Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It helps to read the book when you are feeling stressed IMO. I got a LOT of slack from two of my friends at work (we teach biology and human A&P) and we are all big environmentalists too. I wasn't expecting them to even care what I was eating (been posting a lot on FB since I have two friends who live on the opposite coast who are doing one at the same time) or have an opinino. I pointed out to both of them that I had eaten less meat than either of them for 15 years and that I am only buying organic meat from local producers.

Today my energy has been a lot better but I didn't work out as hard. I don't feel like eating dinner though. Might just have some almond butter and celery and call it good.

See, I find that thought depressing. Although likely. Years ago, when I went vegan for a whole year, I lost the ability to process milk when I went back to just being vegetarian. I guess I'm still just stuck in my habits and addictions, because the thought of never being able to have ______ ever again kind of makes me want to cry. I'll come to terms with it, just still wrapping my head around all of this and the likelihood that I have some sort of food allergy, so something will have to go post-Whole30.

Enough of my pity party, which I think is currently being influenced by my PMS and work stress. And also possibly the fact that I'm hosting my Dad's birthday dinner this Saturday and therefore must make him his favorite: angel food cake... and not eat any. This will be a true challenge. I'm also going to make some compliant fruit sorbet (taking just the one night off from not substituting desserts) so that boyfriend and I and my Grandma (who is celiac, although not blood-related to me) can have some dessert, too. This will probably consist mainly of fruit and coconut milk - I need to figure out the ratios and also how to use my ice cream machine (which I've had for years and never used). Anyway, challenges are here, and I'm ready to face them!

I get your comment about increased sensitivity to gluten and sugar post Whole 30 being depressing. If you find that eating whole and wholesome foods is more than just a choice, it changes your perspective. There have been a few instances where I ate very small quantities because I didn't want someone who prepared the dish to feel bad and I have totally regretted that choice every single time. So I can't claim to have fully resigned myself to such a Whole 30 lifestyle - but reintroducing foods will be a very slow process for me since I know how sensitive I am to so many things.

On a positive note, I discovered I DO have ribs this morning! I can actually start to see some of them! Love it!

Hey Cupcake: Try "pina colada" ice cream. Use crushed pineapple in it's own juice, Coconut Milk and or a whole coconut that you chop in food processer and a banana or two for sweetness. Double that to make a larger amount.

Ditto on the wine Run4Fun! I feel so awesome, I think I will keep on for another 10 days or so, but I think I wanna add wine in. ;/ or maybe that will be my first "am I allergic to" food.

Thanks Torena! I am going to wait a few days and try it again, if I get itchy, I will wait til summer and see if fresh grown do the same thing. Sometimes its what they spray on them.

Hey all, and a Happy Day 17 to you!

I started my first W30 1/1 too, and I've been a lurker here. But, while I am generally a loud-mouthed extrovert in much of my life, I do tend to insulate and isolate when making big lifestyle changes--at least the ones that end up being sustainable. Not trusting? Fear of jinxing things and of failure? Yea, probably; whatever. Today, however, I am heeding to that still, small voice in my head whispering, nudging "get support, dodo!" So, here I am.

Being part obsessive-compulsive and part loopy-disorganized, rules = good for me. And I'm doing well with them, not struggling, not craving (except once at Ikea smelling those cinnamon rolls, holy sh#t!). I'm experiencing much of the 'magic' aka "just feeling better." For me that means more emotional steadiness, feeling more comfortable in my body, some fat loss (I had gained about 25lbs after foot surgery 13 months ago), far fewer nasty intestinal symptoms, and I haven't taken or needed ibuprofen (for my variety of aches and pains) from the get-go That, in and of itself, is a minor miracle.

