Bacon Fat as Cooking Fat?

ShieldMaiden

Hello! I found some compliant bacon and wondered if it was reasonably healthy to occasionally use the fat renderings as a cooking fat (in place of ghee or coconut oil)? I haven't seen this addressed elsewhere, I searched for bacon fat but it just turned up a bunch of posts about bacon itself. Thanks for your help! 

I often will let my bacon play double-duty by using the fat to help saute vegetables being included in the dish, so I wouldn't see anything wrong with saving it to use later. Obviously it's not something I'd use for every meal (just as I wouldn't use regular bacon grease all the time), but if it's compliant bacon then I'd assume the fat would be fine to use for cooking during Whole30.

A mod may jump in and counter that, of course... but I'm from the south, so I'm as interested as you on this one :) 

I actually don't eat bacon on its own, just mixed in as part of something else (like cut up as lardons for my greens or to make one of the riced cauliflower recipes I've got). By itself, bacon is totally SWYPO for me, so it's a no-go except as flavoring in a larger dish :) I tend to even avoid regular bacon for the same reason, because I know I could happily munch my way through most of a package before realizing I'd done it!

I use it for sure! every time I cook bacon I strain the fat and put it in a jar in the fridge. I also  save the fat from roasting chicken. Just put it in the fridge and scrap off all the lovely white fat after it separates from the juices and solidifies. Delish!

Hot bacon fat drizzled on greens = amazing! or to use it to oven roast veggies. Mmmm. now i'm drooling :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived