Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Hey all, and a Happy Day 17 to you! I started my first W30 1/1 too, and I've been a lurker here. But, while I am generally a loud-mouthed extrovert in much of my life, I do tend to insulate and isolate when making big lifestyle changes--at least the ones that end up being sustainable. Not trusting? Fear of jinxing things and of failure? Yea, probably; whatever. Today, however, I am heeding to that still, small voice in my head whispering, nudging "get support, dodo!" So, here I am. Being part obsessive-compulsive and part loopy-disorganized, rules = good for me. And I'm doing well with them, not struggling, not craving (except once at Ikea smelling those cinnamon rolls, holy sh#t!). I'm experiencing much of the 'magic' aka "just feeling better." For me that means more emotional steadiness, feeling more comfortable in my body, some fat loss (I had gained about 25lbs after foot surgery 13 months ago), far fewer nasty intestinal symptoms, and I haven't taken or needed ibuprofen (for my variety of aches and pains) from the get-go That, in and of itself, is a minor miracle. So here's my thing (any old Millenium watchers out there?)... I work a crazy, all-over-the-place schedule. A mix of days and nights, generally 11-15 hours at a stretch, often without time to eat, pee, or drink water. There is nothing I can currently do about this, it's part and parcel of my profession. Good planning and prep is key to making it through without caving to all the temptations; I know this. I also know that I have to have a prepared plate of compliant food in my fridge so when I get home I can autopilot it into the microwave and into my mouth. If I don't do this, I will search for carbs (ie, tortilla chips and ice cream), I will find them, and I will inhale them; all will be lost, people; all WILL be lost. I know how I operate. This morning, for example, I had meatballs in the fridge, which I nuked and ate before crashing for the day. That's good, yay me. I carry an emergency bag with Primal Pacs, hard-boiled eggs (from my own chickens), nuts, olives, cans of tuna and salmon. Even on the busiest day I can bust out a Primal Pac and hold steady. My fear is that I will have a very busy week, lose balance, and spiral into disorder. Jtota, (sorry, I don't yet know how to insert a quote from a post),I completely empathized with you 'on the ledge.' I haven't been there yet (yet being the operative word) during the W30, but I have been in the past. ("All of this has happened before; all of this will happen again" who knows where that's from ;-)) The one thing I thought a couple days after you posted was, eat a solidly compliant meal before deciding to leap off the ledge. Feeding your body may just change your mind. It might just be about the food. Eat. I am going to follow my own advice. Cheers! And thanks for reading :-) Looking forward to giving and receiving support.

I sense another scifi lover in our midst! I lovelovelove BSG. I watched some Millenium and it's still on my list. Also Buffy, Angel, Farscape, Firefly, Stargate (still working my way through SG-1 and Atlantis), etc. ;) I've been relatively quiet, too, in real life about this. Glad you came here for some support! And good that you know what you need to do to prep. :)

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Facebook: "Due to a server issue, #Whole30 Daily emails will go out late today - starting around 3 PM EST. We apologize for the delay, and will offer you as much support as you need between now and then."

OK for those of you talking about missing snack foods....I see a few M&M fans out there...I just made the Well Fed Caramelized Coconut Chips. If you don't have the book it is the easiest recipe. Mix 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. salt in a dish. Lightly brown 1 cup coconut flakes in a skillet. Mix in the cinnamon and salt and let cool on a plate (good luck-cause they are awesome warm). All I can say is OMG and yum! Of course, they don't taste like M&Ms, but it gives you the sweet-salty-crunchy mouthfeel and the well-done pieces almost taste like popcorn! Another tip...you may want to cut the recipe in half because I ate the whole thing! :D P.S. I am up for a Whole 45 too and someone can probably twist my arm into a Whole 60. ;)

This makes me so excited for my Well Fed to arrive... which should be Monday! Hooray! I will probably wait to try these after my Whole 30 ends, since I'm trying to stay away from sugary-tasting things, but I will definitely be making those for Valentine's Day!

I love how I feel at day 18 but am sick of cooking every night. I do cook a bunch of meat on the weekends at least.