So here's my thing (any old Millenium watchers out there?)... I work a crazy, all-over-the-place schedule. A mix of days and nights, generally 11-15 hours at a stretch, often without time to eat, pee, or drink water. There is nothing I can currently do about this, it's part and parcel of my profession. Good planning and prep is key to making it through without caving to all the temptations; I know this. I also know that I have to have a prepared plate of compliant food in my fridge so when I get home I can autopilot it into the microwave and into my mouth. If I don't do this, I will search for carbs (ie, tortilla chips and ice cream), I will find them, and I will inhale them; all will be lost, people; all WILL be lost. I know how I operate.

This morning, for example, I had meatballs in the fridge, which I nuked and ate before crashing for the day. That's good, yay me. I carry an emergency bag with Primal Pacs, hard-boiled eggs (from my own chickens), nuts, olives, cans of tuna and salmon. Even on the busiest day I can bust out a Primal Pac and hold steady. My fear is that I will have a very busy week, lose balance, and spiral into disorder.

Jtota, (sorry, I don't yet know how to insert a quote from a post),I completely empathized with you 'on the ledge.' I haven't been there yet (yet being the operative word) during the W30, but I have been in the past. ("All of this has happened before; all of this will happen again" who knows where that's from ;-)) The one thing I thought a couple days after you posted was, eat a solidly compliant meal before deciding to leap off the ledge. Feeding your body may just change your mind. It might just be about the food. Eat. I am going to follow my own advice.

Cheers! And thanks for reading :-) Looking forward to giving and receiving support.

I'm considering a Whole 45 - but can I have a glass of wine on day 31? PLEASE??????? :wacko:

So I'm also thinking of a Whole 45, but i'm really wanting sushi, so I'm thinking of treating myself to sushi on day 31 and then right back to it. I figure it's our program, we can make what we want of it!! (Maybe that doesn't make it a whole 45, but it'll be a whole 30 and a whole 15 with a 1 meal break in between ;) )

The first week of my whole30, I went grocery shopping and as I was walking through the store I was thinking there are so many foods I can't have. It was a little depressing. Yesterday, as I was grocery shopping, I saw all these foods again and was thinking, there are so many foods I don't want to eat anymore. I feel so much better eating this way, seeing all the things I won't be eating again didn't bother me at all! I love how my mindset has changed and how easy it is to eat healthy, satisfying foods that taste good and look good.

FINALLY started feeling some energy magic this week. I've been waking up just before 5 without an alarm! My cat being annoying may have something to do with it, but once I'm awake I'm up. And it doesn't feel so much like being ripped from the womb as it did before. The bad news is I think I'm coming down with a cold. Been stuffy for weeks but today I have a headache and my ears hurt a little. I'm pounding water and echinacea tea so hopefully that helps.

This weekend is looking busy, a motorcycle expo at the Javits Center on Saturday, yoga and a chakra meditation workshop on Sunday, and Ikea and the eye doctor on Monday. Resisting the meatballs at Ikea will be challenging, but I told my mom to come up early and I'll make us breakfast beforehand.

My level of happy-ness (not to be confused with happiness) is on the verge of annoying today. (Picture Will Ferrell in the movie "Elf" here.) I.AM.SO.HAPPY!!!!

Ok, got that out of my system. I'll try to keep it down. ;)

Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?

Hey all, and a Happy Day 17 to you!

I started my first W30 1/1 too, and I've been a lurker here. But, while I am generally a loud-mouthed extrovert in much of my life, I do tend to insulate and isolate when making big lifestyle changes--at least the ones that end up being sustainable. Not trusting? Fear of jinxing things and of failure? Yea, probably; whatever. Today, however, I am heeding to that still, small voice in my head whispering, nudging "get support, dodo!" So, here I am.

Being part obsessive-compulsive and part loopy-disorganized, rules = good for me. And I'm doing well with them, not struggling, not craving (except once at Ikea smelling those cinnamon rolls, holy sh#t!). I'm experiencing much of the 'magic' aka "just feeling better." For me that means more emotional steadiness, feeling more comfortable in my body, some fat loss (I had gained about 25lbs after foot surgery 13 months ago), far fewer nasty intestinal symptoms, and I haven't taken or needed ibuprofen (for my variety of aches and pains) from the get-go That, in and of itself, is a minor miracle.

