Cold treatment

Oats mom

My husband and I had a really terrible virus mid-December. We bought some eucalyptus oil. We either combined it with hot water/salt in a bowl to put our head over, or plugged up the bath, put in drops, got in the shower and closed the door. It is not a cure, but it was very soothing and opened up our airways. Also; sleep and Vitamin C.

Twinings make a great Lemon & Ginger tea, the lemon is lemongrass and the ginger is quite strong.

Your pharmacist should be able to recommend some local products for breathing in vapors (you can also do this with a bowl of water and a towel over your head to hold the vapors in - make it a heavy bowl if you have animals or kids, harder to tip over). In Australia we have Vicks Vaporiser liquid, Friar's Balsam and something that's labelled menthol, but I'm pretty sure it's watered down with other things.

For a really nasty cough, cracked black pepper in hot water can help, but it tastes nasty :)

Ok, I can feel a cold coming on and I have a pesky cough... I have always treated it with honey lemon tea and cough drops but each of them are not whole 30 approved... What's a (sick) girl to do?

Updated 10 Jan · 0 comments

Bone broth - lots of nutrients and easy on the gut

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar in hot water (1 tsp per 1 cup, more or less to taste). When you are off Whole30 you can use a little honey. For now, just suck it up. The ACV really, really does help with a sore throat and digestion.

Capsules from your local "health food store": Bromelain (enzyme from pineapple) and Quercetin. I buy them separately in 500mg capsules each. They are actually both listed as alternative medical treatment (I used to work for UC Davis School of Medicine - an FNP/PA looked it up on his PDA ), as decongestant and/or antihistamines - i don't remember which is which.

Ginger Tea - take a 1" piece of ginger root, peel it, cut it into thin slices. Put them in a 2 quart pot of filter water. Bring to boil for 3 minutes. Trn off heat. Pour half a cup into a mug and add plain water to dilute it until the taste and temperature are good for you. Drink. Ginger is an anti-inflammatory, and this tastes really good. Providing you like the taste of ginger.

Good luck!

P.S. I've used ACV for about 2 years now, daily. I attribute it to lowering my blood pressure after about 6 months. I am never sick - unless I eat dairy.

• 5 months later...

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar in hot water (1 tsp per 1 cup, more or less to taste). When you are off Whole30 you can use a little honey. For now, just suck it up. The ACV really, really does help with a sore throat and digestion.

---

I am going to try this right now for my sore throat, thank you!

Archived