I hear you on that. I decided to make one night a week "Leftovers" night, which happened to be yesterday, and was GREAT. Such a relief to not chop or saute anything. Try making a double batch of something one night and having leftovers sometimes next week.

So I'm also thinking of a Whole 45, but i'm really wanting sushi, so I'm thinking of treating myself to sushi on day 31 and then right back to it. I figure it's our program, we can make what we want of it!! (Maybe that doesn't make it a whole 45, but it'll be a whole 30 and a whole 15 with a 1 meal break in between ;) )

I am so glad someone else was thinking what I was thinking. Our little local sushi place put up a For Lease sign in the last week or so, I want to go see them before they close. They love us and our kids too!

Tomorrow I'm going to try those coconut chips. I know we're not technically supposed to snack but it sure would be nice to participate when the family makes popcorn and watches a movie. :)

I've enjoyed them on top of fruit (like banana slices or berries) or even on top of sauteed sweet potato slices.

...when I stopped in earlier this week, the first time in my Whole30, I feel like a stranger in a strange land. I grabbed the roasted beets I went in for and a handful of other Whole30 compliant goodness and walked out a new person.

The first times I went to Trader Joe's, Costco, and Sprouts after starting the W30 I literally spent hours in each place wandering and reading labels. Back and forth, back and forth, cross-referencing my list, looking up stuff on my phone... I probably looked like a crazy lady. It's getting a lot easier, maybe because I got all the compliant oils, condiments, coconut milk and whatnot that I need on hand, so now I just go for the produce and protein.

I sense another scifi lover in our midst! I lovelovelove BSG. I watched some Millenium and it's still on my list. Also Buffy, Angel, Farscape, Firefly, Stargate (still working my way through SG-1 and Atlantis), etc. ;) I've been relatively quiet, too, in real life about this. Glad you came here for some support! And good that you know what you need to do to prep. :)

I allow myself to watch Netflix when I swing my kettlebells around. Brain candy without the sloth and guilt. I am almost through BSG.....oh, what to get addicted to next??

I am going right into another Whole30 after this one, with one day off for my birthday, which is on day 31. But, instead of gorging on sugary fare that will undoubtedly make me feel like crap later on, I want to try some paleo-friendly, if not W30-compliant, goodies. I'm thinking Well Fed's peach crisp, and these banana-nut butter-cocoa crepe thingies I saw somewhere in the blogosphere. Stuff like that. I'm a sugar junkie and I doubt my ability to eat it for a day and then stop.

I'm allergic to something I'm eating. At least, I suspect so. I'm cutting out tomatoes for the rest of my Whole30 to see if they are the culprit. One of the symptoms I was aiming to get rid of by doing this plan is a persistent histamine reaction - I get sneezy and have sinus issues, not every night or morning, but often enough for it to be seriously annoying. Those have been reduced while on the Whole 30, but have not gone completely away... and recently I've begun to suspect tomatoes, which seem to have been in my meals just before an attack. Although, pre-Whole 30 I had thought the culprit was wine (hooray that it's not wine!), but that wasn't reliably the cause - sometimes I would have a glass or two and not have an attack, sometimes I would. So - no more nightshade!

Um, YUM. I think I'm going to make raspberry/blackberry sorbet (with coconut milk) because I already have all of the ingredients (and yay for that money-saving fact), but I will one day make your pina colada ice cream, because that sounds fantastic! Thanks for the tip!

Happy Day 18! We can DO IT!

I just noticed the past 2 days I've been sneezing a ton. I never put it together with a food allergy though. i thought i was just coming down with a cold. It's not constant though and the other cold symptoms aren't there. I usually don't eat tomatoes, but did buy 1 the other day and have been eating some of it here and there over the past couple days. I'm glad you posted this. Maybe I'll cut the tomato again and see if it goes away.

I am going right into another Whole30 after this one, with one day off for my birthday, which is on day 31. But, instead of gorging on sugary fare that will undoubtedly make me feel like crap later on, I want to try some paleo-friendly, if not W30-compliant, goodies. I'm thinking Well Fed's peach crisp, and these banana-nut butter-cocoa crepe thingies I saw somewhere in the blogosphere. Stuff like that. I'm a sugar junkie and I doubt my ability to eat it for a day and then stop.