So here's my thing (any old Millenium watchers out there?)... I work a crazy, all-over-the-place schedule. A mix of days and nights, generally 11-15 hours at a stretch, often without time to eat, pee, or drink water. There is nothing I can currently do about this, it's part and parcel of my profession. Good planning and prep is key to making it through without caving to all the temptations; I know this. I also know that I have to have a prepared plate of compliant food in my fridge so when I get home I can autopilot it into the microwave and into my mouth. If I don't do this, I will search for carbs (ie, tortilla chips and ice cream), I will find them, and I will inhale them; all will be lost, people; all WILL be lost. I know how I operate.

This morning, for example, I had meatballs in the fridge, which I nuked and ate before crashing for the day. That's good, yay me. I carry an emergency bag with Primal Pacs, hard-boiled eggs (from my own chickens), nuts, olives, cans of tuna and salmon. Even on the busiest day I can bust out a Primal Pac and hold steady. My fear is that I will have a very busy week, lose balance, and spiral into disorder.

Jtota, (sorry, I don't yet know how to insert a quote from a post),I completely empathized with you 'on the ledge.' I haven't been there yet (yet being the operative word) during the W30, but I have been in the past. ("All of this has happened before; all of this will happen again" who knows where that's from ;-)) The one thing I thought a couple days after you posted was, eat a solidly compliant meal before deciding to leap off the ledge. Feeding your body may just change your mind. It might just be about the food. Eat. I am going to follow my own advice.

Cheers! And thanks for reading :-) Looking forward to giving and receiving support.

Hi! Thanks for the solid introduction. And welcome to the party. I look forward to reading your updates.

The first week of my whole30, I went grocery shopping and as I was walking through the store I was thinking there are so many foods I can't have. It was a little depressing. Yesterday, as I was grocery shopping, I saw all these foods again and was thinking, there are so many foods I don't want to eat anymore. I feel so much better eating this way, seeing all the things I won't be eating again didn't bother me at all! I love how my mindset has changed and how easy it is to eat healthy, satisfying foods that taste good and look good.

Before, when I'd shop at Trader Joe's, I would go hunting for the end cap with the new stuff to see what chocolatey goodness they'd conjured up. So when I stopped in earlier this week, the first time in my Whole30, I feel like a stranger in a strange land. I grabbed the roasted beets I went in for and a handful of other Whole30 compliant goodness and walked out a new person.

I love this story, Nila. Going to the grocery store is definitely a different adventure on the W30.

Personally, I have not quite adjusted to the process of going to the store, getting just about everything I need from the produce and meat section, and walking out only with what was on my shopping list. That is strange. There were always some items that never got written down on the list but faithfully jumped into my cart each week.

The forbidden pleasure of tearing into a big bag of M&Ms on the way home from the grocery store has also gone by the wayside.

The forbidden pleasure of tearing into a big bag of M&Ms on the way home from the grocery store has also gone by the wayside.

M&Ms are my kryptonite. I don't think I'll ever quit them entirely, I just aim to cut back in the future. Like waaaaaaaaay back - holidays or special occasions only. And no, Arbor Day doesn't count. ;)

I'm allergic to something I'm eating. At least, I suspect so. I'm cutting out tomatoes for the rest of my Whole30 to see if they are the culprit. One of the symptoms I was aiming to get rid of by doing this plan is a persistent histamine reaction - I get sneezy and have sinus issues, not every night or morning, but often enough for it to be seriously annoying. Those have been reduced while on the Whole 30, but have not gone completely away... and recently I've begun to suspect tomatoes, which seem to have been in my meals just before an attack. Although, pre-Whole 30 I had thought the culprit was wine (hooray that it's not wine!), but that wasn't reliably the cause - sometimes I would have a glass or two and not have an attack, sometimes I would. So - no more nightshade!

