Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

I had a short bout with the flu during my halfway mark. As I recovered, and was able to eat again, I managed to stay away from my usual comfort foods and stay compliant. That took some major willpower, but I made it!! That was definitely my small success for the mid-point. :) To celebrate making it halfway, I ordered a copy of "Well Fed". It arrived yesterday and I've already tried a couple recipes. So Yummy!!!

Good job! :) :) Well Fed is a favorite cookbook in this thread!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days into the Whole30, I noticed a big increase in dry patches on my skin, plus tingling/numbness in my fingers (mainly right thumb). I gave it a week to go away on its own then went to the doctor who took blood to run tests. Well, this morning I saw the results: Vitamin D deficiency! I did some online research, and sure enough, dry skin is one of the symptoms/results of a Vitamin D deficiency.

The doctor suggests prescription-strength Vitamin D for 3 months. If any of the symptons (dry skin / tingling) persist, esp the tingling, we'll investigate more.

I take a pre-natal vitamin daily... guess it doesn't provide enough (if any) vitamin D.

I had a short bout with the flu during my halfway mark. As I recovered, and was able to eat again, I managed to stay away from my usual comfort foods and stay compliant. That took some major willpower, but I made it!! That was definitely my small success for the mid-point. :) To celebrate making it halfway, I ordered a copy of "Well Fed". It arrived yesterday and I've already tried a couple recipes. So Yummy!!!

Wow, that is wonderful! So much to be proud of here. And I love the reward you've provided for yourself. You are going to love that cookbook. And how cool that it was just a short bout — I suspect your immune system is better fortified to deal with the bug.

I have so much energy right now it's crazy. I breezed through everything I had to do, actually enjoyed visiting with my patients, and happily helped my fellow nurses do whatever they needed help with. I gotta say, I was a crappy employee before this whole 3o. I mean I was good at my job and always on time, did what I needed to do etc, but I was as not excelling. I was getting by.

Love this. I'm having some similar experiences here. Now that my cloudy, muddy thinking is clearing up, I am finding I have more energy at the office. I'm looking for ways to approach my job with excellence, not just wanting to phone it in.

- - - - - - -

Also, is anyone else experiencing more gratitude sneaking into their everyday life? This is kind of like the food thing I mentioned last night. Normal events have started to seem remarkable. Regular old everyday food has begun to taste amazing. A hot shower with fragrant soap at the end of a long day seems incredibly luxurious. Even the pillows in the bed at night seem exceptionally soft and cushy!

This may or may not be related to the W30 — but what a treat to notice and enjoy so many of these little gifts.

Thanks for the support everyone. I wanted to mention I found some Fish Sauce at our version of 'Whole Foods' and it was only around $4 and only ingredients listed are anchovies, salt and water. The brand is 'Asian Gourmet.'

Helen,

Sounds like detox going on. You have to push though because it will get better. Are you eating plenty of fat? If you're not already, you might try eating only protein at breakfast. I find that I can avoid a crash late in day if I eat a lot of protein at breakfast. It takes a while to balance exercise and carb intake to. The first times I tried to go paleo I would crash during my workouts because I was going to low in the carbs.

Hang in there! You can do this! And high five your hubby for making you dinner to get you through!

I have been eating two eggs in the morning with avocado and some kale or spinach. I figured out the protein crash thing too a few years ago which is why I am confused that it is happening now. Sigh. I am hoping yesterday was a fluke. I slept good last night so feeling good right now ..thanks!

I have been eating two eggs in the morning with avocado and some kale or spinach. I figured out the protein crash thing too a few years ago which is why I am confused that it is happening now. Sigh. I am hoping yesterday was a fluke. I slept good last night so feeling good right now ..thanks!