That is the same thing I am doing, so while technically not a continuation of my Whole30, I will remain 100% paleo. But, I will be doing many Whole30s in the future until I meet all of my goals. The results that I am experiencing are too great to not continue.

This past week hasn't gone well. I didn't plan very well and the past few days has been just grabbing stuff and making what I could. I also think I'm going to have to give up coffee. Every time I've tried to drink some I barely finish the cup and I have a headache, and on top of that I'm just not feeling well today. I know some of it is just not enough food, but it's also been cold and raining for about a week now and it's depressing. I'm so glad the sun is out today, although it's still cold.

I have to do better next week and make sure I have enough to eat for breakfast and during my day at work. I really just want to go home and go back to bed.

Sorry you are struggling, hope next week is easier for you. Eat!!! :)

I'm allergic to something I'm eating. At least, I suspect so. I'm cutting out tomatoes for the rest of my Whole30 to see if they are the culprit. One of the symptoms I was aiming to get rid of by doing this plan is a persistent histamine reaction - I get sneezy and have sinus issues, not every night or morning, but often enough for it to be seriously annoying. Those have been reduced while on the Whole 30, but have not gone completely away... and recently I've begun to suspect tomatoes, which seem to have been in my meals just before an attack. Although, pre-Whole 30 I had thought the culprit was wine (hooray that it's not wine!), but that wasn't reliably the cause - sometimes I would have a glass or two and not have an attack, sometimes I would. So - no more nightshade!

I have the same problem. The minute I lie down at night my sinuses start to drip, which causes a chronic cough. I thought it was the dairy (heavy cream, greek yogurt), but that clearly is not the issue since my issues are continuing without dairy. Last night was particularly bad. The cough was so nagging that it kept me from getting to sleep and staying asleep. I eat a lot of nightshade (eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes), really in just about every meal so I may have to try to eliminate that as well even for a week to see if there is any improvement.

Welcome to the new posters!

I'm hanging in there. Things are considerably easier. I've gotten used to the smell of popcorn (something my husband NEVER ate before I started Whole30, but now suddenly he can't live without) practically every night. My sleep, until last night, has been better. My energy levels are good. I am struggling a little with appetite. I am not hungry, but I am forcing myself to eat, because the day after I didn't eat breakfast one morning, my fasting blood sugar was 168. I don't know if that was the problem, but it was the only difference so I will be making myself eat whether I am hungry or not.

We are in the process of buying a house, so I am trying to keep my stress levels calm and so far, so good. Things are going smoothly in that aspect. I find I am dealing better with work stresses as well.

My daughter and her husband came in last night to visit for the weekend. What a treat!! I got to feel my grand-baby move for the first time! She is cutting flips in there, LOL! I can't wait to hold her in my arms. That child is one of the main reasons I got serious about my health. I want to enjoy my grandchildren!

Here's hoping everyone's Day ? (fill in the blank) goes off without a hitch! :)

So I'm also thinking of a Whole 45, but i'm really wanting sushi, so I'm thinking of treating myself to sushi on day 31 and then right back to it. I figure it's our program, we can make what we want of it!! (Maybe that doesn't make it a whole 45, but it'll be a whole 30 and a whole 15 with a 1 meal break in between ;) )

Could you get sushi without the rice? You might not miss the rice. I do like sushi though so I know what you mean!

Tomorrow I'm going to try those coconut chips. I know we're not technically supposed to snack but it sure would be nice to participate when the family makes popcorn and watches a movie. :)

I really like the coconut chips. I think they will be good to add to my trail mix when hiking.

I think these brownies (Jan 21 post on this blog) look good for a post Whole30 treat. I'm not a sweets addict though. I am a salt/fat addict (although I have learned through my Whole30 that salty stuff always has sugar in the ingredient too!).

http://paleomama.com/

I'm also considering a Whole45, or maybe even a Whole59. My birthday is at the end of February, so that's a good time to shoot for.

