PRE WORKOUT HELP???

Hi, so on this link https://whole30.com/whole30-pre-workout-post-workout/ it tells you to eat carbs and proteins before a workout, but then on the whole30 meal template and books, it tells you not to eat carbs before workout, and instead eat fat + protein. So my question is, whats the deal here, what am I supposed to eat?

I train crossfit 1 hour everyday in medium to high intensity, and then on weekends I train 3 hours a day. Female, 22 years of age, overweight. 

• Moderators

The article you linked is the more recent information. There's always new information being learned, and the article reflects changes in how this aspect of nutrition is being thought about. The meal template and books are a little older. You are free to use either, there are people who have had success with the information in the book/meal template in the past.  Whichever you opt to do, pick one and stick with it for a few weeks, realizing that if Whole30 is a big difference from how you were eating before, the first week or two, your workouts may not be as good as you are used to as your body adjusts. 

Hello,

Well thats sad to know, very confusing, so am I supposed to check everything I have read about the whole30 each rule or thing on the internet to see if it was updated or if it has changed or not? 

Very disorganized this system tbh, how am I supposed to do something if I'm not even sure about how to follow it, because the intel has updated throughout the years and I have to search myself for the things that have changed and the ones that haven't, since they're both out there for everyone to read. 

Thanks for the reply anyways. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, belabrancatelli said:

Hello,

Well thats sad to know, very confusing, so am I supposed to check everything I have read about the whole30 each rule or thing on the internet to see if it was updated or if it has changed or not? 

Very disorganized this system tbh, how am I supposed to do something if I'm not even sure about how to follow it, because the intel has updated throughout the years and I have to search myself for the things that have changed and the ones that haven't, since they're both out there for everyone to read. 

Thanks for the reply anyways. 

You can do everything exactly the way the book says, and it'll work just fine, that's how people have been doing it for a while now. Websites are easier to update than books, so they will be updated before books are, because doing a reprint of a book costs time and money and will only be done if the publisher believes it's worth it. You can ignore the website completely and just use the books. 

1. You need to check your attitude because the moderators on this forum are volunteers and deserve a little respect. Shannon definitely goes above and beyond with her explanations of how things work and has been a tremendous help to a lot of us who Whole30.

2. The Whole30 is free. All you need is the list of what's not allowed and the meal template. You may spend money on books or special products but neither is necessary in order to complete a Whole30. Changing and updating everything is expensive. I'm sure they could reprint the books every time a change is made if they decided to charge us to participate in the program. I didn't eat white potatoes during my first Whole30 because my copy of ISWF was published before they changed that rule. I accidentally (and happily) discovered the update by using the forum (for free) and didn't have to buy a new, updated copy of ISWF. 

3. I run, hike or weight train five or six times per week. I've done multiple Whole30's, random Whole21's and even a Whole75 and have never eaten a pre or post workout meal. They're not necessary for me and they might not be for you either. Or you may need to do it the original way but you may be better with the new way. Only you can determine what works for you in that regard. So yes, you will need to do a little research and figure out what works best for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

There was another thread about this recently, and I think this hits on my concern from that other thread.  The OP mentions a training regimen that adds up to 11 hours a week.  That sounds REALLY high, especially for someone that seems to not be an advanced high-level athlete.  With that level of training you need all the calories you can get.  You can't afford to skip pre-workout meals, or you're probably going to crash and burn.  The new guidelines I think are trying to mitigate that.  But it might be worthwhile to reconsider the total amount of intense exercise that requires that additional fuel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have found the perfect pre-workout meal for my needs on Whole30 is a blueberry RX bar, and a cup of black coffee.  I used to put Nutpods in my coffee, but don't even need that anymore.  Then I have a good size Post workout meal afterwards with veggie Eggs, potatoes,  and a 1/2 of grapefruit.  

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@Ktinegv here is an article that discusses pre and post-workout meals: Pre and Post-Workout Meals

"Your pre-workout meal should focus on protein and high-fiber carbohydrates – think chicken or turkey breast, lean beef, fish and seafood, as well as sweet and white potatoes, squashes, berries, melons, bananas, and beets." 

Please reach out with questions!

• 1 month later...

Archived