Helen, are 2 eggs as many eggs as you can hold in your hand?? That's the recommended serving size for eggs. If it's 2, great. If it's not, ADD MORE! :)

Helen, are 2 eggs as many eggs as you can hold in your hand?? That's the recommended serving size for eggs. If it's 2, great. If it's not, ADD MORE! :)

I have giant hands and can probably hold four, but I've been eating three every day for years now

Also, is anyone else experiencing more gratitude sneaking into their everyday life? This is kind of like the food thing I mentioned last night. Normal events have started to seem remarkable. Regular old everyday food has begun to taste amazing. A hot shower with fragrant soap at the end of a long day seems incredibly luxurious. Even the pillows in the bed at night seem exceptionally soft and cushy!

This may or may not be related to the W30 — but what a treat to notice and enjoy so many of these little gifts.

Yes! I never used to get it when my coworkers were always talking about how blessed they were all time. And they were always happy about everything. Well now I am feeling that way and I do "get it". I don't understand it at all. It's like waking up all the sudden and realizing that my life is actually amazing. I have a new found interest in everything small and simple. I can approach my kids with an attitude of fun instead of stress all the time. And I have a renewed interest in my husband, it's like we're newly dating again and it's been 15 yrs since we got married!

I just feel like someone pulled the ba-hum-bug out of my brain and I am finally happy. Is it crazy that food can have that power over the mind? It's only been three weeks. I'm just flabbergasted :)

I'd love it if a moderator or an experienced whole30 finisher could chime in on how eating this way affects the brain. Guess I could look back at my book too . . .

Had to report here briefly and say that I just had the most amazing meal here in my own kitchen. The meal doesn't sound amazing, but it was: Mashed sweet potatoes with ghee, slow roasted chicken breast, and steamed broccoli drizzled with homemade olive oil mayo. So simple, so good.

I feel like I'm actually starting to taste food this week, and it's amazing.

Hope you all had a great day of clean eating and are feeling good.

Thanks for sharing this! It sound yummy and it's always good to get new ideas! Do you make your own ghee?

My meal of the week- 2-3 eggs scrambled with cinnamon and 1/3 - 1/2 of a chopped apple (put in food processor to chop small). Cqook eggs as an omelet or like scrambled eggs. Fry up some sweet potato hash in coconut oil (also chopped in food processor so it's small) and when your egg/apple combo is cooked dump it on top of the sweet potato hash.

Today was a terrible day for me......I started back to work and wanted to go in strong. Sigh.

I wonder if your low energy and mood yesterday was BECAUSE you went back to work and experienced a bit of stress by the different pace, challenges, etc. If your normal (a.k.a. Pre Whole 30) post-workday recovery included foods or beverages you are refraining from now, your brain could have been having a serious pity party. If I remember from your earlier posts, this would have been your first day back since you started Whole 30, right?

If you are working again today, I'll be curious to hear if today went better for you. I'm hoping your "win" over your head yesterday sent a clear message that you're in control!

Fantastic! That is so great to hear. I am going to aim to not eat gluten ever again, but if I'm going to indulge (like a birthday cake for a family member for example) it will be gluten-free. I am glad you posted about your rough patch. This is the first time I've done something like this, where I had online support, and normally I'd be embarrassed or "feel weak" for posting, and I am so glad we're all so honest here. It makes me feel less alone.

If you're like me, you'll find your body can no longer process gluten or much of any sugar post-Whole 30. I get a headache within about 5 minutes, am physically ill within 30 minutes, and typically continue to be sick for two or three days. Seriously. It surprises me on some level, yet I'm happy to know. If my body can't handle it well, I'd much rather avoid foods with those ingredients vs. knowingly make myself ill. It's just not worth it. But as we all know, controlling your food every single day to avoid non-compliant Whole 30 foods isn't easy an easy lifestyle to maintain.

I do wonder if my body will be even more sensitive after 30 days of totally clean eating. Should be interesting to see.

A few days into the Whole30, I noticed a big increase in dry patches on my skin, plus tingling/numbness in my fingers (mainly right thumb). I gave it a week to go away on its own then went to the doctor who took blood to run tests. Well, this morning I saw the results: Vitamin D deficiency! I did some online research, and sure enough, dry skin is one of the symptoms/results of a Vitamin D deficiency.

The doctor suggests prescription-strength Vitamin D for 3 months. If any of the symptons (dry skin / tingling) persist, esp the tingling, we'll investigate more.

I take a pre-natal vitamin daily... guess it doesn't provide enough (if any) vitamin D.

My endocrinologist found I was VERY deficient in Vitamin D a few years ago. I have been using https://www.biotechpharmacal.com/ for my Vitamin D3. I started off with 50,000 IU/week but it wasn't helping as much. We suspected because it was a big dose every 7 days so I started taking 5,000 every day and that has helped. Biotech's are free of all that stuff we're avoiding on our Whole30. :)

It's funny you mention that, because I spent some time on my Facebook page removing the negative/snarky pages that I used to find funny in that dark humor sort of way.

If you're like me, you'll find your body can no longer process gluten or much of any sugar post-Whole 30. I get a headache within about 5 minutes, am physically ill within 30 minutes, and typically continue to be sick for two or three days. Seriously. It surprises me on some level, yet I'm happy to know. If my body can't handle it well, I'd much rather avoid foods with those ingredients vs. knowingly make myself ill. It's just not worth it. But as we all know, controlling your food every single day to avoid non-compliant Whole 30 foods isn't easy an easy lifestyle to maintain.

I do wonder if my body will be even more sensitive after 30 days of totally clean eating. Should be interesting to see.

I'm kind of hoping for that cut and dry of a reaction so I *know*. Part of my "problem" is that the issues that gluten *may* have an influence on are kind of hidden - my thyroid and my gallbladder. It's not an immediate reaction and it would take bloodwork or an ultrasound to figure it out.

I can probably hold almost 3. Will try 3 tomorrow. I feel good today (no crash yet) but I didn't do as strenuous exercise as yesterday!

thanks!

I wonder if your low energy and mood yesterday was BECAUSE you went back to work and experienced a bit of stress by the different pace, challenges, etc. If your normal (a.k.a. Pre Whole 30) post-workday recovery included foods or beverages you are refraining from now, your brain could have been having a serious pity party. If I remember from your earlier posts, this would have been your first day back since you started Whole 30, right?

If you are working again today, I'll be curious to hear if today went better for you. I'm hoping your "win" over your head yesterday sent a clear message that you're in control!

That may be it. I teach at a community college so have an irregular schedule so today I am just working from home. I feel better today. Yesterday was the pits though. I know that work stress is going to be tough in a few weeks. I think I am going to do a Whole45 or Whole60 just to keep it together for a little longer with adjusting to work stress as in a month I am going to be slammed and I took on an extra writing project this semester (kind of regret this but like the extra $$).

My endocrinologist found I was VERY deficient in Vitamin D a few years ago. I have been using https://www.biotechpharmacal.com/ for my Vitamin D3. I started off with 50,000 IU/week but it wasn't helping as much. We suspected because it was a big dose every 7 days so I started taking 5,000 every day and that has helped. Biotech's are free of all that stuff we're avoiding on our Whole30. :)

I also supplement with Vitamin D and fish oil.

I can probably hold almost 3. Will try 3 tomorrow. I feel good today (no crash yet) but I didn't do as strenuous exercise as yesterday!

thanks!

Maybe your exercise is too much or two hard? This was a hard lesson for me too learn this month and I am still working on it. I was forced to not exercise for three days in a row over the weekend because of work and that's when my energy started soaring. I also lost a few inches - At least I think I did based on my clothes. Try taking 2-3 days off, up you protein and fat at breakfast and see what happens. This is also weird, but I find that if I eat carbs (fruit, sweet potatoes) at all with breakfast I get hungrier much faster later in the day and have more cravings.

I think I am going to do a Whole45 or Whole60 just to keep it together for a little longer with adjusting to work stress as in a month I am going to be slammed and I took on an extra writing project this semester (kind of regret this but like the extra $$).

Me too! I'm in for at least an extra week or two!

Maybe your exercise is too much or two hard? This was a hard lesson for me too learn this month and I am still working on it. I was forced to not exercise for three days in a row over the weekend because of work and that's when my energy started soaring. I also lost a few inches - At least I think I did based on my clothes. Try taking 2-3 days off, up you protein and fat at breakfast and see what happens. This is also weird, but I find that if I eat carbs (fruit, sweet potatoes) at all with breakfast I get hungrier much faster later in the day and have more cravings.

I think I'm going to be forced to miss tomorrow because of the weather. I am very grumpy if I miss yoga. It is kind of like my church. I am not too worried about losing weight as I am about being healthy and the eating to be sustainable for me most of the time. And today because of the weather I ate lunch WAY too late so am a little worried about the crash. I had a huge salad with a lot of chicken and homemade mayo salad dressing and guacomole and some sliced almonds. I hope that is good for no crash.

Funny side story. This is my third attempt at making mayo. The first two were awesome. This one sort of didn't fully form a colloid (although it has solidified in the fridge, we use it mostly for salad dressing and tuna salad). Anyway, I was bummed because I just bought a new blender and thought maybe it didn't have a slow enough speed. Turns out I used powdered ginger instead of mustard as the emulsifying agent !! They look the exact same in color. I'm such a dork.

This is also weird, but I find that if I eat carbs (fruit, sweet potatoes) at all with breakfast I get hungrier much faster later in the day and have more cravings.

I struggle with the low- to no-carbs thing at meals, although I wonder if that's why I'm still having crazy cravings all the time. But boyfriend (being insulin-dependent) has to have some carb with meals to maintain b.s. levels (and not die) and we generally eat the same thing. I have cut out fruit almost entirely to try and slay the sugar demon, so these carbs have been taking the form of sweet potatoes, onions, other carb-dense veggies. It makes me tired to think of trying to make sure he gets enough carb and that I don't get any - like the food prep isn't already taking long enough, you know? *sigh* I would like to kick the cravings.

If you're like me, you'll find your body can no longer process gluten or much of any sugar post-Whole 30.

See, I find that thought depressing. Although likely. Years ago, when I went vegan for a whole year, I lost the ability to process milk when I went back to just being vegetarian. I guess I'm still just stuck in my habits and addictions, because the thought of never being able to have ______ ever again kind of makes me want to cry. I'll come to terms with it, just still wrapping my head around all of this and the likelihood that I have some sort of food allergy, so something will have to go post-Whole30.

Enough of my pity party, which I think is currently being influenced by my PMS and work stress. And also possibly the fact that I'm hosting my Dad's birthday dinner this Saturday and therefore must make him his favorite: angel food cake... and not eat any. This will be a true challenge. I'm also going to make some compliant fruit sorbet (taking just the one night off from not substituting desserts) so that boyfriend and I and my Grandma (who is celiac, although not blood-related to me) can have some dessert, too. This will probably consist mainly of fruit and coconut milk - I need to figure out the ratios and also how to use my ice cream machine (which I've had for years and never used). Anyway, challenges are here, and I'm ready to face them!

I'm so happy for those of you who are hitting the Tiger Blood stage! Very encouraging and inspiring!

I LOVE hearing when "stop doing so damned much" works for people :)

I'm considering a Whole 45 - but can I have a glass of wine on day 31? PLEASE??????? :wacko:

I'm considering a Whole 45 - but can I have a glass of wine on day 31? PLEASE??????? :wacko:

I am not sure what I would want to have. Maybe a dark chocolate brownie from my local food coop. :)

Okay, this taste buds unlocking thing is completely spot on. Tonight I made these meatballs and raita (I grated some extra red onion in it, using coconut milk with lemon juice instead of lime juice) with this tomato/olive salad. I proclaimed them the best meatballs I have ever had. It was the first time I have used my broiler and I don't know why I was so intimidated. I literally slurped my plate clean from the leftover coconut milk/salad dressing.

Archived