Sleepover, and I am on Whole 30!

Hello! I am 14 and I’m on my 15th day to of Whole 30. I have done Whole 30 about 4 to 5 times in the past and I’ve mostly stuck onto it eating and lifestyle wise. I have a friend who wants me to sleepover and I’m stuck! I want to eat Whole 30, but I don’t want to discriminate her by telling her I eat this way and possibly offend her or make her feel less of herself. Would it be ok if I had a cheat day for 1 day and then just continue the next day as if it was yesterday? (No, I’m not doing this for weight loss, I have a few food allergies:) Thanks! 

• Moderators

A lot depends on what you want to get out of this whole30. If you've done whole30s in the past and done reintroductions and have a good idea of what foods you may have issues with, this may be not a cheat day, but part of your food freedom, where you decide that something that you know isn't necessarily healthy for you to have all the time is worth it in a particular circumstance. 

If you had never done a whole30 before and were trying to find out how different foods affect you, then it would be important to have 30 days straight of whole30. 

One option could be to ask if it would be possible to cook dinner together (or you cook for the friend at their house), so you can have an absolutely delicious Whole30 meal without feeling like you've made them feel bad about their usual fare. I know that wouldn't work for every situation, but it's one idea of how to stick to it without making it seem like a big deal.

Well I don’t necessarily need to do the full 30 days as I already kind of know what I can’t have. I ended up cheating a little bit but not overly, (like sugar). I would have loved to cook at home but I’m not quite sure they would like what I eat, and so I just went with it. :) I am back on it though, and I am doing good. I feel a little bad that I cheated but it’s better than losing a friend or making her feel bad. I plan on just doing whole 30 as my main source of food but since I don’t necessarily need to do whole 30 again, I am just going to eat it 90% of the time but if I end up going somewhere with a friend or family I won’t be so restrictive and will just eat something that is as close as can be. I don’t want to do the entire 30 days because it sometimes sets me up to fail, because it’s longer without that food that you are more likely to purge on sweets. I still have the same results from 2 years ago when I first started so, hopefully this unrestricted version will just help me stay on this while still allowing foods that make me feel better. (I’m open to that occasional ice cream if I really need to) Thanks for all your help! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach
1 hour ago, Shelby Nicole said:

Well I don’t necessarily need to do the full 30 days as I already kind of know what I can’t have. I ended up cheating a little bit but not overly, (like sugar). I would have loved to cook at home but I’m not quite sure they would like what I eat, and so I just went with it. :) I am back on it though, and I am doing good. I feel a little bad that I cheated but it’s better than losing a friend or making her feel bad. I plan on just doing whole 30 as my main source of food but since I don’t necessarily need to do whole 30 again, I am just going to eat it 90% of the time but if I end up going somewhere with a friend or family I won’t be so restrictive and will just eat something that is as close as can be. I don’t want to do the entire 30 days because it sometimes sets me up to fail, because it’s longer without that food that you are more likely to purge on sweets. I still have the same results from 2 years ago when I first started so, hopefully this unrestricted version will just help me stay on this while still allowing foods that make me feel better. (I’m open to that occasional ice cream if I really need to) Thanks for all your help! 

Hi Shelby,

It sounds like you are living in your food freedom, which is where you want to be after doing a few rounds of Whole30. When you live in food freedom, it is okay to have the occasional ice cream or treat that you want, without feeling guilty about it. This is the whole point :)

Archived