Hey Cupcake: Try "pina colada" ice cream. Use crushed pineapple in it's own juice, Coconut Milk and or a whole coconut that you chop in food processer and a banana or two for sweetness. Double that to make a larger amount.

Um, YUM. I think I'm going to make raspberry/blackberry sorbet (with coconut milk) because I already have all of the ingredients (and yay for that money-saving fact), but I will one day make your pina colada ice cream, because that sounds fantastic! Thanks for the tip!

Happy Day 18! We can DO IT!

Has everyone gotten their Day 18 daily? Mine still hasn't shown up... my inbox wants its Whole30!

I have not received the daily email. (A friend who's on day 5 hasn't received hers, either.) So, something's up. I've grown to really look forward to those emails!

So, what's in the picture?

I can't see the picture at work myself, but I can see it on my home computer.

1st course: spring salad mix (arugula, spinach, etc) with balsmic vinegar-soaked cucumbers & tomatoes, served with homemade creamy Italian dressing, hazelnuts, and dried cranberries infused with apple juice

2nd course: ginger orange chicken thighs with snap peas & flat leaf parsley, served on a bed of caramelized onions (yellow/white/scallions) with a side of garlic mashed cauliflower

3rd course: sweet potato slices sauteed in coconut oil sprinkled with cinnamon, 100% cocoa, toasted coconut, and chopped pecans

Since I'd prepped in advance, I started on this meal as soon as I got home at 5:30. By 6:30, it was all complete.

Edited to add: The mashed cauliflower(from Well Fed) went over SO well! It was the first thing to disappear completely. My husband, who claims he doesn't like cauliflower, got seconds and said it was the best cauliflower he's ever had. So this will definitely become a staple. Also, my husband does not eat salad, claiming that it's "goat food." But with the creamy Italian dressing (also from Well Fed), he actually ATE the salad!! And I saw him go for seconds on that!!!!!

This past week hasn't gone well. I didn't plan very well and the past few days has been just grabbing stuff and making what I could. I also think I'm going to have to give up coffee. Every time I've tried to drink some I barely finish the cup and I have a headache, and on top of that I'm just not feeling well today. I know some of it is just not enough food, but it's also been cold and raining for about a week now and it's depressing. I'm so glad the sun is out today, although it's still cold.

I have to do better next week and make sure I have enough to eat for breakfast and during my day at work. I really just want to go home and go back to bed.

This past week hasn't gone well. I didn't plan very well and the past few days has been just grabbing stuff and making what I could. I also think I'm going to have to give up coffee. Every time I've tried to drink some I barely finish the cup and I have a headache, and on top of that I'm just not feeling well today. I know some of it is just not enough food, but it's also been cold and raining for about a week now and it's depressing. I'm so glad the sun is out today, although it's still cold.

I have to do better next week and make sure I have enough to eat for breakfast and during my day at work. I really just want to go home and go back to bed.

Sorry to hear you're having a down day today. I hope you can take some time this weekend to re-charge your batteries, do something nice for yourself, and plan for next week like you did in advance of week 1.

OK for those of you talking about missing snack foods....I see a few M&M fans out there...I just made the Well Fed Caramelized Coconut Chips. If you don't have the book it is the easiest recipe. Mix 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. salt in a dish. Lightly brown 1 cup coconut flakes in a skillet. Mix in the cinnamon and salt and let cool on a plate (good luck-cause they are awesome warm). All I can say is OMG and yum! Of course, they don't taste like M&Ms, but it gives you the sweet-salty-crunchy mouthfeel and the well-done pieces almost taste like popcorn! Another tip...you may want to cut the recipe in half because I ate the whole thing! :D P.S. I am up for a Whole 45 too and someone can probably twist my arm into a Whole 60. ;)

Archived