishment. I realized this at 5:00 this morning when I woke up ready to start the day again,when I used to sleep in until 11:00 amd still be tired. I am healing. And it's happening way faster then I thought. The shift I picked up today was cancelled this morning and that brought some relief, which made me realize something very important. I use food as "relief". If I get stressed or pissed off I eat junk and I didn't have that as an option last night. I was stressed with no sugar to reach for. So I wasn't frustrated with the new food. I was frustrated with work and mad cause I couldn't grab some tootsie rolls at the gift shop as I left, or stop for some ice cream. Wow. So much work to do.

Thanks again everyone. You are all AWESOME!

jtota, what a great internal revelation!

For me, I woke up this morning feeling as if my stomach is smaller on the inside. I felt like this a few days ago and told my husband, "If I didn't have a mirror, I'd think I had a flat stomach!" I'm wearing pants that fit the tiniest bit better, which is encouraging.

Last Wednesday, I went to the doctor and had some bloodwork taken (for the tingling hands and dry spots on my skin that started AFTER I started the Whole30, somehow). I still haven't received the results, so I'm gonna call later today.

Last night, I made this spinach & artichoke dip as well as the Cinnamon Beef Stew with Orange Gremulata from Well Fed. I liked the flavor of the stew a lot. My husband hated the orange gremulata on top, lol. I bet the stew will taste even better tonight; looking forward to it.

Lately, I've been drinking green tea with a little coconut milk in it. This is DIVINE! Glad I finally remembered to bring some coconut milk to work.

I use food as "relief". If I get stressed or pissed off I eat junk and I didn't have that as an option last night. I was stressed with no sugar to reach for.

First, so glad that you were able to ride out the frustrations yesterday and stay with the plan!

Second, I'm struck by the great insight you offered above. It really resonates for me. I feel like I'm in detox this month from a very powerful drug (sugar). During week 2, stresses and frustrations hit me a LOT harder — because I didn't have my "drug" at my disposal. Getting away from those coping behaviors really requires you to meet yourself in a totally different way. It's a fascinating process and I'm really glad you got this bit of clarity about what was happening.

Finally, I'm glad that extra shift got cancelled today — hope you get to have some chill time in that space instead!

Well done!!

jtota, last night I skewered some chicken, onions, and peppers and broiled them in a 450 oven for 20 minutes (flipping once halfway through) - done. I also mashed a yam with some ghee (to make sure I had enough fat and carb in the meal) while the chicken and veg were broiling. One of the simplest and easiest meals I've made yet on the Whole 30. I don't work near what you work, both stress- and hours-wise, but I feel you on wanting this to be simpler.

NatPatBen, I feel you, too, on wanting this to be cheaper. We've already gone through our grocery budget for the month, and it's a good thing I have a bunch of meat in the freezer, because I need to be a cheapskate the rest of January. Not sure how I'll work it out, but I will.

Hardest thing was not having my glass (or 2) of red wine last wine while watching the batchelor (my guitly pleasure) Ainsley xo

Girl, I hear you! I watch that, too, and usually with a big glass of wine - totally my ritual. I miss it, too. I had a cup of tea last night. Not the same!!

I still didn't sleep well last night, although this time I attribute that to the cup of tea I just mentioned, because I got up to visit the bathroom twice instead of my usual once. Back to no liquids after 8PM for me. :)

Lately, I've been drinking green tea with a little coconut milk in it. This is DIVINE! Glad I finally remembered to bring some coconut milk to work.

Oooh! I'm going to have to try that!

I've gone a little nuts with dried fruit & nuts lately. I've found they are almost as addictive as sugar & grains to me so I have to just say no for the 2nd half of our Whole30.

I have had to be careful even with fresh fruit. It's been hard not to reach for that Larabar.

A background on me- I'm 35, married with 2 young girls (age 1 and 3) I work full time in a busy career. My husband is doing the whole30 with me. My goal is to lose some weight, get off my nightly wine habit and get back into the gym. Would love to lose 10-15 pounds and overall just get back into a healthy lifestyle. Too much partying and unhealthy eating over the holidays. I look forward to connecting with everyone on here:)

Welcome Ainsley! Yay, another mom here. :) My kids are 5 and 2.

You are so right here. It is JUST nourishment. I realized this at 5:00 this morning when I woke up ready to start the day again,when I used to sleep in until 11:00 amd still be tired. I am healing. And it's happening way faster then I thought. The shift I picked up today was cancelled this morning and that brought some relief, which made me realize something very important. I use food as "relief". If I get stressed or pissed off I eat junk and I didn't have that as an option last night. I was stressed with no sugar to reach for. So I wasn't frustrated with the new food. I was frustrated with work and mad cause I couldn't grab some tootsie rolls at the gift shop as I left, or stop for some ice cream. Wow. So much work to do.

I totally identify with this and I wonder if it had something to do with how I was feeling yesterday/last night. I've decided to take on some additional work with my daughter's meals as she's become very grumpy, constantly eats (but only sweet things like frozen blueberries or even frozen peas which still have some sweet to it) when she gets home from school (never feeling full), and now she's getting in trouble at school for talking all the time and not listening (something we struggle with at home, too). I recognize that I'm not on the rollercoaster of food making me feel bad then I have no energy and snap at everyone. I think yesterday was the most difficult day yet while on this journey. I let the kids get some yogurt covered raisins as we left Trader Joe's (getting nuts so I could make some Elana's Pantry non-grain but bready foods to trick them ;)) and man oh man I wanted some.

Cupcake (I hope you don't mind me calling you that, but it makes me smile!)....you beat me to an idea I just had about 20 minutes ago while I was on a conference call. I think we should each offer up our easiest throw together meal for Jtota. This is a sister/brotherhood after all!

OK, so mine is - turkey burgers - mixed with some diced bell peppers and onions, salt/pepper, garlic powder, and cut up chipotle peppers grilled on an indoor grill. Sliced avocado on the side and a big ol' pile of sauted cabbage (with salt/pepper, coriander or tarragon) or a side salad. I can throw that together in 20 minutes without a problem. I always make extras so I have at least one additional meal out of it.

Please someone talk me down off the ledge. We have made it this far but tonight I am feeling like I wanna give up for some reason. I got persuaded to work 6 12 hr shifts (5 of them in a row) this week and I am feeling like this is too much all the sudden. I am tired and I don't wanna cook and I just want the rest of the week to be simple. I just wanna go to the cafeteria and eat something without worrying about what's in it or without lugging my cooler around. I have this nagging thought that "yeah it works, but its not worth the stress." What is going on?! I was feeling so good and enthusiastic and I haven't changed anything. Threw out a whole pack of chicken tonight that was bad despite the date on the package. That makes me so mad! Ugh, I'm frustrated Help!

Stay with us. I'm feeling a bunch of overwhelm right now and find myself thinking less about how to do Whole30 right. I haven't decided to give up though. I hope you can stick out this moment and be there a the end of the month to celebrate.

I don't know if this works for you. It can for me. When I start feeling that way, I have to take some time - 5 minutes sometimes is all it takes - to simply sit with what I'm feeling. I sit where I have no distractions, think about what's bugging me, close my eyes, and then see what comes up. Where do I feel the unease in my body? What does that feel like? What comes up in my mind? Do I get a rush of all the things I have to do? Do I see an image of me going face first into a big peace of birthday cake? Then I ask what it's all about. Maybe I just feel overwhelmed (like I do). So, how else can I deal with than other than indulging - and act that will make me feel even worse when it's over.

Did that make any sense?

Please let me know how I can support you, jtota.

Oops...I came to the party, didn't I. I've had trouble getting here to read and write. I have 10 gallons of work to fit into a 5 gallon bucket. I keep trying to get a bigger bucket. Not happening so far. Anyway, jtota, I'm so glad to read you made it through your moment. It was great that you wrote about it and then were rallied around by this wonderful group.

My easy go-to meal is to throw a whole xyz in the crockpot (a chicken, a roast) in the morning, add a can of coconut milk, a bag of baby carrots, and some dried stuff (I have a mix of dried onions & bell peppers). Come home & voila! Add salt & pepper & hot sauce to taste.

Speaking of... about to go have that for lunch now.

Naquared,

Thanks for your post. I will try to incorporate your break idea into my work days. I wish I had more time to meditate but its one of those things that always gets pushed aside.

NatPatBen ,

I like your crockpot idea, sounds like a curry almost, which I have been to chicken to try to make. Maybe I'll get adventurous and pull out the Well Fed curry recipe this weekend.

I totally identify with this and I wonder if it had something to do with how I was feeling yesterday/last night. I've decided to take on some additional work with my daughter's meals as she's become very grumpy, constantly eats (but only sweet things like frozen blueberries or even frozen peas which still have some sweet to it) when she gets home from school (never feeling full), and now she's getting in trouble at school for talking all the time and not listening (something we struggle with at home, too). I recognize that I'm not on the rollercoaster of food making me feel bad then I have no energy and snap at everyone. I think yesterday was the most difficult day yet while on this journey. I let the kids get some yogurt covered raisins as we left Trader Joe's (getting nuts so I could make some Elana's Pantry non-grain but bready foods to trick them ;)) and man oh man I wanted some.

I totally get what it's like to try to teach your kids to eat good food. Mine are 10 and 7 and we are really struggling also. You are doing way better then us though. I wish my son would eat the things you described above. He likes all things white and brown - bread, granola bars, etc. my daughter is a natural vegetarian, I think, so she is easier. But we are taking it easy with the kids for now while we really work on our diet for this 30 days.

So how have you celebrated your halfway point (for those of you who are going to stop after 30 days? Did you tell anyone? Update your Facebook status? Do something nice for yourself?

I celebrated by getting a Crossfit workout in while my husband made our favorite Paleo chili for supper. And now I have a big wine glass with sparkling water and lime next to me in front of the fireplace. We'll save the wine for another night a few weeks down the road!

I know not everyone is feeling the magic yet but I hope you don't mind me telling you that I am and it's really even better than I had hoped for. Keep hanging on. My diet was about 90 to 95% Paleo pre-Whole 30 so I assume my recovery was a bit easier. I'm never hungry between meals, sleep through the night, bound out of bed in the morning and have energy all day until about 30 minutes before bedtime. Things really will get better, guys and gals!

Its fine, and I think this must be craving week.I was stressed today and I wanted ice cream and a ciggerette and gross. but there you go, I had to drive three hours in the ice and snow, and it was stressy. I didn't cave. When I finally got home I had a crock pot chicken waiting on me.

A whole chicken, or parts, a chopped onion, about 8 oz mushrooms, a can coconut milk, some coconut butter, salt and pepper. low on the crockpot until done. Serve with calliflower rice.

A quick simple meal? saute onion in a skillet, when soft, fill skillet with spinach, crack eggs on top of spinich, salt and pepper, and turn on low, put a lid on skillet, go take a shower. When you are done, you havea lovely meal of spinich and eggs that are sorta poached.

Tonight was weird! I had painful gas, and the only thing I can link it to is the grilled pineapple that gave me the same response Sunday and Monday. I ate it with my dinner around 6 and around 8 when I started Pilates the grumblies started to take over. Once I got home I felt better, and I ate two soft scrambled eggs in olive oil.

My easy go-to meal is to throw a whole xyz in the crockpot (a chicken, a roast) in the morning, add a can of coconut milk, a bag of baby carrots, and some dried stuff (I have a mix of dried onions & bell peppers). Come home & voila! Add salt & pepper & hot sauce to taste. Speaking of... about to go have that for lunch now.

I may have to make that tomorrow with my whole chicken. I have some red curry powder that I could throw in maybe with some garlic and ginger, carrots, broccoli.. :)

Archived