I was feeling amazing last week, but worse early this week (groggier in the morning, lower energy throughout the day), which I proceeded to stress over. Was I sick? Did I accidentally go off-plan? Did Whole30 peak for me? In the end, I'm pretty sure I wasn't sleeping enough. I'm now getting 9-10 hours a night, which seems like SO MUCH SLEEP, but I'm feeling great again!

Could you get sushi without the rice? You might not miss the rice. I do like sushi though so I know what you mean!

I've thought about that, and I think it would be fine, then it would just be the seaweed and fish. If I stay away from the soy sauce and just use the cocunut aminos for dipping, it would be fine. I might have to do that!

Torena -- I ate the coconut chips as the 'fat' portion of my lunch so technically it didn't count as a snack! ;) Enjoy them!

I'm also considering a Whole45, or maybe even a Whole59. My birthday is at the end of February, so that's a good time to shoot for.

I was feeling amazing last week, but worse early this week (groggier in the morning, lower energy throughout the day), which I proceeded to stress over. Was I sick? Did I accidentally go off-plan? Did Whole30 peak for me? In the end, I'm pretty sure I wasn't sleeping enough. I'm now getting 9-10 hours a night, which seems like SO MUCH SLEEP, but I'm feeling great again!

So glad you posted this. I am experiencing the same thing. I was feeling amazing and the last 2 days not so much. Tired again, bloated. Wondering if I cross contaminated or something. I did go for a long run the other day so maybe I over did? I don't know but I want that awesome feeling back. I almost feel a little bit bipolar ( I am not bipolar, but that's this closest comparison I can make to the energy swings).

Welcome dukunbayi! Thanks for you comments. I agree that working a crazy schedule requires lots of planning and prep. My hubby has been kind enough to make dinner the last few nights I have worked but otherwise I always have leftovers in the fridge ready to go. I also agree with just eating when things get tough. I found out by trial and error that if I'm wanting to "cheat" I can eat whole30 foods and the desire goes away. It helps that the recipes I am using are so great :)

For those of you that are tired of cooking, I have had success with making huge dinners and eating left overs for a day or two at lunch. Gets boring at times but it is easy. And I'm reading a lot about snacks - could be dangerous territory unless you are timing it after workouts etc. remember that we are not to snack. If you are hungry eat another small meal. Just saying. I know it's tough love but I want everyone to succeed!

There is an article on the blog about 100% compliance that explains why the rules are sooooooo important.

And the Coconut ice cream sound amazing but for me it would totally be SWYPO. Same with Larabars so they're out unless its an emergency at work.

Glad to see so many are thinking about extending, hopefully we can continue to support each other. :)

Confession: I cheated. I stepped on the scale. I am roughly 10 lbs down. In less than 3 weeks, without hunger.

Blows my mind. Hail to the healthy fats, for I am convinced they are the key.

Not that fat loss has been my primary incentive for doing this, but, wellll...... yea, I'll take it.

@Jtota, I'm with you. Coconut ice cream, pineapple ice cream, coconut chips.... any of that truly yummy sounding stuff would be a trigger for me. Larabars for true emergencies at work. If I would eat an entire, living pastured cow, Abiyoyo style, I will allow myself a Larabar.

Gonna defrost a whole chicken today for the crockpot tomorrow. I'll be working all the livelong day, but I still have to feed my kids! (Darn growing teens.) Plus, it'll be delicious and comforting to come home to that tomorrow night.

Just hinted to my other half that "Well Fed" would make a lovely birthday present to a certain woman who has been doing all the cooking lately :D.

I'm sitting here listening to my chickens outside, egg-songing it up. They are so funny. Does anyone else here have chickens?

Confession: I cheated. I stepped on the scale. I am roughly 10 lbs down. In less than 3 weeks, without hunger.

Blows my mind. Hail to the healthy fats, for I am convinced they are the key.

Not that fat loss has been my primary incentive for doing this, but, wellll......

That's awesome! I have to admit, I'm having trouble staying off the scale. I had lost 3 lbs then Gained it back. Currently feeling just as bloated and gross as day 1. Are you exercising? I started running again last week and I'm wondering if that could be the problem cause my food is 100%, at least I think it is. If I lost 10lbs I'd be at me goal weight.

Archived