Soup

swonke

Agreed, there's no way we could tell you for certain, in part because sometimes the ingredients even vary from one region to another so an item could be compliant where I am but not where you are... but the biggest reason to not just give a list is because being able to read the ingredients list and determine compliance is a really important skill to have during Whole30 (and for the rest of your life, if you end up with knowledge of food intolerance or allergy issues).

That said, my guess is that none of them are going to be compliant. I know beyond doubt that the loaded baked potato one isn't (tons of dairy, some sugar, some soy, and even carrageenan), and I remember coming to the conclusion (after checking many, many types of soup) that anything "creamy" is highly unlikely to be compliant because most of them have dairy, at the very least. I did specifically check the Fresh Foods Market Thai Style Chicken Coconut Curry soup during my most recent round, while feeling lazy and not wanting to make my own curry, and learned that it's got sugar, cornstarch, soy, and whey... so I wound up going home and making a huge pot of curry.

For soups, in general, you're probably going to be better off with making a large pot and then splitting some aside to freeze. We've had great luck with freezing leftover soup for up to 3 months. I typically use old containers from margarine or yogurt. You don't have to thaw it fully to reheat, just set the container in warm water to loosen the contents from the sides and then dump it into a pot and heat it slowly. If you want to reheat it in the microwave, I'd suggest thawing it overnight in the fridge first. If you know you'll be doing microwave reheating in the same container, make sure you leave a little extra space between the top of the soup and the lid, to account for expansion.

• Moderators
On 9/9/2019 at 2:41 PM, Jihanna said:

If you know you'll be doing microwave reheating in the same container, make sure you leave a little extra space between the top of the soup and the lid, to account for expansion.

Oh please don't microwave your food in plastic :(  I would just set it in warm water as you said and then pop the chunk out into a glass bowl... microwaving plastic is really not a great idea, especially crappy plastic like recycled yogurt/marg containers....

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Oh please don't microwave your food in plastic :(  I would just set it in warm water as you said and then pop the chunk out into a glass bowl... microwaving plastic is really not a great idea, especially crappy plastic like recycled yogurt/marg containers....

Good point -- I don't ever micro ours, but was realizing that some do and thinking only along the lines of leaving extra room so it wouldn't boil over... so thanks for the reminder that reheating in plastic isn't a great idea! I'm honestly a heat-it-on-the-stove type of person, but am aware that not everyone is (and that some would avoid using extra dishes whenever possible, whereas I don't actually mind doing dishes, it's kind of relaxing in a strange way).

To continue on that note, then -- get it loose in warm water and pop it into a bowl, then reheat on a low temp (like defrost or 50% power) at least to start with, so you don't wind up with soup blown out the top of the bowl :D 

If you're interested in trying your own recipe, this is my very favorite Whole30 soup: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/

I make a double batch, store it in mason jars, and freeze it. I pull out a jar the night before I plan to eat it and then just reheat and voila! Delicious, cozy soup that's totally healthy and satisfying! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived