My Husband's Idea

kat.bair

So Whole30 was my husband's idea. Sort of. 

We're 26, no kids, no pets, great fulfilling jobs that we love, and we eat like GARBAGE. Our diet is primarily take-out, frozen pizza, mac and cheese. And booze. Lots of it. Husband has gained 30-40 pounds since college, which doesn't bother me, but he's self-conscious about it, and was talking about it over dinner. I'm not as in good as shape as I have been, although my weight has never really changed, and I've generally just felt pretty lethargic and slovenly lately. We also realized we don't always drink now the way we used to. We use to drink because it was fun, now we drink because work isn't fun... So we decided to try to do something new. We've never dieted before or made any real effort to change our lifestyle. 

We also are not people for half-assing things. So instead of be normal and just try some less intense option first, we decided to go for Whole30. This is day 2. 

Day 1 I felt accomplished because I meal-prepped for the first time in my entire life, and had some realization of just how often the urge for a glass of wine or spoonful of peanut butter crossed my mind. I was also hungry so Husband and I ate dinner at like 6 like old people. 

Anyway, today is Day 2, and so far, so good. I had one of my lunches (a "balance" bowl of roasted sweet potato, chicken, avocado, and kale) and I've got some celery at my desk. Is it kosher to just munch at these or is that one of those habits I should break because its mindless?

I wish they had peanut butter on them.

Part of this started because I worried I was developing an unhealthy relationship with food and alcohol. I'm just beginning to realize I may have just developed an unhealthy relationship with peanut butter...

I'll keep this log of how it all goes from here. No promises it will be pretty. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kat.bair said:

Is it kosher to just munch at these or is that one of those habits I should break because its mindless?

It's really a habit you should work on breaking. Ideally, you'll make meals that keep you satisfied 4-5 hours at a time, so you'll be able to eat at meal times but won't need anything between meals. 

So today is day 3.

I was hungry from 8pm last night up until about 20 minutes ago. 

We made a good dinner - jalapeño cilantro turkey burgers with guacamole and a poached egg on top (surprisingly easy even for non-cooks like myself). It was delicious and felt hearty enough to be filling but I still wanted more. I settled on a handful of baby carrots (less tempting to pair with peanut butter...)

But as I was falling asleep my stomach was grumblingggg.

When I woke up? Still grumbling. The first thing I noticed was being hungry. 

I settled for a hard boiled egg and thermos of black coffee as I walked out the door. 

But on the upside I went to a bakery AND a pizza place today for work and ate my own packed lunch instead! Yay! I was feeling worse (headache, foggy, light-headed) as I came home so I grabbed a naked juice at the corner store (I read the label it’s kosher) and had that and am feeling better. 

The dizziness feels like a blood sugar problem (especially because juice helped) but how anything I can do about the hunger? I don’t feel like I’m under eating... 

Tonight is steak fajitas! I’ll keep you posted. 

• Moderators

If all you had for breakfast was a hard boiled egg and coffee, you are undereating. You need three meals a day that meet the meal template. If eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, so probably 3-4. Have 2-3 cups of veggies with those eggs, and add a serving of two of fat. Eat a big, filling breakfast, and you are less likely to have that insatiable hunger the rest of the day. 

On 7/9/2018 at 12:56 PM, kat.bair said:

I was also hungry so Husband and I ate dinner at like 6 like old people. 

Old people eat WAY before 6.....dishes are washed and we are thinking about getting into bed by 6! :P

As far as feeling hungry....eat more and make sure you include fat and veggies with every meal.  Juice isn't recommended on Whole30.  Keep your blood sugar steady with regular meals and add some starchy carbs if you're feeling weak or tired.

Day 4. 

Thanks for the input, y'all! I think I'm still trying to find a balance of what is a healthy change and what is just unrealistic for my lifestyle and setting myself up for failure. 

Plus side: not hungry today! Husband and I made steak fajitas with TONS of vegetables and it was absolutely delicious. I had a handful size portion of steak (maybe 1/3 pound) and a heaping serving of vegetables. They were so yummy and I felt way more full. Woke up feeling full still this morning, finished that "juice" (its a boosted smoothie made of blended vegetables and fruits, so its not like juice-juice) and few carrots and berries out of the break room at work. 

Thank you all for your help, encouragement and input as I try to make Whole30 work! I'm a youth pastor and I spent all day doing skits for 700 children at VBS while popping black coffee and break room celery sticks as "breakfast" in-between groups. I know its not a pinterest-worthy experience of Whole30, but its mine, and I'm having fun! 

Also, I'll be leading at a summer camp next week - any tips on eating Whole30 in that environment? Just stick to the salad bar??

Day 4 Addendum: Just tried Almond Butter for the first time (idea spurred by @alisonegilbert) as the methadone to my peanut butter addicition. Was disappointed. Because I wanted it to taste like peanut butter, and you know what it tasted like?

Almonds. 

Obviously, right? But for a brief moment, as I felt the creamy texture, I thought maybe this was a good answer (if a pricey one) but alas. Almonds. 

On 7/9/2018 at 5:50 PM, alisonegilbert said:

I realized how addicted I was to peanut butter too!

I eat almond or cashew butter sometimes, but luckily the high price tag is good motivation to keep me from overindulging.

Anyway - tonight's dinner is loaded sweet potato fries with scallions and fried eggs. Its supposed to have bacon but I'm substituting ground turkey because I couldn't find any whole30 compliant bacon at kroger - suggestions on where I can find some?

Kat

Psst - try sunflower seed butter.   Although I feel maybe as if I shouldn't be getting you hooked on the stuff - I can sit down with a jar like Pooh Bear with his honey and eat the whole darned thing if I'm not careful.  

The only place I have been able to find compliant bacon is natural food stores.

Do you have a Natural Grocers?  They sell "paleo" bacon which in reality seems to be thinly sliced pork belly so it will not have any smoked/cured flavor but it's completely compliant.  Some petersons/pederson's (whatever the spelling is) are compliant but some aren't. You have to read the label. Do you have a local butcher?  They may have compliant bacon.  Mine does but it's not close to where I live so we only go every 4-6 weeks to stock up and sadly they are often out of bacon. Some Sprouts and/or Whole Foods may have compliant but I only go to Sprouts sporadically and WF not at all so I don't know what brands they may carry.

Whole30 has a partnership with Applegate. They have a number of Whole30 approved items, including a sugar free bacon. I've seen that brand at a wide variety of stores (though I live in California so we tend to be spoiled with the variety of foods we can find). 

Pederson's Natural Farms is also a brand with compliant options that I'm able to find fairly regularly. My local Raley's carries it, but it's easiest to find at a health food store. 

Note that compliant bacon can be expensive. The Pederson's bacon I buy is $7.99 for like 10 slices... 

You guys are so helpful! I will seek out Whole30 bacon with more confidence now. And as for price, that should keep me from over-indulging if a pound costs a months rent...

Today is Day 6!

Yesterday was bonkers, more skits to 700 children while trying to answer emails in-between, then a  Qdoba lunch for 50 teenagers and taking them to see a movie. For the Qdoba, I grabbed a bowl with lots of lettuce, topped it with chicken, pico, and guac. At first I was a little nervous about the guac (what if its made in huge bulk and shipped, would it have weird preservatives or fillers?) but I did some quick googling when they set-up and it looks like they make their guac in house every day, which makes it safer! I also looked up their nutritional info online and it looks clear, so yay! When I first saw them setting out the food all I could think about was how much I just wanted to grab one of those chips and drown it in queso, but once I got my bowl, it tasted filling and yummy and I didn't really miss the rice and beans and cheese at all! I think even my post-Whole30 chipotle order got an upgrade!

Today, I do laundry, pack, and prep for leaving for camp tomorrow! Still seeking out ideas for staying whole30 at camp! 

Thanks, fam! 

Archived