Feeling dehydrated

I am rocking Day-13 on my W30 now. It's almost half-over and I'm feeling FANTASTIC...with one exception.

I feel dehydrated all the time. My mouth is dry, my lips are chapped, my throat's rough and I'm thirsty constantly. The symptoms are worse than what happens during my average, drying Cleveland winters too. This is all despite the fact that I'm drinking anywhere from 4-6 of my 24 oz cups of water a day.

I really feel like I'm just peeing it all out or sweating it out during workouts and not holding on to any of it. My boyfriend (who is also on the plan, but a week behind me) suggested that maybe I'm not getting enough sodium in my diet to help me "hold on" to the water. Any thoughts?

On top of drinking all that...my food log looks something like this too...

Breakfast:

Sweet potatoes and ham cubes "hashed" with two scrambled eggs mixed in

Whole tomato, sliced

1 apple

1 cup of coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:

Large Salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce and balsamic/olive oil with a sprinkle of dried seasonings

1 cup of home-made chicken soup chock full of veggies

3 "deviled eggs" made with guacamole and egg yoke instead of mayo

Dinner:

Flank steak with a balsamic marinade

Grilled red cabbage with some olive oil and pink salt

Swiss Chard with (sugarless) jowel bacon and apples (with a touch of apple cider vinegar for kick)

Help!

Sincerely,

Permanently Parched

I'm on day 12 today, and I feel thristy all the time too! The air is dryer for sure around here, but I think it's gotta just be an adjustment to everything going on. I'll be checking back to see what others say about this.

This is my second time doing the whole30 and I noticed that I feel dehydrated no matter how much water I drink. It starts at Day 6 for me. My mouth and eyes get really dry. I wonder if it is either lack of fat (I was eating MUCH more fat before this) or the elimination of dairy that is causing this. I am trying to find information on the exact medical/dietary cause of this dryness. This dehydration subsided when I started eating a normal/paleo diet.

Ham, soup and bacon are all pretty salty things...I'd be thirsty too! I always feel dehydrated when the heater is running all the time too...I was just up north for the holidays and now I have wicked chapped lips :( What about a humidifier for when you're sleeping?

Hi there, this is the case for me too! Just reaching the end of day 9 and thought I would search 'thirsty' on the forum as I've had a raging thirst for the past 3-4 days at least now. I'm drinking LOADS of fluids - much more than usual, lots of water and some herbal teas. I was wondering if the opposite was the issue for me, in that maybe I'm having too much salt? I don't normally add any to my meals and have put it in a couple of recipes.......... I haven't had any ham or bacon - mostly sticking to tuna, mackerel, salmon and minced beef, pork and turkey.

Hi there, this is the case for me too! Just reaching the end of day 9 and thought I would search 'thirsty' on the forum as I've had a raging thirst for the past 3-4 days at least now. I'm drinking LOADS of fluids - much more than usual, lots of water and some herbal teas. I was wondering if the opposite was the issue for me, in that maybe I'm having too much salt? I don't normally add any to my meals and have put it in a couple of recipes.......... I haven't had any ham or bacon - mostly sticking to tuna, mackerel, salmon and minced beef, pork and turkey.

I too have been adding sea salt to some steamed veggies and have never added salt to anything. No ham or bacon either. I'm also drinking A LOT of water and herbal tea. Also my lips are pretty dry. A mod reply here would be nice because I'm really curious!

• 4 weeks later...

Officially on day4 although I was pretty much eating compliant for the week before. So glad to hear I'm not alone! I'm drinking more water than ever and my lips are chapped, my tongue actually feels raspy and I'm thirsty ALL the time! I thought maybe my body was just tuning in to my water needs more since I used to go all day without feeling thirsty...(poor hydration habits!) but this seems extreme - I don't think I've felt this dehydrated since a trip to the desert as a kid!

I second the idea of trying more sodium - especially if you were a soda drinker or if you ate many packaged/processed foods. There is an extreme difference in the amount of sodium consumed in the every day diet of most Americans and the every day diet of most Whole30ers. There's nowhere for us to sneak in added salt! A pinch of salt added to a bottle of water (not enough to taste) or a compliant electrolyte replacement (try elete Electrolytes) may well do the trick.

Archived